Author Topic: Gibson J-45 custom  (Read 8633 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Gibson J-45 custom
« on: October 19, 2009, 05:15:13 AM »
I can score a brand new Gibson J-45, custom guitar (special binding, inlays) for $1695.  Am I crazy if I don't buy it?
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson J-45 custom
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:45 AM »
That's a great price for a new J-45, and they're still good values at a higher price. I don't think you'll lose money on it if you decide down the road that it's not for you.

OTOH Gibson wouldn't be my first choice.

nofi

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »
i agree. in that price range you can get a much better instrument. you can only stetch the gibson rep so far and when you get into acoustic guitars i would forget about 'em.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:37:42 AM »
That's a great price for a new J-45, and they're still good values at a higher price. I don't think you'll lose money on it if you decide down the road that it's not for you.

OTOH Gibson wouldn't be my first choice.

OK, I hear ya.  What might I consider in that price range?  I went to the shop and played a bunch of guitars and after 4 - 5 (each) Guilds and Taylors, I really did prefer the Gibson's sound and feel.

Any recommendations I should consider?  My mind's open right now.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:59:41 AM »
The J45 is a legend. Buy it!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:02:38 AM »
i agree. in that price range you can get a much better instrument. you can only stetch the gibson rep so far and when you get into acoustic guitars i would forget about 'em.

What would you recommend?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 10:03:30 AM »
The J45 is a legend. Buy it!

I know, I know!  I liked it over the GUilds and Taylors I played at similar prices.  What's a bass player to do???!?!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 10:47:44 AM »
I would look at a Seagull Artist in that price range (Seagull is Godin's premium flattop line). But I'd probably buy a less fancy Seagull and pocket the change.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »
I would look at a Seagull Artist in that price range (Seagull is Godin's premium flattop line). But I'd probably buy a less fancy Seagull and pocket the change.

Why do you like the Seagulls?

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 01:58:09 PM »
Johnathan Livingston...  ;D

Okay Dr Acoustical... if you are spending SERIOUS money on an acoustic (and I don't know your musical background, Bill), your own ears are more important than anyones opinion but I'd probably do a "blindfold" test, to remove the "name -placebo" effect from the equation, once you have your shortlist...

A retirement present to yourself...? (something you said elsewhere, Doc...)

Owning only one acoustic guitar, a 12 string Ibanez V302, that I've had since 1980, with a beautifully sweet tone, even when seriously Alvin'd, and a budget mandolin (with a suspect tone, but it was to learn on, and it was the third one, after a batch of structural issues with  the previous 2...), I'd love to own a true "quality" acoustic, and a mandolin, and a pedal-steel, and a nice acoustic piano, and a double bass, and...  ;D

Oh yeah, and a '57 LP gold top, preferably Duane's, but I'd settle for his slide SG...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 02:20:31 PM »
Why do you like the Seagulls?

I just think they sound great, much better than you would think from their price ranges.

Godin also makes a lower price line called Art & Lutherie, just an amazing value. The cedar and spruce A&L models have solid tops, made in Canada, about $500 with electronics, $350 or less without. Finish isn't as fancy, but they sound great.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
OK, I did play some Martins today and was surprised.  I really liked 2 of them.  I did see some Seagulls at this other shop and didn't think to pick one up.  I have a meeting downtown tomorrow, so I I'll just try a few on the way back.

I am going to go back to the main shop and re-try the Guilds.  I can't help it, but I like them (their look mostly) and listen more carefully.

The main reason for picking up a guitar is two fold.  I need an acoustic to strum around on and I have some friends who play bluegrass and need a rhythm guitar playing, which I could pull off.  I tend to buy higher end stuff so I can make most of my investment back it I decide to flip it.  I am, after all, a guitar ho!  I'd also love to get my hands on a tenor guitar like Tacoma used (?) to make and try that out as well!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 07:01:19 PM »
I would love to have a nice tenor guitar. You have to be careful, though, some manufacturers used to just put a tenor neck on a standard acoustic body instead of voicing it properly.

I'd like to build a solid body tenor. That may be my next project.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 11:31:05 AM »
Yep, I hear ya Dave.  I'd like a Tacoma tenor, assuming they still make the Thunderhawk.  I've never played one, but I did like my baritone Fender Jag that I had a couple years ago.  I got the guys at the shop checking on Tacoma.  I think they are essentially being phased out, but I'm not sure  (figure you probably might know since you seem to have a line on this stuff!).

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »
Tacoma's about gone, they were basically broke when Fender scooped them up, I think they just intended to use the facilities and workers to expand Guild acoustic production.

Martin is making a tenor but it's one of their low end composite top models. Gold Tone imports an acoustic tenor in the $400-500 range.

Earnest Instruments makes a whole line including solidbodies, they're out of my price range.