Author Topic: Gibson J-45 custom  (Read 8635 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson J-45 custom
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »
I can see that baritone project taking a looong time. But at the end you'll have something rare and good.

I'm glad you like the J-45, hard to pass up at such a good price. Aren't all Gibson acoustics made in the Bozeman, Montana factory? That might explain the better build quality than Nashville solidbodies.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 07:03:08 PM »
I can see that baritone project taking a looong time. But at the end you'll have something rare and good.

I'm glad you like the J-45, hard to pass up at such a good price. Aren't all Gibson acoustics made in the Bozeman, Montana factory? That might explain the better build quality than Nashville solidbodies.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how long it takes.  I've got a couple going at the same time, so we'll see.

Yep, the J45s are made in Bozeman.  They do nice work up there in the middle of nowhere!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 06:37:13 AM »
Played the J45 with a bunch of bluegrass folks Friday and it was fun.  Not the usual R&R, but they get together regularly and have a good time.  I was surprised at myself how fast I was able to pick the 6 string up and play again.  It's been 35 years since I played a guitar regularly.  I guess some thing you never forget!  Since they aren't looking for soloists, I'll be able to keep with them.  This is the music I grew up with in southern Ohio (when we weren't overseas), so much of it is familiar to me.  I guess I've come full circle!  Yikes!!!

Might take up string bass next!!!!!!!  Oy!  :o

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 09:20:39 AM »
No, you never forget. I can't even learn to finger chords differently from the way I learned them. Too ingrained. That's probably a good thing.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2009, 11:33:18 AM »
No, you never forget. I can't even learn to finger chords differently from the way I learned them. Too ingrained. That's probably a good thing.

That's for sure.  I noticed the other guitar player fingers an A and D chord differently than I do, but I agree, I can't change it now after all these years!  He might be doing it right, but at least I can do it my way and still sounds good!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2009, 07:37:30 AM »
Too wide a neck for my hands.

Resonators don't have much low end. That's more of a concern with a baritone.

A couple of years ago I saw this guy playing a baritone resonator. I was surprised how it sounded, but kept my cool. My wife's jaw dropped open and stayed on the floor for most of the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLbo4xDMWy8&feature=related

nofi

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2009, 08:14:04 AM »
yeah, V8 FORD. that damn car has been popping up in roots type music for years. ;D

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2009, 09:36:24 PM »
As usual, I misspoke.  I meant Tacoma Baritone, not Tenor.  I've messed a round with a tenor an it's not for me.  I really like the depth of a baritone and was hoping to find something.  Instead, I'm working with a friend who makes Gretsch style hollow bodies and I'm eventually going to make my own hollow baritone with his guidance.

Meanwhile, thanks also for the Seagull tip, they are nice, but I found a Godin I like better, the 5th. Ave.!!!  Now if I can just find one to play!   :-\

Mighty purty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »
DOH, I forgot to mention that I took the dive for a Gibson J45 flat top yesterday, I'm such a guitar ho!  I really did fall in love with the sound and playability of it.  As a bassist, it was very comfortable for me and I was impressed with the build of it, much better than many Gibson basses I've seen!!!  It's a rarer blonde model, natural mahogany back and sides, spruce top.  Kinda different from the dark stained mahogany you typically see from Gibson.  I decided not to take the darker custom I was originally considering.  I like the lighter one much more.  I'll post some pics soon........

Congratulations! Where are those pics???

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 06:16:04 AM »
Yikes, I forgot all about this thread!  I'll post some soon, got lots of family rolling in this week!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 05:11:06 PM »
Yikes, I forgot all about this thread!  I'll post some soon, got lots of family rolling in this week!

Anything special goin' on, Bill...?  :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2010, 09:47:42 AM »
Finally got around to this........here she is!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2010, 10:04:25 AM »
Nice clean lines... how's she sounding...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2010, 10:49:34 AM »
Wow! It's weird to see a totally clean, unmarked acoustic. I'm so used to looking at my well used Guild. That's a beautiful guitar. Though again, I'm so used to looking at my jumbo that the shoulders of that body look melted to me. It's so skinny!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2010, 11:26:54 AM »
Sure is purty.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird