Author Topic: Gibson J-45 custom  (Read 8636 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson J-45 custom
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2010, 01:57:37 PM »
She sounds great to me.  Nice volume, deep lower end, clear articulate mids and highs.  A nice playing guitar all the way around.  Still gassing for a baritone.  Don't have time to build one as I had hoped, but will give it some thought later in the year.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2010, 08:53:44 AM »
You and Scott just gonna have to get together for that bluegrass session...  ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2010, 12:10:45 PM »
You and Scott just gonna have to get together for that bluegrass session...  ;D

Oh yeah, yehawwwwww!

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2010, 03:05:42 AM »
Wow! It's weird to see a totally clean, unmarked acoustic. I'm so used to looking at my well used Guild. That's a beautiful guitar. Though again, I'm so used to looking at my jumbo that the shoulders of that body look melted to me. It's so skinny!

I'm with you there. I've got a square shouldered 1973 J50, which was Gibson's attempt at looking like a Martin dreadnought. The round shouldered ones look really odd to me, not to mention one without varnish crazing and a sound hole not worn out by crazy pick strokes and the aftermath of soundhole pickups.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2010, 04:42:45 AM »
My Ibanez is a disgrace...  ;D

The last shot of the herd prior to starting on the rebuild...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2010, 06:27:07 AM »
I'm with you there. I've got a square shouldered 1973 J50, which was Gibson's attempt at looking like a Martin dreadnought. The round shouldered ones look really odd to me, not to mention one without varnish crazing and a sound hole not worn out by crazy pick strokes and the aftermath of soundhole pickups.

Yep, they all have to start out squeaky clean at some point in their lives!!!  In due time..........

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2010, 08:44:10 AM »
(the sides and the back are just as "alternate")

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2010, 10:42:47 AM »
My Ibanez is a disgrace...  ;D

The last shot of the herd prior to starting on the rebuild...

Whats this little decapitated guy? Looks cool.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2010, 01:42:07 PM »
Hohner Jack - much underrated instrument...

Mine originally came with 2 EMG selects/2 vol/1 tone/mini pup selector/through neck with a Precision "D" profile 34" scale/Steinberger liscensed hardware/shape is similar to a Status bass - no idea what the wood is, mahogany and ebony like...

She lay in her case for over a decade and was still in tune - no joke... only mods I have carried out is an XLR connector and losing the tone control...

They usually go for £250 to £350, sometimes higher - there are "Pro" and acctive versions, also "paddles" and 5 stringers, also guitars...

I bought her in '87 as a secondary instrument (the RD was V sick at the time with a faulty PCB, which eventually was dumped; the Dimarzio MB1 in the Cook was a hate object most of the time - replaced with an EMG select, still ended up as a secondary, used for recordings) and she ended up as a primary until I stopped playing live...

Abused, like most of my instruments...

I presume I'm the only one here that owns one...? Not heard much mention elsewhere of mutants, though I know Ronn owns a "genuine" Steinie...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2010, 05:48:12 AM »
Well, I will say that the J-45 was my second choice when I bought a guitar.  My first was the Gibson Jumbo, but it was a bit pricey.  I've been watching them on eBay and might jump on a used one in the future.  I've also considered buying the Martin kit and building one myself!  Wouldn't be that hard really!

This is my next guitar if I can ever swing it............  ($5000 MSRP!)

Or, I might do this one..........a Martin Jumbo kit.  I could dress it up any  way I'd like!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2010, 06:34:32 AM »
That is a truly beautiful instrument, but just one point...

A Martin kit - never knew such things existed...

Now, you've just bought two acoustics (which I presume are not your only ones) and you're known for being a luthier - you want something special to see you into your retirement, and Martin's are regarded as being great acoustics - building something special will make it something to cherish, and eventually, it will become a family heirloom...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2010, 09:19:22 AM »
That is a truly beautiful instrument, but just one point...

A Martin kit - never knew such things existed...

Now, you've just bought two acoustics (which I presume are not your only ones) and you're known for being a luthier - you want something special to see you into your retirement, and Martin's are regarded as being great acoustics - building something special will make it something to cherish, and eventually, it will become a family heirloom...

Good point!  I really do enjoy doing things myself.  I was thinking I could customize the headstock, put in fancy fretboard inlays, make a custom pickguard and do a cool tinted finish.  In a couple years I'll have time enough to build anything I want!  I hear you about the family heirlooms.  My parents were military folks and we moved so much that most stuff we had either disappeared, got lost or broken.  Only a few family mementos survived all the years of the gypsy life.

Oh Kenny, I forgot to mention that you can buy the Martin kits online at their website.  None of them are over $495, IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 10:17:59 AM by drbassman »

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2010, 12:42:24 PM »
Now, if I had your clamps...  ;)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »
Without clamps, life in the shop would be impossible.   :P

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
I have four, and one of those yard long variable things... totally zip use for an acoustic build...