Author Topic: Gibson J-45 custom  (Read 8632 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson J-45 custom
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 04:05:07 PM »
As usual, I misspoke.  I meant Tacoma Baritone, not Tenor.  I've messed a round with a tenor an it's not for me.  I really like the depth of a baritone and was hoping to find something.  Instead, I'm working with a friend who makes Gretsch style hollow bodies and I'm eventually going to make my own hollow baritone with his guidance.

Meanwhile, thanks also for the Seagull tip, they are nice, but I found a Godin I like better, the 5th. Ave.!!!  Now if I can just find one to play!   :-\

I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2009, 09:26:08 PM »
Oh yeah, I do like the looks of the 5th Avenues and the price is amazing. Haven't played one yet though.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 02:48:31 PM »
Beautiful...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 03:26:16 PM »
Yep, it is pretty, but hard to find in our neck o' the woods!  I might buy one just for the hell of it to try out, they aren't that expensive and made in North America!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 03:35:39 PM »
Just looks so old, in such a good way... new vintage... if they are not way OTT pricewise, and if the look fits the bill, Bill... as you say, she can always move on...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:34 PM »
We have a 5th Ave in the acoustic room.  I'll have to give it a spin tomorrow and see what it sounds like. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2009, 12:39:01 PM »
We have a 5th Ave in the acoustic room.  I'll have to give it a spin tomorrow and see what it sounds like. 

Thanks!  I'm mainly concerned about its volume.  I've played a Gretsch G100 and a newer Hofner.  They played well but had little volume/projection to speak of.  A J-45 really does have good tone IMHO, and so do many of the new Guilds.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »
If you want PROJECTION... buy a wooden DOBRO or a steel NATIONAL...!  ;D

I've always wanted to get a resonator; I tend to use my SG as a "lap-steel" when she get's out; love slide...  I guess I'd like to settle into old age and not worry about the arthritis, and still be able to play a tune or two, so a piece of glass, a few old strings, a horrifically loud amplifier, as I'd be so deaf I'd play by "feel"... the "feel" of my solar-plexus vibrating...

Sorry... I wandered...  ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
Buy the version with the optional P-90, that will project all to the back row of the venue down the street.  8)

There are several video reviews on YouTube. Sure sounds nice. That said, I don't think any archtop will project like a dread.

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2009, 10:18:42 AM »
I checked out yesterday.  I only had a minute to play it but I was actually surprised by the volume.  The tone was kind of thin but I bet it would sound much better with acoustic strings on it.  It sure seemed like it would be a good value for the price.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2009, 04:00:44 PM »
I'll have to find one to play.

From what I've read, its tone is supposed to be fuller than a typical archtop. I would expect the tone to be thinner than a flattop.

It's not designed for bronze strings, at least not the P-90 version.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2009, 04:49:34 AM »
While searching around for baritone info I found this cool instrument....................

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2009, 06:53:25 AM »
Too wide a neck for my hands.

Resonators don't have much low end. That's more of a concern with a baritone.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 04:54:04 AM »
Too wide a neck for my hands.

Resonators don't have much low end. That's more of a concern with a baritone.

Yeah, I agree the resonator isn't a low end instrument, but they can be fun to play.  I'm gonna pick up a cheap one off eBay later this year to fool around with.  I'm planning my retirement (2 years and 1 month, but who's counting!!!) around stringed instruments.

After much discussion around acoustic baritones, I've decided to build my own!  An online friend in the Reranch forum makes acoustic archtops and we are going to collaborate.  He's going to bend the sides for me and coach me through the build process, with the help of the Benedetto book.  It's going to be modeled after a Gretsch 6119 Broadkaster bass, but the sides will be 4" deep.  I'm going with mahogany back and sides and a maple carved top.  A 3 piece maple neck will round things out.  It's have a Gretsch headstock and Ric f-holes like my 4005 clone.  Unless I change my mind again!  Once we get started, I'll start a thread here to share.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 04:58:15 AM »
DOH, I forgot to mention that I took the dive for a Gibson J45 flat top yesterday, I'm such a guitar ho!  I really did fall in love with the sound and playability of it.  As a bassist, it was very comfortable for me and I was impressed with the build of it, much better than many Gibson basses I've seen!!!  It's a rarer blonde model, natural mahogany back and sides, spruce top.  Kinda different from the dark stained mahogany you typically see from Gibson.  I decided not to take the darker custom I was originally considering.  I like the lighter one much more.  I'll post some pics soon........