Author Topic: show your multiple bass pictures!  (Read 80411 times)

mc2NY

• View Profile
Re: show your multiple bass pictures!
« Reply #105 on: November 29, 2012, 11:34:58 AM »
Wish I had one of the ones on the right.  My understanding was that there are only about a dozen.  Someone on TB owns a pair of them, as I recall.

The Hamers in this pic you posted are also a couple of mine....for my next group shot of "strange hamers."  :)

And yes, the Violin Basses are longscale. They are solid body too. But, interestingly, I bought a Hoefner/Klira hollow-body body only from a former Hamer employee who got it AT the Hamer factory. I'm guessing the had it for reference when they designed their Violin Bass? I don't remember if it is a Hofner or a Klira...it's in a box in my parts stash. I recall it was an unfinished one that may still have had bindling glue residue from the German factory. Made me wonder if Hamer made a hollow-body prototype of its Violin Bass that is stashed somewhere?

Hamer made a Violin Bass for Paul MacCartney but he apparently didn't care for the boomerang inlays. I've seen Jack Blades with a couple and I know Michael Anthony has one and a collector I know has at least two....so that does not leave many others floating around.

Love mine! Plays/sounds great and looks killer with the white annodized hardware and tea cup knobs on a really dark metallic blue with oversized creme binding. One of those basses that get "whoaaaa" whenever I take it out.

That korina Standard 5 (not a Blitz) with 2TEK bridge, ebony 'board w/o inlays and the early '70s style headstock, I believe, is the only Standard 5-string ever made. A lucky "Buy It Now" EBAY score from around 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 11:55:28 AM by mc2NY »

Shark

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 29, 2012, 01:05:33 PM »
Yeah...Here is the details for any Hamer fans:

They made less than 10 of those 12-knob Quads and mine is one of, I believe, the only two remaining with the original wiring still intact...and maybe the only one that also has the required Quad breakout box interface. I think they only did two in Sunburst. Got it from the original owner who produced Eric Johnson's early stuff and owns the largest recording studio down in TX.

Those 4 string LP Jr-bodied Hamers are B4S models -- hard to find the 4-string ones. That one and the 8-string B8S version are both in the SN#100-200 range...same with the Quadbass. The Standard (Explorer) is in the SN#050 range and is the one I got from Herman Brood's bassist, Freddie Cavalli, teh original owner.

But probably even rarer is the TLE (Tele) Bass...never a catalog model and custom made for the top Hamer bass salesmen in the mid-80s. Also the one on the far left is listed as a "Three-Coil Bass" and was never a catalog model. Sort of a prototype based on the Hamer 6-string model actually called a Prototype. The guitar had a triple-coil humbucker at the bridge, si I'm guessing that's why the bass is called a "Three-Coil" in th factory logs, even though it doesn't have a three-coil PUP in it. Both of those basses have very Gibson-ish TBird long-scale necks on them.

The blue sparkle 90s Cruisebass is actually one of the few custom-made for Jeff Ament with his larger "Bigfoot" headstock design.

The TBird is the best of the half-dozen Hamer ones I've had and was made for the guy in Molly Hatchet and later owned by the guy in L.A. Guns. Great bass with a thinner neck profile than most of them and an ebony 'board...finish is also bursted on the back and neck.

The flying V 8-string is the only one ever made and sort of based on the very first Hamer ever made...which actually WAS A FLYING V 4-string BASS!!  Yeah, Hamer started with a BASS built for Jol Dantzig -- which he still owns!!

The Monaco 12-string Bass on the right is one of only two ever made (the other was semi-gloss black) and custom-made for Mesa Boogie in Hollywood, CA. Crazy figured top on it and creme binding. I've owned maybe 25 Hamer 12-strings and this is the best playing long-scale one of the bunch and 3 or 4 pounds lighter than the B12A ones because it is chambered. They also set it up with the octaves close together, so it plays more like an 8-string than a 12.

I own a lot of Hamers...VERY under-rated basses and every bit as good (many say better) than any bass Gibson has churned out, even in its Custom Shop.

Well Jon. Great collection for sure.  :o

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 30, 2012, 07:18:27 PM »

Here are mine in 2 separate pics.  These are my P/J's.  The '81 Washburn is the lightest of the trio with the newly acquired '84 Guild Pilot (Thanks Gary!!) a close second.  The '85 Spector NS-2 (Brooklyn) is pretty stout but sounds amazing.  It is one of the first to have the Spector bridge instead of the Badass.  I've seen #880 with a Badass and mine is #887.

Next are my "Fender" trio. (only 1 is a Fender  8) )  The '81 Kramer Pioneer Imperial is a great sounding instrument although the placement of the "J" pickup is further back than I would prefer.  I mainly use it as a "P" bass.  When I bought it somebody had added a poorly cut pickguard so it has the holes left from the long trashed pickguard.  The '76 Ibanez Black Eagle is an anvil.  Not sure why these were always so heavy but they sure look cool and sound even better!   The Fender Precision is a '57 Reissue and the pots are dated November '82.  I've not had the neck off or the pickups off to see any additional dates.  It sounds great and has a beautifully worn in neck.  It is the lightest of the trio by a long shot.  I really should get a good digital scale.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
All of them have their original cases except the '82 reissue.  I bought a brand new tweed case for it.  And yes, I do love my maple fingerboards.  :)

ramone57

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2012, 09:18:02 PM »
Most of mine appear in these pics...

83 'Ray w/79 Sabre fretless neck, 73 Triumph, 83 Alembic, 68 EB-3, 76 Thunderbird, 79 Mockingbird, 66 EB-2D, MIJ Precision, Ibanez ST-980

Early 73 JG and 78 MG 4001s, BaCHBird, and a couple of Roland guitars

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #111 on: December 04, 2012, 05:03:49 AM »
My P -style basses:

Ville Tyyster Telecaster bass, Frankenstein 1 ('75 P-body, Allparts neck, reverse-P & J pickups), Frankenstein 2 (Hosco body, Mighty Mite neck)

T-Birds's:

'76 Gibson, Marko Ursin non-reverse

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »
I love that Ville Tyyster Telecaster bass!  Can you tell me more about them?  Are they still available or what the used price values are on them?

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2012, 08:47:59 PM »
I love that Ville Tyyster Telecaster bass!  Can you tell me more about them?  Are they still available or what the used price values are on them?

Sad to say that he quit the business (the usual reasons: it doesn't support a family) and as far as I can tell he only made three. I also know who own the other two so if they come available I'll let you know.:)

My bass was built in 2004, it was the first bass he did. There's a small print of "Made in Korea" at the back of the headstock because, to quote the luthier: "if it turns out shite it won't ruin my reputation".  ;D Hence the "Area 53" logo on the front. Luckily, it turned out fantastic.
It originally had a black pickguard but I prefer the white. I usually have the pickup ashtray on and while it looks great with both ashtrays I always end up removing the other because it quite effectively prevents palm muting.:)

I used it on our album for a few tracks and it especially sounds good with a slight distortion, as Telebasses usually do. Here's an isolated bass track bit, the Tyyster Tele played through Hiwatt DR103 and Ampeg E810 (can't remember what mic was used, probably a Sennheiser):

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2012, 07:05:57 PM »
Had another nice day so added my Bass VI to the mix of MIJ basses:

rexdiablo

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2012, 09:03:06 PM »
Here's what will fit on the guest room bed. I need to clear out the practice space and get them all in 1 place for a family photo sometime!
L-5500, Roscoe LG-2000, SB-1, Hoppus P, L-2000, longhorn RI, L-1000, 2 Hallmark sweptwings
Go fast, take chances.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 11, 2012, 06:21:38 AM »
OK here goes........

Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Grog

• Low Impedance LP's
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 14, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »
Here is a numerically correct photo of some of my EB's.......... EB-0,1,2,3&4

There's no such thing as gravity, the earth just sucks!!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 15, 2012, 07:48:14 AM »
My Carvins. The red one is gone, the natural one is the bass I use the most. The blue one sounds the best.

They look similar but each is a different model. From left to right: B-4, TBS-4, LB-20.

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 15, 2012, 07:50:17 AM »
A couple of Ric 4003S's that I no longer own. I sold them to fund the purchase of a 4001V63