Author Topic: show your multiple bass pictures!  (Read 79655 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: show your multiple bass pictures!
« Reply #315 on: August 20, 2015, 08:11:59 AM »
Mom told me not to spend too much time at the Fender section. That's no good company, she said.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 20, 2015, 11:54:41 AM »
I played a Rascal in Paris last month and was thoroughly impressed. It's a really good bass.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 20, 2015, 02:45:21 PM »
I forgot to mention that the guy doing the demo missed the push-pull volume knob, which gives you even more tonal options. He said in the comments that they shot the demo before the specs had been released and he didn't think to check for it.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2015, 05:22:04 AM »
its obvious that amp choices have a lot to do with tone. are all the controls set on flat? reviewers often miss explaining what the amp is and how its set up. you could have a bunch of guys with different amps reviewing the same bass and the results would be skewed. :o
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 21, 2015, 06:35:51 AM »
its obvious that amp choices have a lot to do with tone. are all the controls set on flat? reviewers often miss explaining what the amp is and how its set up. you could have a bunch of guys with different amps reviewing the same bass and the results would be skewed. :o

That's true of any YT demo.

In the comments, someone asks if it's going through a Sansamp, he says "Nope. Totally clean, through a basic DI."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2015, 03:59:00 PM »

My Koleckshun, minus a Squier Bronco that got left in the other room....

Back row, L>R: Gretsch 1222; Gretsch ThunderJet; Univox 335-copy ("Coily" if you wish); Gretsch 5123; Dean Stylist/Cabbie bass

Front row, L>R: Applause AE-40; 1964 Gibson EB-0; Unknown brand-probably Lotus bass, defret and refin by me; 1963 Precision.

Just for grins, here's a shot of all the solid-bodies, which includes the Squier Bronco (with TV Jones design Gretsch 2202 pickup) on the right.  I just realized - the only 34" scale basses I still have are the Lotus and the Precision.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 24, 2015, 11:28:48 AM »
What is that mock-Fender P straight out of hell in red and black? A satanic instrument if I have ever seen one!

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 24, 2015, 12:25:34 PM »
how many fully functional basses did you have before you found this place. :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 24, 2015, 03:16:04 PM »
I deny any and all responsibility.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #324 on: August 24, 2015, 06:41:01 PM »
What is that mock-Fender P straight out of hell in red and black? A satanic instrument if I have ever seen one!

That is a P/J bass of unknown brand that I bought in a pawn shop for around $60.  It was missing one string and one tuner and was covered with runny black spray paint.  I wanted a defret project, and it looked likely.

later I discovered it was probably a Lotus bass, as the headstock and layout match the Lotus pictures I have seen.

It's a laminate body but nice neck that's very stable.  I stripped it, defretted (about 8-10 hours on that, being very picky) and painted in acrylic lacquer.  Undercoat is a rattle can silver, with the top 7 coats all being clear lacquer applied using an automotive detail gun.  Four or five coats were tinted cherry red, and the edges were of course tinted black.  Three clear coats over the top, then hand-sanded and polished with 3-M Finnesse-it II machine polish. 

The bridge is a very nice old Guild model I found on Ebay, where I also found the black tuners and the Dimarzio pickups. The pots are actually stack-pots with tone and volume for each individual pickup, because....why not?

It's not quite WSU Cougar crimson, but close enough.

I think it turned out rather nicely, myself.

Back:

Certainly not the equal of the work of Dr. Bassman or Carlo, but I thought I showed some ability.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 06:32:48 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 25, 2015, 03:07:46 AM »
I really like it, it immediately caught my eye, well-done! Red and black is just a classic match. Offer a production run to these friendly God-fearing Swedish chaps:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 25, 2015, 06:01:44 AM »
is this a new disney thing. :)that p bass looks so out of place in that band. :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2015, 06:53:12 AM »
They are making waves, three albums out, each one selling more than the predecessor. I always thought they were some horrific Thrash Metal band with grunty vocals (in fact they never grunt) before I heard them, but they are melodic to the point of (dark) pop. There is even a certain early BÖC and Doors influence, eerie but sweet.

The constrained image and the look will of course one day be their downfall, there are limits to how long you can credibly (or rather: incredulously) chant

Come Together
Together As one
Come Together
For Lucifer's Son

No doubt they will one day grow out of it and thereby split their fanbase in two.

The band plays some humebug with their identities and true look akin to early Kiss, the pope character/lead singer is just an image effigy (and has changed from album to album with not much influence on the largely layered vocals which are not really hard rock or heavy metal at all), the musical mastermind is one of the devil-masked "Nameless Ghouls", probably one of the RD playing lead guitarists. Of course, in this day and age you can google his true identity with some patience but the media is so far happy to go along with it and I haven't bothered. Thankfully, the band see themselves as "entertainers" and not as satanists. That is the thing with satanists of course, the ones that claim to be almost never are, and the ones that are don't tell.

I'm sure their image will be good enough for some CD burnings (hard to burn downloads) in the Bible Belt if they ever tour there and isn't that all that counts? If Disney endorsed them, I'm not sure whether that might not raise some unrest in more conservative shareholder quarters!  :mrgreen:

And I agree, no way Beelzebub can be pleased with a P Bass in this band, bolt-on is after all inherently a concept of that dreaded Nazarene!  8)

When I listen to their music at home Edith inevitably (after humming to the melodies at first) goes: "The crap lyrics! I can't believe that you can listen to this immature nonsense!" And I go: "What's wrong with being immature, honey?"  ;D
« Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 07:04:49 AM by uwe »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2015, 07:29:12 AM »
Yeah, they're darlings in the local music/weekly p[apoers here too.  I find their image to be a complete mismatch with the music (genrewise, the lyrics are satanic enough to match - I find that kind of shit kinda juvenile though; it's not even that shocking anymore).  The production and arrangements are good, but I find it boring (too pop).

On a positive note, their guitard rocks an RD.  ... I wonder why RD 6 bangers , when in the hands of white dudes, always get used in such non-aggressive music (see also, Foo Fighters).  The Japanese have the right idea tho as do most white bassists.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2015, 08:30:22 AM »
To slightly adjust the old saying about being a fervent young as opposed to a fervent old communist: If you are not a satanist at 15 you probably have no romance in you and if you still are one at 55 you probably have no sense.

There is prevalent evil in the world, no doubt, but even as a child I found it a difficult concept to ascribe it to one force only. Too easy and own responsibility-shunning. As your Canadian countryman once so aptly sang: "I can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell".  :mrgreen: For the time being my presumptions are (i) there is no devil (ii) proof of existence of God is like proof of finish influencing sound, uhum, difficult.  Or maybe they are one and the same in a ying and yang way.

In principle, Satanism is just inverted Christianity, isn't their concept in the Alistair Crowley school of thought that Satan is not evil as he accepts man's freedom of choice while God is a benign dictator forever wishing to extradite the animal in us? We'll have to ask Jimmy Page for more details I think.

No joke: As I write this, the random function of my office stereo (I have almost 800 CDs stored losslessly in full) jumps to - you guessed it - Black Sabbath's Black Sabbath "What is this that stands before me ...". Ok, ok, I recant, the devil exists alright!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: