Author Topic: I've heard of 11-year old girls aping Taylor, Katie, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga ...  (Read 11038 times)

westen44

• View Profile
This reminds me of once when I had a temporary job in Cleveland, Ohio.  In the break room, one of the employees was taking about a quick trip he had taken through the South.  He seemed genuinely perplexed and disappointed that he hadn't seen any plantations.  This also reminds me of how weary the Dutch must get with people talking about windmills, wooden shoes, pot, prostitutes, and tulips. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
you guys watch too much bad television.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
I remember when Deliverance came out...

My best buddy and I borrowed a 16-foot canoe and took a four-day vacation over spring break that year, canoeing down the east side of Coeur d'Alene lake in northern Idaho. (It's a really big lake - 30+ miles long, and big enough that it had steamboats in the early part of the previous century.) We camped on beaches and left each one cleaner than we found it. It was too early for anyone to be at their vacation homes, so we had no hassles. 

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
This reminds me of once when I had a temporary job in Cleveland, Ohio.  In the break room, one of the employees was taking about a quick trip he had taken through the South.  He seemed genuinely perplexed and disappointed that he hadn't seen any plantations.  This also reminds me of how weary the Dutch must get with people talking about windmills, wooden shoes, pot, prostitutes, and tulips.

I assure you: All five items are alive and well with our neighbours! You forgot dams and dykes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
I assure you: All five items are alive and well with our neighbours! You forgot dams and dykes.

Well, I'd say the prevalence of wooden shoes has diminished, though.  They may exist, but more as an oddity. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 07:52:36 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
In regard to hillbillies, notice what Bob Dylan says in this second paragraph in his description of rock:

Traditional rock & roll, we're talking about that. It's all about rhythm. Johnny Cash said it best: "Get rhythm. Get rhythm when you get the blues." Very few rock & roll bands today play with rhythm. They don't know what it is. Rock & roll is a combination of blues, and it's a strange thing made up of two parts. A lot of people don't know this, but the blues, which is an American music, is not what you think it is. It's a combination of Arabic violins and Strauss waltzes working it out. But it's true.

The other half of rock & roll has got to be hillbilly. And that's a derogatory term, but it ought not to be. That's a term that includes the Delmore Bros., Stanley Bros., Roscoe Holcomb, Git Tanner and the Skillet Lickers... groups like that. Moonshine gone berserk. Fast cars on dirt roads. That's the kind of combination that makes up rock & roll, and it can't be cooked up in a science laboratory or a studio.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
In regard to hillbillies, notice what Bob Dylan says in this second paragraph in his description of rock:

Traditional rock & roll, we're talking about that. It's all about rhythm. Johnny Cash said it best: "Get rhythm. Get rhythm when you get the blues." Very few rock & roll bands today play with rhythm. They don't know what it is. Rock & roll is a combination of blues, and it's a strange thing made up of two parts. A lot of people don't know this, but the blues, which is an American music, is not what you think it is. It's a combination of Arabic violins and Strauss waltzes working it out. But it's true.

The other half of rock & roll has got to be hillbilly. And that's a derogatory term, but it ought not to be. That's a term that includes the Delmore Bros., Stanley Bros., Roscoe Holcomb, Git Tanner and the Skillet Lickers... groups like that. Moonshine gone berserk. Fast cars on dirt roads. That's the kind of combination that makes up rock & roll, and it can't be cooked up in a science laboratory or a studio.

And the guy who really brought both halves together is Chuck Berry.

westen44

• View Profile
And the guy who really brought both halves together is Chuck Berry.

Now we're getting somewhere.  Chuck Berry may very well be the most important, but a few others made major contributions, too--Bill Haley, for example. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:13:09 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
...how weary the Dutch must get with people talking about windmills, wooden shoes, pot, prostitutes, and tulips.
Here it's grass shacks, hula skirts and a coconut/pineapple diet.
As if Gilligan were everyone's neighbor...
 :rolleyes:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Now we're getting somewhere.  Chuck Berry may very well be the most important, but a few others made major contributions, too--Bill Haley, for example.

Right.

Chuck grew up in St.Louis listening to country music. Bill Haley's band evolved from The Saddlemen to the Comets.

westen44

• View Profile
Right.

Chuck grew up in St.Louis listening to country music. Bill Haley's band evolved from The Saddlemen to the Comets.

And before the Saddlemen, the Four Aces of Western Swing. 

Chuck Berry's influence was immeasurable.  His influence was direct and literally overwhelming.  I don't even have a favorite Chuck Berry song.  There are too many. 

Edit:
Just found this---(I doubt if everyone would agree with the list--I don't--but it's a start.)  At the very least, the David Bowie version of "Around and Around" should be replaced with the Stones. 

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-Greatest-Covers-of-Chuck-Berry-Songs.aspx
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:49:49 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
Here it's grass shacks, hula skirts and a coconut/pineapple diet.
As if Gilligan were everyone's neighbor...
 :rolleyes:

But the majority of people on the mainland want to visit Hawaii.  The image could hardly be any more positive. 

--Blaise Pascal

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
I can take you to see the people who are really like Deliverance, which took place in the Ozarks, not really the South, but a similar culture. There are quite a few inbred welfare families that definitely fit that bill, with the sad situation of a lazy patriarch using his daughters as breeding stock to keep the gubmint money coming in with a loose conflagration of transient girlfriends who leave their kids behind.  There used to be a house full of them on the back side of the family farm in Hancock county and when my uncle had a good year selling cattle, he bought them out for the land, tore down the house and extended the pasture fence a bit. They were the embodiment of every southern stereotype you could think of, complete with junked cars in the yard,  a toilet on the front porch, and the inbred, developmentally disabled kid who played guitar and banjo. They smelled awful, and were pretty pitiful. Child Services finally was able to rescue several of the kids after they were able to prove that they were the products of incest.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
i don't know what south you guys are talking about because i can go years without seeing overalls. not even at walmart. i used to spend a lot of time in rural georgia but its basically blue jeans. sorry to rain on your hillbilly delusions.  :o

I'm in the Houston area and i see overalls on a regular basis - they're not real common but I do see them.  Keep in mind that I'm in one of the more affluent bedroom cities that ring Houston proper.  Houston is an odd mix - most likely that half of the population is from somewhere else so it's gets a bit eclectic - think south of the border meets the "yankee north" with a goodly mix of natives - it's quite the mashup.

I traveled heavily from the mid eighties to about 2001 for work.  I got fairly good at hiding my accent while in the north as I got tired of having to explain that I had only one oil well and just few head of cattle in my back yard ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 04:37:06 PM by Lightyear »

nofi

• View Profile
that's because houston is not in the "real south".
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead