Author Topic: I've heard of 11-year old girls aping Taylor, Katie, Beyoncé and Lady Gaga ...  (Read 11045 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Hanging around in bars...? What sort of bars...?

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
Old men discussing the merits of young girls' singing.
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2015, 07:42:45 AM »
I'm going to attempt to tie this thread back together. Chuck Berry was awesome but there's only one King of Rock and Roll and that's Elvis. Here's a relative of his bearing his surname and it sounds like there are some Nashville cats backing her up.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Pleasant enough, but sounds like production-line Nashville to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

4stringer77

• View Profile
Presleys
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2015, 12:23:10 PM »
I wasn't bowled over either, just thought it was handy for the thread. For the record, I prefer early Chuck Berry to early Elvis. Elvis's best stuff to me was from the late 60's to early 70's

nofi

• View Profile
elvis was no more the king of rock than mj was the king of pop. berry wrote dozens of songs which would be come rock standards while elvis did not write anything or so very little that no one noticed. if it wasn't for that crook col. parker, elvis may still be driving that truck.

also, chuck berry was a  badass and the real reason for mothers to lock up their daughters.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 12:00:31 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

4stringer77

• View Profile
That's a tad harsh. Millions of rednecks can't be wrong.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
King is as King does - Elvis owned rock & roll for a number of years, and was one of the top media figures during that time.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Lauren Marie Presley --  example # umpteen that talent is rarely inherited. And reason # umpteen why I rarely listen to the children of famous musicians.

They get a break because of who their parent is, not because of talent.

westen44

• View Profile
This is what it might have sounded like if Robert Plant had had to call in sick and be replaced by Elvis the day of the recording.

This is what it might have sounded like if the whole band had had to call in sick.

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

wellREDman

• View Profile
This is what it might have sounded like if Robert Plant had had to call in sick and be replaced by Elvis the day of the recording.

Love it!
 there's an Elvis impersonator called  Jim "the King" Brown who's whole schtick is doing covers of other dead rock stars, I've got his first album Gravelands which I listen to surprisingly often, and in looking for this link I've just discovered theres another one...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Chuck wrote great songs and did witty lyrics, but his voice was nowhere near Elvis' (nor needed it to be). The older I get, the more I like the velvety warmth in Elvis' voice which wasn't strictly rock but encompassed so much more, gospel, country, old-fashioned crooning. Elvis wasn't a songwriter nor did he aspire to be one, but he certainly had a knack for choosing the right material to make it his own.

Like many, I used to mock him (largely based on his later Las Vegas or Hawaii shows though these are not musically without merit either), but these days I accept that he was one of a kind. In Graceland, I read a comment along the lines of that Elvis' secret was that he was dangerous enough to be an attraction for white youth, but not too dangerous to really shake the tree of their parents. And really: no white guy sang like him before he hit the airwaves.

And, hey, he was - along with Little Richard - an early inspiration to a certain Brit ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Getting a little closer back to the thread title....  Have you all seen this already?  The bassist is only nine!  The oldest, on guitar, is 14.

They do their own songs too! I actually prefer this...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Yes, I've seen The Warning, and I also like their own songs better than their covers.

When it comes to young talent, though, it's hard to top the Mizzone brothers from New Jersey a/k/a the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys. This clip is nearly three years old. Great cover of Flint Hill Special.