Author Topic: NBD - Gibson Les Paul Bass & Cherry Midtown  (Read 10780 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: NBD - Gibson Les Paul Bass & Cherry Midtown
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2014, 06:19:48 AM »
I'm with Dave on this one.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2014, 11:29:08 AM »
Yep - talked to AMS and this is going back.   Hopefully third time's a charm.  He said they only have two left, so I had him check to see if it's a return, or a brand new unit. Supposedly it's factory sealed - so we'll see.  Fingers crossed...

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
Numero Tres has arrived...

I'm surprised how much variation there is among these Midtowns. This one is spot on for fit and finish, and the prettiest of the three since it has a lot more interesting grain pattern in the maple top. It was hard to photograph, but you can sort of make it out. The binding on the fingerboard is by far the best of the three also,  and the edges have all been nicely smoothed and it just feels "right". You can tell by looking that someone took their time and did it by hand. The black paint in the F holes is comparable to the first bass, not perfect, but very acceptable, and the nitro is very nicely done with zero orange peel.  Being a Gibson, it did have to have one flaw:  the neck pickup was literally flopping around under the cover enough to make a "thunk" sound. I removed the cover, added another piece of foam, and it's back in business.  The sound is very good, and it isn't as soft as the first one I received, but it also isn't as P-bass'ish sounding as the second one. This one resides somewhere in between.  Assuming the finish doesn't fall off this one, or something else weird happen - it's a keeper.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 01:38:03 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »

It looks great Clint!
Total classic in that color with the chrome hardware  :)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2014, 09:35:19 PM »
Third time's a charm!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2014, 08:06:04 AM »
That is a nice looker, congrats on your patience.  As for the pup, I've now put additional foam under the Midtown, LP Sig RI and my SG.  All of them were low in the cover and especially so on the e-string side.  I'd fire the pickup installer in Nashville!  Or do a foam redesign!  :-\

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2014, 10:59:51 AM »
Makes you wonder why the pickup isn't just attached to the cover via a set of screws with slightly larger heads in the first place, especially since they are just cosmetic anyway.

When removing the pickup cover, have you noticed that it has "cut" into the finish on any of your basses?  I'm wondering if the first bass I received had the cover tightened down too far, and coupled with the screw holes themselves - is what caused the finish to start flaking off.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 11:06:29 AM by stiles72 »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
Makes you wonder why the pickup isn't just attached to the cover via a set of screws with slightly larger heads in the first place, especially since they are just cosmetic anyway.

When removing the pickup cover, have you noticed that it has "cut" into the finish on any of your basses?  I'm wondering if the first bass I received had the cover tightened down too far, and coupled with the screw holes themselves - is what caused the finish to start flaking off.

It is easy to dent or chip a finish with edge of the big neck pup cover if you tighten it too much.  I would know!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 03:10:10 PM »
I'm wondering if the first bass I received had the cover tightened down too far, and coupled with the screw holes themselves - is what caused the finish to start flaking off.

Highly unlikely.  Poor prep is the culprit, probably not removing all dust before shooting paint.  Hope the third one is the charm!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2014, 06:38:06 AM »

Interesting. The bass in the middle photo has witch hat reflector knobs but the basses in the 1st and 3rd photos have the '80s style speed knobs.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2014, 07:38:09 AM »
Interesting. The bass in the middle photo has witch hat reflector knobs but the basses in the 1st and 3rd photos have the '80s style speed knobs.

Reflector, period.  Witch hats look like fender amp knobs.  I think those reflectors are aftermarket, true reflectors... not like the crap Gibson currently uses.

Sorry for the rant...too much coffee this morning, breaking in the "new" (1985) espresso machine.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2014, 12:36:07 PM »
All three pics are of the same bass (the final replacement).  I snapped the middle pic after I switched the stock speed knobs out for some Gibson reflectors.  I also turned  the bridge pickup around so the pole pieces were a little further away from the bridge to see if it would take some bite off it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »
Numero Tres has arrived...

:mrgreen: ;D :mrgreen: ;D  :mrgreen: ;D Gibson certainly can't say you aren't faithful! Good luck with the cherry!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2014, 11:42:37 AM »
Thought I would try these out - Iron Cross fingerboard inlay decals from Ebay. They are extremely thin, and undectable when playing. From a couple feet away,  you'd never know they weren't true inlays. Best part is I can take them off at any time and go back to the stock look without running the risk of permanently screwing up the fingerboard.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2014, 01:20:12 PM »
OMGRichthofen -  an RBB (Red Baron Bass) now, where have we been propelled to?  :rolleyes:

It needs a beagle decal pickguard though ...

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...