Author Topic: NBD - Gibson Les Paul Bass & Cherry Midtown  (Read 10782 times)

stiles72

• View Profile
Re: NBD - Gibson Les Paul Bass & Cherry Midtown
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
The new Indian is owned and manufactured by Polaris, who also makes the Victories. They did a great job on the new motor by adding fake cooling fins on the heads so it looks more like it's aircooled even though it's not!
Nice bike, Clint! Much better looking than previous incarnations of new Indians!

Mine is a war bike, an ex-Canadian Army Model 640, built in Springfield, Mass in 1940. Unlike most ex-army Indians, it's the big Scout at 45 cubic inches. Basically, it's a civilian Sport Scout with small fenders and no chrome. As the military guys say, "chrome don't get you home". :)

Very cool 641/Scout!  We saw some different war bikes at the National Motorcycle Hall Of Fame Museum in Anamosa, IA just before I ordered mine, but they didn't have a 641.   If you ever make it to Iowa, the place is definitely worth visiting. You can take an entire day just going through the Indian sections alone. I think the new Indian company (Polaris) filmed a lot of their promo videos there- anytime they flash an old bike or motor, it was probably there at the museum.

The fins are definitely stylish - but the bike is air cooled. No water in this one!  ;)   However, the extra gas cap on the left hand side of the tank, serves no purpose at. It's just a dummy. Guess they didn't want the tank to look "lop sided"  lol

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »
Wait, you are right, I was being thoughtless. Of course it's aircooled! Duh! The fins and rounded heads give it a nice touch which leads it away from the Harley/S&S looking engines of previous Indians. They did a fine job with this one.

I really need to swing by that museum. Every Labor Day weekend I'm in Davenport, Iowa for a big swap meet so I really have no excuse not to go to it.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
I'm 30 min North of Davenport (work in Moline) and know exactly which swap meet your talking about. Will have to look me up next year!  Another "biker point of interest" not far from there is Savanna, IL  on Route 84 which is home to Poopy's Pub and The Iron Horse.  The Iron Horse has quite a few un-restored and original bikes of all types on display. Quite a few old Indians, early Harley's, Excelsior Hendersons, etc...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 10:22:41 PM »
Dave, you do know that there is a - very vocal - minority in certain forums that clamors for everything to look like it did "back then" and is unsettled by progress in any shape or form?

You don't say!  ;D

Wanting chrome parts like the vintage models had is not the same thing as faking a pickup cover.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
them thar is fightin' words :popcorn:

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 04:07:12 PM »
Dave, you do know that there is a - very vocal - minority in certain forums that clamors for everything to look like it did "back then" and is unsettled by progress in any shape or form?

So, what's your point?  ;D

Black plastic = progress   :-X
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2013, 06:37:19 PM »
Black plastic that sounds better is progress.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
That Indian is as cool as motorbikes get. 
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2013, 11:17:24 AM »
Black plastic that sounds better is progress.

They (Black Plastic pups) just don't do it for me (asethtics aside), I've had 4 Post '88 'Birds, over time 1 of 2 things happened - they got new pups or they got sold, because it was easier to get rid of them than spend the $$$ for new pups - let alone the rest of the hardware. I've even replaced the black plastic one that I skinned and put NOS '76 covers on.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
They (Black Plastic pups) just don't do it for me (asethtics aside), I've had 4 Post '88 'Birds, over time 1 of 2 things happened - they got new pups or they got sold, because it was easier to get rid of them than spend the $$$ for new pups - let alone the rest of the hardware. I've even replaced the black plastic one that I skinned and put NOS '76 covers on.

I gotta agree.  My first T-bird was a '91 or so standard reissue model.  I always thought it sounded great until I got my '64 T-bird II.  After that I didn't even wanna plug in the '91.  I eventually sold it off.  I just love the middy growl of the original pickups.  The only other bass I own that comes close is my Embassy, but even that falls a little short.  I guess whatever floats your boat though.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2014, 02:45:16 PM »
Today I noticed that the finish is starting to flake off the Midtown in the vicinity of the end of the neck and the neck pickup so it's going back to AMS. I've only gigged it twice now, and the area where it's flaking is not somewhere where my thumb/fingers make contact. My guess is that maybe it's from the weather changes. Grrrrr.....

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 05:15:25 PM »
Today I noticed that the finish is starting to flake off the Midtown in the vicinity of the end of the neck and the neck pickup so it's going back to AMS. I've only gigged it twice now, and the area where it's flaking is not somewhere where my thumb/fingers make contact. My guess is that maybe it's from the weather changes. Grrrrr.....

That's too bad. Weather-related or not, it shouldn't be happening.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2014, 02:54:03 AM »
That's terrible, never had that with a Gibson.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 06:00:02 PM »
The replacement Midtown showed up today- I have to give AMS credit, they shipped it as soon as I dropped off the defective one at UPS.  However, I have mixed feelings about this one...    :-\

The good:

The neck definitely has a much better feel to it than the first one. It's slightly thinner and more T-birdish, and no where near as chunky. The maple top also has a nicer grain pattern, and is more uniform. Looks nice.  Plugged in, there is a difference in sound also. This one is louder, and sounds more like a P-bass on steroids, which is not necessarily a bad thing. The first one was very soft sounding, and in a band context sometimes got swallowed up by the room when using anything other than just the bridge pickup.

The bad:

Everything you know and love about Gibson QC.  Sloppy black paint on the F holes, the binding edges/borders aren't as crisp and neat like the first unit, the fingerboard and inlays look "cheap" compared to the first one, and the finish around the neck heel has a lot of orange peel. Heck maybe it was even a touch up- that was where the finish peeled off the first one. I would easily give the first Midtown an A for fit and finish (out of the box). This one, maybe a B- or a C+.

Haven't decided what to do with it. I might call and see if they will give me a discount, but considering I got it for the blow out special price, I doubt there is much meat left on the bone to haggle over.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 06:07:09 PM by stiles72 »

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2014, 08:57:53 PM »
That's too bad. And inexcusable, blowout price or not. It shouldn't have left the factory that way, period.

Really, I'm not trying to influence your decision, but there's no way in hell I would consider keeping it.

BTW, I bought a new American Special Tele in early December, it was perfect out of the box and a lot less expensive than a Gibson Midtown. Fender isn't perfect either but fit and finish problems are rare, at least on their MIA offerings. They're common at Gibson.