Author Topic: NBD - Gibson Les Paul Bass & Cherry Midtown  (Read 10781 times)

stiles72

• View Profile
NBD - Gibson Les Paul Bass & Cherry Midtown
« on: November 26, 2013, 02:46:03 PM »
Thanks to the blow out prices at AMS, I just received my "2013 Model" Gibson Les Paul Bass and thought I'd post some initial impressions.

[[EDIT  - the Cherry Midtown arrived today as well, so I'll just piggyback on this thread...]]

Out of the box the QC is dead perfect.  Wow!  I can't find any of the typical Gibson issues (wavy nitro, unfinished edges, overspray, messy control cavity, etc...)  that Gibson owners sort of come to expect.  This is one of the best finished Gibson instruments I have seen in a very long time.  AMS didn't have pictures to choose from like Sweetwater, but I was pleased to see the burst is not abrupt or too contrasting. It has a very nice warm and almost Honeyburst tone to it, unlike my '00 Les Paul Classic.  The maple top also has some nice and noticeable grain pattern to it.  :)  The bass looks huge, but feels very light. I haven't had a chance to weight it, but I would guess it's not any heavier than my Thunderbirds. The neck feels nice and slim at the nut like a Thunderbird, but widens out and has more of a chunky feel as you progress up the neck. Overall balance is very good, but I think I will add a strap button to the neck heel if I decide to keep her.

The action out of the box is very very low. That's not exactly my cup of tea, but I know a lot of folks prefer that. The pickups also were raised very high- right up close to the strings - making it super loud, and overly bright to my ears. I lowered both pickups down quite a bit, and the volume leveled off and the low end blossomed nicely. It went from a ringing piano tone to now having more of a woody and "upright bass" tone. Even though the neck pickup is not as close to the neck as on the Thunderbird, I can't really tell that much difference in tone. The archtop naturally makes me want to rest my right hand at that location anyway, so it makes a good anchor point right where it is.

After playing it for about an hour, I'm really liking the way it sounds and feels. Looking forward to taking it out on this weeks gigs!

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:33:10 AM by stiles72 »

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
Re: NBD "2013 Model" Gibson Les Paul Bass
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 02:50:40 PM »
Wow, that does look nice.  Congrats.

I haven't seen a burst that well done on a new instrument in a while ("abrupt" is really a good way to put it).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 03:03:55 PM »

That's frickken sexy!

Just say YES to CHROME!  ;D
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 04:58:06 PM »
Can't we put Mark on mute? ; - )

Sehr schöne Paula and those are very good, assertive basses.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 06:45:13 PM »

Send me a ball gag  :o
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 07:20:50 PM »
Mine was a great bass. The LP basses must be finished by the guitar department.

Bionic-Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
NICE!!!! It's NICE to see Gibson FINALLY!!! FINALLY!! FINALLY Using the correct Bridge!!!!!! Wish they could get the Thunderbirds right...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:19:10 PM by Baz Cooper »

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 08:49:17 PM »
Mine was a great bass. The LP basses must be finished by the guitar department.

I wondered about that...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 09:36:24 AM »
Gorgeous! I like the feel of a bound neck, so I'm very tempted by that model even though I already have a '05 LP.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
Send me a ball gag  :o

:mrgreen:

It was intended as punishment and restraint!!!

stiles72

• View Profile
Re: NBD - Gibson Les Paul Bass & Cherry Midtown
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 11:47:14 AM »
Part 2 of the AMS Blowout continues...

The Cherry Midtown arrived this morning. Out of the box, everything was perfect. There was some excess wax or polish at the end of the fingerboard that needed cleaned off, but like the Les Paul - the QC on the fit and finish was flawless. None of the photos I've seen online really do this bass justice. For $750 this is a killer bass!  The neck is narrow at the nut like a T-bird, and does have a thicker feel, but not as chunky as the Les Paul. The neck feels fast, and the streamlined body shape feels great as well.  The horns remind me more of the Starfire or a Peavey JF1 than the 335.  The unplugged tone isn't quite as acoustic as my De Armond Starfire, but it's in the ballpark. Plugged in the B15 it sounds great!  No adjustments needed. The neck pickup with the tone rolled off is pure chocolate, and the bridge pickup soloed has a nice midrange honk without being overly bright or ringing. Very nice!  I would actually love to have a Tbird with a dual set of these neck pickups. Not sure if it's the placement up against the neck or if they are wired differently than TB+ - but it just sounds smoother and rounder.  

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 12:08:43 PM »
Youze gize are killing me here.   :-[  But I am not spending more on basses this season..... 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 12:49:15 PM »
I like my Midtown too, excellent bass for the money.

NOT

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 01:23:05 PM »
Those two look beautiful side by side. Had the pleasure of playing both models at Sam Ash 3 days ago. As well as the new Grabber, Gibson EB, and a 60's EBO. All great basses indeed. If only I had some spare cash...
Is Father Home?

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »

Wow Clint, really nice!