Author Topic: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content  (Read 7725 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2013, 02:11:34 PM »
The factory rounds.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2013, 09:19:03 AM »
I just improved the playability of that ThunderJet....the action was about 3/64" at the last fret.  I raised the bridge to about 5/64" and I'm not experiencing string/pickup crashes.  Fortunately, that bridge is really easy to adjust up and down with two thumbwheels.

First bass I've ever owned on which I had to raise the action for better playability!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2013, 05:06:35 PM »
Hey, Bill (Dr. Bassman) - I want to install flats on the Thunderjet, and I'm thinking medium scale strings.  The measurement on the G from tailpiece to nut is 32.5".

As one can see from the tailpiece shot above, the other strings are a bit longer than the G as installed - but I think 34" strings would be too long.  What's your take on this?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »
Hey, Bill (Dr. Bassman) - I want to install flats on the Thunderjet, and I'm thinking medium scale strings.  The measurement on the G from tailpiece to nut is 32.5".

As one can see from the tailpiece shot above, the other strings are a bit longer than the G as installed - but I think 34" strings would be too long.  What's your take on this?

I'm not Bill, in case you hadn't noticed, but you need to know the winding length of the particular string brand. A D'addario short scale string has a winding length of 32"and the medium scale strings have 34" wound. Since the ball end to nut distance on your E string is obviously more than 32" but seems to be well under 34" (measure it to be sure) I'd say medium scale is just right if you want Chromes. LaBella or Rotosound medium scales would probably work, but check with them on the winding length. GHS Precision Flats only come in short and super long, and I'm almost sure the shorts won't do, they were too short for my Guild JSII and my Coronado.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2013, 10:33:58 AM »
Thanks, Dave good info.  I thought Bill might see the post, since he has the same bass and I know he has replaced the strings at least once.

The other floating bridge basses I've had all use a more conventional tailpiece where the string lengths are the same.  This one's at least a half-inch different in the string length.  I'll check the winding length on the Labellas.  I also like Chromes OK, so I can go that route if it works out better.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2013, 04:53:44 PM »
Just saw this!  I have TI jazz flats, 32" scale, they fit fine.  That's all I know!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 07:06:04 PM »
Gretsch bassist here. I only play long scales (play upright so going from 42" to 34" is a relief) .

Have a 1967 Country Gentleman 6070 - fretless (I took them off solved all the action problems and the bass has been transformed into an extremely fast and versatile instrument). added a 2nd pick up (homemade 6072) - FROM A 1978 GRETSCH COMMITTEE

1975 Broadkaster 7606 - with a TV Jones pick-up. Heavy bass at 5kgs but it has the nicest action of all my basses - it has a Pbass look but sounds radically different.

And a 1978 Committee 7629 - installed a Carvin pick-up

Gretsch basses are simply more beautiful to hold and play than any other bass.

Of course I have a pbass (1968) because that is a sound that sometimes you just have to have.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2016, 10:21:38 PM »
I can say that the ThunderJet has become my #1 bass. It just feels great to play, and it sounds great. I do trade off, and I'm eager to play the Dean Psycho Cabbie that I bought last fall, but I think the TJ will hang in the #1 spot.  that's saying something when i have a really nice 1963 P sitting next to it.