Author Topic: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content  (Read 7722 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 03:35:06 PM »
As long as you're happy with the sound from the rounds, why change?

I wouldn't want or expect any two-pickup short scale to sound like a Precision. It's not even possible.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 01:19:16 AM »
A two pickup, short scale old Dano can sound almost P-ish.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2013, 02:02:01 AM »
I wouldn't want mine to sound like a p bass either. It has its own unique place in my lineup and I prefer it to all of my other short scales these days.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2013, 02:41:19 AM »
I think my Billy-Bo should sound a bit like the Thunder Jet. Both hollowed bodies, both two TV Joneses, bot short scale. But the Billy-Bo is a real woody and dark sounding bass.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:22 AM »
I think my Billy-Bo should sound a bit like the Thunder Jet. Both hollowed bodies, both two TV Joneses, bot short scale. But the Billy-Bo is a real woody and dark sounding bass.

I would guess you're right.  I haven't had the pleasure of playing a Billy-Bo, but would sure enjoy it.  I'm still learning what the Thunderjet really sounds like. I don't know whether it would be fair to call it dark and woody, but it's definitely on the dark rather than bright side of the sound spectrum.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2013, 07:26:53 PM »
I would guess you're right.  I haven't had the pleasure of playing a Billy-Bo, but would sure enjoy it.  I'm still learning what the Thunderjet really sounds like. I don't know whether it would be fair to call it dark and woody, but it's definitely on the dark rather than bright side of the sound spectrum.

Dark and woody works for me.  The key for me is it works so well with my amp.

Wilbur88

• circa 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 01:15:42 AM »
Lovely looking bass and a great score for sure.  Well done.  I've always admired these.  Must seek one out for a play, but there aren't too many Professional Series Gretschs down here.
Basses:  Gibson '78 G3 & '06 T-bird, '96 Ric 4003, '83 Steinberger L2, '11 Warwick Star, '01 Gretsch G6072, '11 Fender 60th P, '78 Guild B302F
Rig: Ampeg, Hiwatt, Fender TV

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 08:34:35 AM »
It's really hard to get hands on any expensive bass unless you happen to know someone with one, or have a high-end music store in your area.  I've never been able to lay hands on a ThunderJet, but I've played other Gretsch instruments and I have never played one that wasn't well finished, lovely to behold, and a good player.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2013, 08:24:14 PM »
I finally had the chance to jam with my band for a couple of hours.  I may have to either install flats or raise the action on the Thunderjet. Man, it has low action and as a result I'm a clanking mess.  I have to pluck the strings at 90 degrees to the pickups and fretboard or there's all kinds of clanking.  Any kind of vertical impact or movement and there's fret clang.  Doggone it, I may actually have to improve my technique in order to play this bass!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »
I finally had the chance to jam with my band for a couple of hours.  I may have to either install flats or raise the action on the Thunderjet. Man, it has low action and as a result I'm a clanking mess.  I have to pluck the strings at 90 degrees to the pickups and fretboard or there's all kinds of clanking.  Any kind of vertical impact or movement and there's fret clang.  Doggone it, I may actually have to improve my technique in order to play this bass!

Probably just needs to be raised a little.  Played mine last night at practice and it loves the MM amps.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2013, 09:18:53 PM »
Well, I just paid for a chunk of the ThunderJet.  Sold my 1967 blackface Bassman amp to my guitar player (a very nice guy) for $500.  A bit below market, but I wasn't using it and he will - more than that, I'll get to play with him while he uses it! I've had the amp a long time (1967), but it was mostly gathering dust aside from being used in practice occasionally.

I hang onto stuff too long for no good reason.  I'm trying to break that habit.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 07:53:49 AM »
Anyone seen T.Petersson's new white Gretsch Country Gent 12-string bass? Looks cool.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »
Hey Al, I practiced last night and played the TJ with the pup switch in the middle and it sounded great through my MM amp.  I usually play with the switch all the way up for that booming bassy sound, but the extra definition with the middle position was nice and the guitar player like it.  As usual, it's so easy to play, my hands never get fatigued and my neck doesn't get tired of it hanging there.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 02:50:32 PM »
I'm working at it.  I usually keep the pickup switch centered, but I'm really having to go soft on the plucking...otherwise there's a lot of string collision noise.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 01:20:14 PM »
What strings are you using?