Author Topic: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content  (Read 7723 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:49:18 PM »
Been watching auctions for probably two years.  Dr. Bassman is both a bad influence and a great source of info.

Now I am about to join him in ThunderJet Gretschitude.  (I actually have two Gretsch basses already, a Gretsch 1222 and a lovely orange 5123.  This will increase the overall Gretschness quite a bit.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-Thunder-Jet-G61281B-Bass-Guitar-/360677292926?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=4hL6vIMEaoS%252BGeNE9Awc4M8Bz7g%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I will now be unloading a lot of stuff on Ebay that I needed to unload anyway, but I need to move it all now, as I need to pay for this auction.  It wasn't bad until we had an AC failure right after I entered my first bid and we spent about $1200 getting the AC working again.  Bad timing.

Among the outgoing items will be a very nice Midnight Blue 2000 MIM Fender Jazz and a cream Hagstrom HB-4, a beautiful early 70's sunburst Univox Coily 335-copy and a gold top Epi Jack Casady bass.  I will list them here, too.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
Re: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 10:50:48 PM »
Nice looking Gretsch!! So you are going to sell the purple bass??  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 02:34:37 AM »
Very cool!!!! Congratz!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »
Nice looking Gretsch!! So you are going to sell the purple bass??  ;D

Cough cough.....(throat clearing)....the Fender-designated Midnight Blue bass will in fact be going.  I really do like the color and there aren't many around, but it keeps taking a back seat to other basses. Part of it is that it's a bit over 9 pounds, which isn't that unusual for a J but it's on the heavy end of all the basses I have. However, I think the Custom Shop PG on it really sets it off nicely with the covers...

The more I think about it, the more I think the Univox bass will stay with me.  I'll never score another like it in the same condition.

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »
I'd be all over that Jazz if I were your side of the pond and circumstance, etc... gorgeous colour... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:45:58 PM »
I'd be all over that Jazz if I were your side of the pond and circumstance, etc... gorgeous colour... 8)

You can always PM me.  I hear squirrels like Midnight Blue.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 04:21:54 PM »
Yowza! You got an excellent deal on that Thunder Jet! Love the look of those.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 06:30:34 PM »
Dr. Bassman has been kind enough to fill me in on it in the past.  They have the ridiculous "retail"price on the Gretsch website of $2800, but they're available on Ebay all the time brand new at $1975, but that's still more than I wanted to pay. This one started the lowest of any I've seen in two years of watching, and I decided to go after it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:44:45 PM by Pilgrim »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:08:20 PM »
$1975 is the MAP. You can probably find a local stocking dealer who would go 35% off the $2800 list, but that's still a hefty price tag. A barely used one at $1350 is a good deal.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:46:37 PM »
I hear squirrels like Midnight Blue.

SWMBO has other plans for my expenditures at present... :o ;)

I have a bath, sink and standing unit already here, a heap of tiles due to arrive, re-routing the plumbing for those and the rad (probably in a wall void), so that's my break sorted out for the start of July (off the Ind. Day week) ...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 08:38:36 AM »
A great deal indeed!  Played mine at my last gig and practice last night and it is the one 30" scale bass that has a 34" sound to it with TI rounds on it.  It rings and growls, which can be unusual for a short scale bass.  It has pushed out my LP Triumph due to sound and weight.  Good luck with it Al!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
 I was able to personally inspect Bil's Gretsch and it is a BEAUTIFUL bass and it sounded just fantastic through his MM stack!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »
 One ascetic feature I love about this bass is the black top with the Mahogany back. Subtle and  classic, really stunning up close.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
Projected delivery looks like next Tuesday.  Took them a couple of days to get it out the door, but if that means it's well-packaged, more power to them!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 11:02:47 AM »
Anticipating delivery tomorrow....if it hits today I'll be a happy guy, but won't have much time to enjoy it as I have 20+ papers for a class to grade this evening.