Author Topic: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content  (Read 7724 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Took a big bite this time! Gretsch Content
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
Anticipating delivery tomorrow....if it hits today I'll be a happy guy, but won't have much time to enjoy it as I have 20+ papers for a class to grade this evening.

Quit screwing around and get to work.  We need the review  :)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2013, 06:21:54 PM »
No joy today....
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 11:18:21 AM »

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »
Waiting for me on the front porch...

Case emerges from box...

Open sesame!

It came with original paperwork, manual, factory check sheet, etc...

Pickguard not installed, but all the parts are present, including strplocks and wrench...

Not a mark or scratch anywhere!

The Gretsch Brothers!  5123, 6128 and 1222.  A mighty fine group!

The happy owner!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 09:30:00 PM »
After a few minutes of noodling around, some observations:

I dislike new rounds.  I'm so used to flats that my finger technique creates a LOT of string noise on new rounds.  I may have a set of Labella flats around, and if so they'll probably go on the Thunderjet.

The action is REALLY low and nice on this bass.  Minimal effort is needed to play it.

BIG sound.  The room was thundering when I tried some Allman Brothers (Statesboro Blues) and ZZ Top (LaGrange) tunes.

The electronics on this bass don't stress treble.  I can get a reasonably bright sound, but clearly the Gretsch ThunderJet is made more for the mids to the low end frequencies.  Even at full treble setting, it's noticeably less bright than some of my other basses.  IMO this is A Good Thing.  

Nice balance.  I put my best sheepskin-padded strap on it (visible in last photo above), and it's a nice package.

The ThunderTron pickups on this bass are hotter than either of the other two. That's interesting because my 5123 also has ThunderTron pickups, but it has the lowest output of the three.

Ranking the highest to lowest output from the Gretsch Brothers, it goes like this:

Hottest: Thunderjet 6128  (Scale length 30")
Middle: Gretsch 1222 (Scale length 30")
Low: Gretsch 5123 hollowbody (Scale length 32")

I have more learning to do with this bass, but when I spend $1000 for an instrument, I intend for it to be a lifetime companion.  I will play it and report more later...probably this weekend.

Hörnisse

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 09:31:18 PM »
What a nice looking bass!  Kind of scary that it was just left at the porch though!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 09:35:49 PM »
What a nice looking bass!  Kind of scary that it was just left at the porch though!

Quality of fit and finish is part of the Gretsch professional line.  Absolutely impeccable finish throughout.

Fortunately we live in a neighborhood where leaving a package on the porch is not a problem, although I did check at noon to see if had been delivered...had to wait.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 09:37:00 PM »
Nice (of course!). And even nicer that you first impressions seem to be as good as you hoped for.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2013, 12:41:21 AM »
Very cool! Again: Congfratulations!!!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2013, 09:51:18 AM »
Looks nice!! Congrats on the new bass!
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2013, 09:56:45 AM »
I just realized that a pair of Schaller straplocks were included in the case candy.  I don't usually use them, but why pass them up?  I now have them mounted on a good strap.  The black one in the photos is actually too thick for the straplocks - the nut won't reach the threads.  No problem.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 03:17:23 AM »
I've been using the Schaller system since the 70's and have then (pretty much) on them all...

Nice bass, Al... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 11:42:42 AM »
I was just playing the new bass and my '63 P for my oldest daughter.  I swear that I can get as much high end out of he '63 with 40-year-old flats on it as I can out of the ThunderJet.  I think this is just the difference in the low end response on the Gretsch vs. the mids emphasis P-basses are known for.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:42 PM »
Well, it sounds like it's a hit with you.  I wouldn't want mine sounding like a p-bass!  I think my highs are pretty strong with the TI rounds I have on it.  They've become my new favorite strings these days.  Easier on the fingers than most rounds and not as harsh.

Hope it continues to please!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 03:11:12 PM by drbassman »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 01:14:32 PM »
You're right, it doesn't sound like a P-bass.  Definitely set up for lower frequencies.  (Not that sounding somewhat like a real '63 P would be a drawback for many bass players, but I sure don't need two same-sounding basses.)

Many P-Bass fans attribute their "cut through the mix" quality to an emphasis on mids.  So far, it seems to me that the 6128 has more emphasis below the mids.  

I still have the stock rounds on it, and haven't decided whether or not to leave them on.  They do give more high end than flats wound.  I happened to check my other two Gretsch basses and I find that I've left the rounds on both of them.  There may be a message somewhere in there.