Author Topic: '78 P string height problems  (Read 11069 times)

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
Re: '78 P string height problems
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 03:01:43 PM »
if the shim doesn't work trying sinking  the bridge into the body.  can't go to far down or you will have to route channels to get the string balls to sit right. 

jim
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2010, 12:32:40 AM »
No, i'm not going to route the body. Anyway, i shimmed (if you can say that) it last night with a business card. I've cut it to fit the end of the pocket until 5 mm behind the rear screws. It helped, i've got a pretty nice action now, but the saddles are still at their lowest. Tonight i'll try to fold a card and cut it to fit like the first, so i have some height left to move the saddles, i'll make some pics for some comments/advice. Thanks

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 12:58:46 AM »
You've got to shim harder then. Shim is not a sin, brotha! :D
If I were you, I'd put a straight thin of wood under the whole neck route, and then put a shim on the bridge side of the neck route. I'd call it "a shim sandwich". ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 04:10:06 AM »
AMEN BRO',
i was thinking about usinng a straight piece of wood to raise the whole neck...hmmm...donno, i'll try tonight when the kids sleeps..

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 04:47:41 AM »
Have you ever seen a business card made of wood? Some cabinet makers and carpenters use them around here. Real thin shaved piece of wood for a card. I think they would be perfect.
Rick

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2010, 05:24:55 AM »
I've never seen a business card of wood, but i know that carpenters has some thin wood they use for similar purposes. Last night i looked for some  veneer wood down in the basement, but couldn't find any, i know i have some, somewhere.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2010, 10:50:36 AM »
Shim it!!  Adding a shim is standard procedure - some basses come from the factory with shims.  I have never understood why some folks think they are bad.  They're just one of the necessary tools.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 10:58:53 AM »
i know Pilgrim, but you know people won't buy a bass that need something between neck and body. What bothers me is that my bass hasn't an angle issue between neck and body, the neck is just too thin...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2010, 11:17:13 AM »
i know Pilgrim, but you know people won't buy a bass that need something between neck and body. What bothers me is that my bass hasn't an angle issue between neck and body, the neck is just too thin...

Don't Ask Don't Tell.  You have a nonstandard neck, it obviously came from Fender that way. They shimmed it, somebody bought it.  Hell, I've got shims with Ibanez STAMPED on them.

Shim Ain't No Sin...It's a design feature ;D

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2010, 12:37:58 PM »
Credit cards make extreme shims, too...

I had a couple of sixpences (small obsolete British coin used by Brian May as picks) in my first to try and sort out neck issues...

There is an old expression... what the eye don't see...

As long as she plays well what's the problem...? ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Iome

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2010, 12:50:07 PM »
Ok, I must find an old american business card or, even better, a fender card from the seventies, at least if the buyer finds it i'll tell him it's an extra value, a vintage shim  ;D Now theres a card in from the baker in front of my office...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
I've got some cardboard boxes in the shed... :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2010, 07:41:46 PM »

Since when won't they? You would be surprised. And that's with basses and guitars that were made to go together. In your case, you have a neck that isn't the thickness that was meant to go with the body, so all the more reason to shim.

Hornisse

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2010, 07:47:21 PM »
Back in the '70's I used one of these on my P bass.  Worked like a charm!  Put the flat side towards the body and it was a Fender Thin pick.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »

I respectfully disagree.  First, there is no need to tell them, because it's a normal adjustment.  Second, they're not going to know. Third, it's not really a relevant concern - because it's a normal adjustment and therefore unremarkable.

I would not mention a shim in the neck of any of my basses to a buyer - because it's nothing worth mentioning.

If there were a structural flaw in the bass that some kind of unusual shim was correcting, I'd mention it - but a normal shim is simply not remarkable.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."