Author Topic: Fender Japan  (Read 1576 times)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Fender Japan
« on: October 11, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
I was aware of most of this info from various sources but thought you guys might be interested in this concise version of the story.
Interesting use of the Ingrish language  ;)

http://www.music-trade.co.jp/Fenderjapanserial.html

Digresion our specialty!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Fender Japan
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 09:15:33 AM »
Japanese-English translations are often a source of amusement for me.

I remember in my 1971 240Z, the owner's manual said that to change the tire one must first "thoroughly destroy all lug nuts"...and in another spot it said in a masterpiece of understatement "If an accident should strain the seat belts, the seat belts should be replaced with new ones".  The irony is better understood if you know that the seat belts in that car were about 4" wide and close to racing belts.  Any accident bad enough to "strain" the belts would have destroyed the car to the point it was unrebuildable.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »
Thanks for that link.  I was having trouble understanding the MIJ and CIJ difference.  I just knew that I'd had pleasant and memorable encounters with the Japanese Fenders in stores over the years.

I do have several old Fujigen guitars and basses from the early 80s, and they are absolutely stunning players for the little money I gave.  I can understand why those "JV" serial models from that era might be sought out if the price is right.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
Interesting read. Thanks. I certainly am enjoying my CIJ Geddy Lee Jazz Bass!

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 04:16:21 PM »
Japanese-English translations are often a source of amusement for me.

I remember in my 1971 240Z, the owner's manual said that to change the tire one must first "thoroughly destroy all lug nuts"...and in another spot it said in a masterpiece of understatement "If an accident should strain the seat belts, the seat belts should be replaced with new ones".  The irony is better understood if you know that the seat belts in that car were about 4" wide and close to racing belts.  Any accident bad enough to "strain" the belts would have destroyed the car to the point it was unrebuildable.

Car and Driver did a "10 Best" on the subject of Jap>Eng translations several years back. One owners manual recommended adjusting the tuning of the radio if it "makes a 'shatz-shatz, julu-julu' sound or 'if the voice of a female announcer becomes husky".
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:08:10 AM »
I don't believe that CIJ vs. MIJ differentiation. I think I'll go with the original definition (ie: MIJ = entirely made in Japan, CIJ = assembled in Japan of Japanese and foreign parts) ....... makes more sense to me. Why would guitars and basses produced by a different manufacturer other than Fujigen Gakki be referred to as CIJ ....... ?
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)