Author Topic: Need Advice - 90s MIJ P-Bass  (Read 3876 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Need Advice - 90s MIJ P-Bass
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:58:04 PM »
I have an opportunity (thanks to Nokturnal/Andy) to trade an Ampeg 210HE and Fender BXR400 (both of which I never use) for this:

The seller says its from 1990, and was made in Japan.  Is there anything specific I should look for?  (serial number, etc...).  I know jack about Fenders, but would love to get a MIA/MIJ P-bass - especially black/black with maple board (my favorite color combo) - so this is tempting...

Any advice appreciated!

chromium

• View Profile
Re: Need Advice - 90s MIJ P-Bass
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 11:09:53 PM »
Found something on Fender's site for dating the Japanese instruments:

http://www.fender.com/support/japanese_instruments.php

I'd expect this one should have a K+six-digit s/n based on that info.  From what I was reading, it might have a basswood body, and this is probably a '57 RI (?).  Not really worried about the specs so much, just curious.  Main thing is that it feels and sounds good to me.

Any opinions if this is a fair trade?  I was figuring about 200 for the cab, and 150 for the head (works fine, but has a lot of road rash)...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 12:49:37 AM »
I'd say it's more than a fair trade if that's the value of the gear you bring in. A MIJ P in good condition will fetch 400 EUR easy at this side of the pond .........
Experience is the ultimate teacher

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 12:18:56 PM »
Thanks!  Yeah realistically that's likely what I'd get for the stuff if I sold it on craigslist (too heavy to ship).

So the deed is done, and here's what I think I've got:  parts bass.  Looks like a MIJ export '57 RI neck with N serial number (93-94?) and a Japan market '62 reissue body (marked PBD-62 - the "2" is barely visible).  I have a hunch that the pickguard is from Allparts.

Any idea what those pickups are?  Can anyone identify the body wood from what's visible in the neck pocket?  Don't make me have to go ask at that other place  :P  ;D

This thing feels and plays great!  Love the neck profile- wide but shallow.  Its nice to finally have something with a maple 'board.  Somewhere around here I have a SD quarter pounder split P pickup that I might need to take for a test drive...

Daniel_J

• No, I'm not Japanese. I am Brazilian actually...
    • View Profile
    • Oficina_SB
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 05:11:08 PM »
I guess if you think it plays and feels great, then all its good! And it is a genuine Fender Japan (despite the random parts and aftermarket pickguard), so it was a fair trade.

I cant really tell only by the pics,  but that is probably basswood, since most of the 90s MIJ Fender were basswood. Save for some models that had ash or alder bodys and USA made pickups.
Pickups look like standard Fender Japan with alnico magnets.

I briefly owned a MIJ 62 RI P-Bass a couple of years ago and it was a joy to play. It was white with black pickguard and rosewood board.
I think the only difference between the 57 and 62 RI was that the 57 had maple boards and 1 ply pickguards, as opposed to the 62 that had rosewood boards and 3 ply guards. I think the neck profile was the same on both models. Just like you said, wide and shalow, and the fingerboard was probably less than 9.5 inch radius. My favorite type of neck!

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »
Glad it worked out to your satisfaction. As soon as I saw the listing I thought of you. Now there is another toy for me to play with when I visit  ;D
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 10:02:51 PM »
Glad it worked out to your satisfaction. As soon as I saw the listing I thought of you. Now there is another toy for me to play with when I visit  ;D

I'm always scared to open your emails if there's a craigslist link involved...    ;D

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:52 AM »
The PUP looks like an aftermarket Fender "Original '62" Alnico PUP like I sold to Sven last month ......  ;D
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:08 AM »
I'm always scared to open your emails if there's a craigslist link involved...    ;D

I think those emails frighten your wife even more  :mrgreen:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:18:07 PM »
I think those emails frighten your wife even more  :mrgreen:

Ah yes I forgot to warn you about that...  might want to factor this in when planning your next visit.

Hey speaking of spousal acceptance factor, that Blackbird is back again...  and even lower!  

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 12:24:55 PM »
I guess if you think it plays and feels great, then all its good! And it is a genuine Fender Japan (despite the random parts and aftermarket pickguard), so it was a fair trade.

I cant really tell only by the pics,  but that is probably basswood, since most of the 90s MIJ Fender were basswood. Save for some models that had ash or alder bodys and USA made pickups.
Pickups look like standard Fender Japan with alnico magnets.

I briefly owned a MIJ 62 RI P-Bass a couple of years ago and it was a joy to play. It was white with black pickguard and rosewood board.
I think the only difference between the 57 and 62 RI was that the 57 had maple boards and 1 ply pickguards, as opposed to the 62 that had rosewood boards and 3 ply guards. I think the neck profile was the same on both models. Just like you said, wide and shalow, and the fingerboard was probably less than 9.5 inch radius. My favorite type of neck!

Thanks, Daniel.  I suspect the body is basswood too (lightweight, soft-ish wood), but I don't have much knowledge in identifying the differences- so I was just curious.

I like the neck too.  Its a great change of pace, being that I usually play stuff with really skinny necks.

The PUP looks like an aftermarket Fender "Original '62" Alnico PUP like I sold to Sven last month ......  ;D

Thanks for the info!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:59:50 PM by chromium »

PhilT

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 02:42:37 PM »
You did well there. I missed a 57 RI in vintage white on Saturday by 5GBP, though I expect I'd have had to go 20-25 higher to actually win it. Went for 430GBP. Oddly an SQ serial MIJ Squier went for 415 the same day. Something seems out of whack with relative values there.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 08:03:50 PM »
Ah yes I forgot to warn you about that...  might want to factor this in when planning your next visit.

But I did her a favor  ???  You cleared up some much needed room in your office and brought home a bass that you didn't spend any money on  ;D  If anything, she should be thanking me!! I will however wear a helmet on my next visit  :mrgreen: