Author Topic: Questions, Questions, Questions  (Read 6019 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Questions, Questions, Questions
« on: September 13, 2010, 08:24:58 PM »
...flowing into the mind of the concerned bassplayer today. :D

How do you line up gigs? Is there a minimum amount you'll accept for a gig?
Do you put a tip jar onstage or pass the hat? What's the most you've made just doing that?

Have any of you fuggers done tours all around the USA? All 50 states? How 'bout Alaska & Hawaii?
Anyone done a World Tour?

Do you have roadies? a sound man? lighting guy? a driver? other crew members?

What's in your gig bag? What all do you take on tour?
Do ya have a tourbus or what? Tourbus pulling a trailer perhaps?

I'm planning to get a tour together for Summer 2011....

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Re: Questions, Questions, Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 09:32:12 PM »
<subscribed>
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 07:03:05 AM »
tour bus, roadies, lighting guy.....hello! ;)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 07:41:49 AM »
Here's the road rules:

1) Go for the money
2) Sleep while you can
3) Hang with your own
4) Never buy a bus

....... the rest of it all kinda falls in place  :mrgreen:
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 08:21:03 AM »
How do you line up gigs?
We have a booking agent, and also are contacted thru our website.

Is there a minimum amount you'll accept for a gig?
Yes. After all expenses have been paid(agent, crew, fuel, lodging, etc.) each band member must make at least $100 per show/night.

Do you put a tip jar onstage or pass the hat?
At club shows we have a tip jar, and at some point in the show we send a pretty young lady(that we've approached earlier in the night) thru the audience with the tip jar. At corporate gigs we do not have a tip jar.

What's the most you've made just doing that?
Hard to say as at the end of the night the tip money and merch money are combined and then divided five ways. An average night for tip/merch is $100 per bandmember, but it has been over $200 on ocassion.

Have any of you fuggers done tours all around the USA?
Yes, a few US tours over the years, except Alaska and Hawaii.

No.

We have two crew who drive the equipment truck, set up/tear down the backline/PA/lighting, and run sound/lights. We have a third crewmember who wrangles the guitars(tuning, replacing broken strings, swapping out guitars during the show). He also tends the merch display.

What's in your gig bag?
I have a case that travels with the gear, it contains: two guitar stands, effects pedals, cords, batteries, power adapters, incense/lighter, alarm clock, picks, drum mallets, and artificial sweetner.

What all do you take on tour?
ipod/headphones, medication, toiletries, clothes, stage clothes, sunglasses, phone, books/magazines, portable DVD player/DVDs, GPS, and more stuff I can't think of right now.

Do ya have a tourbus or what?
For local shows(within 300 miles of Austin) the bandmembers drive their own cars to the show, and the crew drive the equipment van. For shows beyond 300 miles and up to and including neighboring states(LA, OK, NM) we rent a van for the bandmembers, with the crew driving the equipment van. The local van rental place knows us VERY well. For shows beyond neighboring states, the bandmembers and guitar tech fly to the gig, and use rented/supplied backline/PA/lights/soundman.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »
Roadettes - much more fun...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
Never did a real tour...    but in the mid 80's got to play some cool venues like the Nassau Coliseum,  Felt Forum,  Beacon Theater as a member of  a "back Line" band for 50', 60's & 70's acts (rock and Roll revival stuff)  that don't travel with their own bands.

Just show up at the gig with a couple of basses.  One time i actually got to supply the backline for the Beacon and got paid an extra 150 for using my rig...

Shitty money ,  cool experience and good pictures my wife took.  got a chance for my older sister and her husband to see me on stage at the Nassau Col.

Also got to play at CBGB's and some of the other lower east side clubs in the early 80's a few times - mostly week nights at 1 in the morning....  overall drag but trying to get signed you deal with that stuff....

PS - i have never passed a hat around at a gig in 37 years.  Maybe i should start....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:25:39 AM by jumbodbassman »
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
How do you line up gigs?

Yes. After all expenses have been paid(agent, crew, fuel, lodging, etc.) each band member must make at least $100 per show/night.

At club shows we have a tip jar, and at some point in the show we send a pretty young lady(that we've approached earlier in the night) thru the audience with the tip jar. At corporate gigs we do not have a tip jar.

Hard to say as at the end of the night the tip money and merch money are combined and then divided five ways. An average night for tip/merch is $100 per bandmember, but it has been over $200 on ocassion.

No.

We have two crew who drive the equipment truck, set up/tear down the backline/PA/lighting, and run sound/lights. We have a third crewmember who wrangles the guitars(tuning, replacing broken strings, swapping out guitars during the show). He also tends the merch display.

What's in your gig bag?
I have a case that travels with the gear, it contains: two guitar stands, effects pedals, cords, batteries, power adapters, incense/lighter, alarm clock, picks, drum mallets, and artificial sweetner.

ipod/headphones, medication, toiletries, clothes, stage clothes, sunglasses, phone, books/magazines, portable DVD player/DVDs, GPS, and more stuff I can't think of right now.

For local shows(within 300 miles of Austin) the bandmembers drive their own cars to the show, and the crew drive the equipment van. For shows beyond 300 miles and up to and including neighboring states(LA, OK, NM) we rent a van for the bandmembers, with the crew driving the equipment van. The local van rental place knows us VERY well. For shows beyond neighboring states, the bandmembers and guitar tech fly to the gig, and use rented/supplied backline/PA/lights/soundman.

Thanks for taking the time to answer so thoroughly, my fellow Southpaw! You ROCK!!!

JZumbro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »
I got to tour Japan and Korea in '98, '99 and '00 - but they were short 2 week tours. Still counts though. :)

Oh, to answer your other question, I tour Hawaii all the time....:)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2010, 10:59:12 AM »
You could always perform a bass duet with Gonzo...  ;D
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 03:10:39 PM »
Somehow or other I'm determined to do a 2011 Summer Tour with my trio Godbrothers.
I may have to fund it by selling my Zemaitis guitar. Hopefully not tho.
Just the fact that I'm thinking about it tells you I'm SERIOUS about this!
I'm looking for BACKING & have some real good prospects!!
I'll be painting a HUGE backdrop for the stage as soon as I know what to paint.
I'm working on logo ideas. Got some cool sketches drawn up.
Planning to make some posters in the ol' SF psychedelic Art Nouveau style!
Gonna print MEGA flyers too & plaster 'em all over as soon as we hit each town on the tour.
I'm thinking it would be cool to play half the states (26) & do 4 shows in each state; over 100 gigs.
I'm also thinking it would be cool to set up our own stage on the outskirts of town & have a half tent over it for protection from the sun & rain.
That would enable us to play as long as we like--2,3,4 or 5 hours--or "Play all night!" like the ABB did when someone yelled that at the Fillmore East show.
How to sell tix would be a prob, but maybe we could play FREE CONCERTS  (Donations Appreciated!)
A bottomless tip jar bolted to the stage would allow tips to go thru to a treasure chest underneath. :D
I've been BRAINSTORMING! Can you tell?
Studying red tape issues like permits & so forth & so on...
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:18:47 PM by Rhythm N. Bliss »

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2010, 05:09:33 PM »
How do you line up gigs?

No.

What's in your gig bag?

Pretty much this +/- some items
Tony

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 05:15:16 PM »
 In the mid 80's I was in a band out of Boston called Expose, we had good airplay on WBCN toured up and down the  East coast. The gear traveled in a trailer, left the rehearsal space and showed up at the gigs like magic!!!!! I followed in my Volkswagon bus ! We played The BIG clubs and opened for bands like Motor Head and Stryper in 3,000-4,000 seaters LOL. These days I cart my own gear in a Honda Odessey. We had had one man road crew named Donnie but he go married and his wife won't let him come out and play anymore :(  Now my band plays from Buffalo-Syracuse NY maybe as far south as the Penn boarder. 2 hr drive time  max for the most part. What do I carry ? Wardrobe bag with stage cloths and a shaving kit, back pack all my personal crap. Blanket and pillow just in case I need sleep and a tool kit. Sometimes we stay over night.....................The basses always get dragged into the hotel room.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 10:21:31 AM »
Heathen... how could you be so cruel as to leave your poor Hiwatts in the bus... (or is it just the 2nd hearnia your worried about... ;))

Mind you Bro, it would have to be a fairly tough crim to "run-off" with one...  :o ;D

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 08:47:13 PM »
Here's my other band page. It's just me & Steve from Godbrothers doing non-devotional stuff.

www.myspace.com/tigersharkrocks

MegaYang Mindbender Riffage is actually Godbrothers!!! Joe is playing my drumkit, making a Guest Appearance with TigerShark. heh
We do that one with vocals which will be added to our GB page & included on our first album.

A 26 state tour may be ambitious but it's only half the country.
Hopefully we'll get to the other half someday.
Wish us luck! We need it.

Hey ABB fans~ One of the coolest things I've learned from reading this book SKYDOG is that when Duane & Gregg were in HOURGLASS in 1967 Duane played sitar on the opening song of their shows at the Whiskey!
The song was an instrumental version of Norwegian Wood--the first Pop song to feature sitar.
They opened for lots of Big Name bands like Buffalo Springfield & the Byrds.
They were LOVED by the audiences at the Whisky & The Fillmore & even then they loved to JAM & lots of famous & not so famous Cali Rockers JAMMED with 'em!!!!!!!

So we're definitely gonna be doing an instrumental of Norwegian Wood & maybe a bit of Within You, Without You too!!
Some of our songs will feature a bit of sitar, tablas, & so on tooo
Eventually we'll do some full-on Raga Rock!
This is a Yoga Rock band after all. I just had my 4th sitar lesson today. I luvvit!

I'm working up logos like this:

B
R
GOD
S.

and

B
R
GOD
T
H
E
R
S

Pretty coool, huh? The Os will have OM signs in 'em.

Another cool thing I learned from SKYDOG is that Duane said:
"B. B. King could bring tears to your eyes singing happy birthday."
In other words, B.B. has SO much feeeeling it's AMAZING! Y&T's song My Heart Plays Too explains it.

I really LOVE Y&T! This song is from the mid-70s. We try to put our hearts an' souls into every note & syllable in GOD BROS. too.

B. B. was the first major artist Duane & Gregg ever saw perform.
Sometimes that first concert really stays with you.
...like Deep Purple & CREAM in '68 has stayed with me.

Hopefully our God Bros. shows will stay with some young uns too.