Author Topic: Questions, Questions, Questions  (Read 6021 times)

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Questions, Questions, Questions
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »
 In all seriousness if The Nasty Habits were going to tour, I'd be seeking some professional help in the form of seasoned management (even with their shitty rep!) to handle all of these details, rooms venue etc. If I'm going out to play music at my best, that should be my only concern - not where/when we're playing next or eating/sleeping.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2010, 08:56:45 PM »
very accurate Mark. A good road manager is worth the money. I've toured with bands where band members act as the tour manager and without exception that person was next to useless as a musician at the end of 3 or 4 months.
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2010, 12:34:41 AM »
very accurate Mark. A good road manager is worth the money. I've toured with bands where band members act as the tour manager and without exception that person was next to useless as a musician at the end of 3 or 4 months.

Good to know! Tell us MORE!!!!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2010, 01:38:26 AM »
There are ppl far more experienced than me that can answer your questions Terr' . I have never toured in the US and I'm sure things are quite different there from here. Your question is like a "How long is a piece of string" question.
Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2010, 12:43:48 AM »
Been reading this wonderful book! Sure answers a lot of questions!!!!!!!!!!
A textbook for Music Biz & Touring:

www.amazon.com/Tour-Smart-Break-Martin-Atkins/dp/0979731305

Here's some of the reviews!

"After reading this book, it's almost painful to look back at some of the mistakes I've made and the money I've lost over the past several years, and to think about how many of them I could have easily avoided by using the advice and tips that are in this book. This book is enourmous, and every page seems to contain information that could have helped me out at least once. It's great to finally have this book available, and I can't wait to start using some of the strategies it outlines. Could not be more highly recommended for anyone in a band, with a label, or in any way involved in or interested in the music business."

"The best book I have read on the music business. EVER."

"Now I know why the failure rate is so high with bands. This book doesn't sugar coat anything. Finally, a music business book that doesn't have the "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough,.." self help mentality. All the ugly realities exposed!

It's a major reality check for anyone that wants to become a full time musician."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »

That looks pretty interesting, I'll be checking it out if for no other reason than the factt the we need to be out playing a lot more shows in 2011.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2010, 05:13:49 PM »
the first reality check is that you HAVE to have a good band and tunes, not  half assed dreamers  who want to be rock stars. after this painful truth is dealt with proceed with caution. ever onward.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 07:17:12 PM »
the first reality check is that you HAVE to have a good band and tunes, ( Who are focused and prepared to work hard as a team ) not  half assed dreamers  who want to be rock stars. after this painful truth is dealt with proceed with caution. ever onward.

The only way I was able to make a living for 10 years doing this was not because we were great musicians (most of us weren't) but because we were organised, energetic and focused. No dreamers or hitchikers. Even with all that, time and place which to a large degree are unconrolable variables play a large part. It was enough to make us a slightly above average living for that time. A massive void between that and making us rich and famous. The best I can say is No regrets. 

Digresion our specialty!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
Between this book Tour Smart & nofi's sage advice it would be easy for the average Joe to get discouraged.
If you have a good attitude of "Don't Let The Bastards Get You Down" tho you'll be all right.
I wanna hear some road stories from you guys, esp. leftybass (& nofi).
Did you rent a tourbus for your cross country tour, lefty?
It would be hard to put the driver up in a hotel while I sleep in a bunk on a noisy bus. >sheesh<
Never thot of that before reading this book.
In fact, there's something on 'most every page you probly never thot of tooo

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2010, 05:12:10 PM »
no tour buses, roadies, drivers or hotels for us. vans and cars like most everyone else. we were basically 'local guys'. our business model was get in, play your best, TRY to get paid and get out. it didn't always work so smoothly. especially if you left the club at 5:00 am and had to get to a day job. we booked ourselves where ever we could within a reasonable distance from home. everyone had day jobs so long trips were out of the question. it was fun for a long while, then a job and finally a pain in the ass.

some highlights and lowlights of those halcyon days:
played the atlanta federal prison where capone once stayed.
arrived at a club in athens just as it finished burning itself to the ground.
opened at the agora ballroom for john mayall.
played the 688 club in atlanta where the owner entertained us but blowing stuff off the walls with his shotgun after closing.
had a bass 'groupie' from georgia tech who was way too smart for me. :mrgreen:
after hours jam with members of the butterfield blues band and harp player thom ducette from the allman bros.

we hit it hard for many years. then guys started getting married, having kids etc. and the 'thrill was gone'. lots of good memories but little else to show for the effort. oh yeah. about six months after i quit and the rest of the guys drifted away the 'leader' accepted an offer to play the montreux blues festival with a new band. timing IS everything.  :rolleyes: other bands came and went but my heart wasn't in it anymore.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:36:23 PM by nofi »

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2010, 05:18:06 PM »
Guess your posts are worth reading then, nofi. lol
Kudos to ya!
 BIG Kudos to your fearless leader who tuffed it out & found success.
Is he still ROCKIN'...er Bluesin'?

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2010, 05:39:56 PM »
yeah, 'chicago bob nelson' is still around and has made a name for himself in blues circles. i think there are a couple of videos of him on you tube. btw muddy waters gave him that 'chicago bob' nickname when bob was a kid in chicago following muddy around.