Author Topic: This is nice ...  (Read 5318 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
This is nice ...
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:04:57 AM »
... even if it's coming from a Kraut. There are way too few melodic bass solos in this world.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: This is nice ...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:37:05 AM »
Nice.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2019, 02:19:29 AM »
I met him several times and he's a great guy too!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2019, 09:00:24 AM »
Yes, he had a long battle with cancer but is now recuperating and touring again though it has left its marks on his stamina.

What I like about Hattler is that in all his playing he never loses a hummable melody. A lot of other virtuoso bassists do and their jazzy lightning-fast scales then tend to sound same-ish.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2019, 02:20:19 PM »
Lovely!
And great to hear someone playing a bass solo with a pick.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 03:56:10 PM »
Hattler is a convinced pick player, he finds it "more logical and functional to play downstrokes on the downbeat and upstrokes on the offbeat, pick playing invites to do that". He plays the same oversized Heriba picks I do (coincidence, Heriba is a German brand whose picks you can find in even the most remote mom & pop store), we both use the black version though.

They're hard (but not too stiff), yet thin, so they don't kill/muffle the harmonics like many heavier plectrums do. Hattler relies on that for his harmonics-rich sound.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 04:31:48 AM by uwe »

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2019, 05:06:12 PM »
Nice to keep seeing threads like this.  As opposed to tripe sometimes found elsewhere that maintains you're not a real bassist unless you're playing finger style.  Actually, I've got a friend like this.  He would rather die than use a pick. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2019, 07:22:23 PM »
All pick players are crap, sound the same and are generally an unmusical bunch.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:33:24 PM by uwe »

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 09:07:23 PM »
I'll just leave this here... sadly no video
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »
I only saw the "real" (discuss!) YES (Benoit David & Geoff Downes line up on the Fly From Here tour) once but that performance is immortalized by Squire's utter stage dominance (in a pleasant, non-Ted-Nugent-way  :) ), general gung-ho attitude, devil-may-care gifted sloppiness and, errrr ... V O L U M E !!! He was a force of nature. I can't remember any other band where a non lead-vocalist bass player held the whole band (in the case of YES not exactly consisting of slouches and shrinking violets) so much in his grip. That said, he sang so much, he was really a second lead vocalist.

I also saw the "other" (discuss even more!) YES aka ARW quite recently and Lee Pomeroy played all the right notes skillfully on his lefty Ric, but he wasn't in any way leading the band like Squire had. The difference (from a bass player's view) was profound, Chris Squire's occasional bum notes or not! He was - may the eternal bass gods (un)rest his soul - a real Ric-Rambo. If sometimes in his mother's wardrobe. :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:49:00 AM by uwe »

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 09:10:07 AM »
that performance is immortalized by Squire's utter stage dominance (in a pleasant, non-Ted-Nugent-way  :) ), general gung-ho attitude, devil-may-care gifted sloppiness and, errrr ... V O L U M E !!! He was a force of nature. I can't remember any other band where a non lead-vocalist bass player held the whole band (in the case of YES not exactly consisting of slouches and shrinking violets) so much in his grip. That said, he sang so much, he was really a second lead vocalist.

I agree with all of this 1000%.

As for that whole anti-pick thing - It's both annoying and comical, usually spewed by people who don't know WTF they're talking about. Uwe's run of videos is just part of a list of legendary, respected bass players who use a pick some or all of the time. Add Entwistle, JPJ, Steve Swallow (a jazzer!), Tom Hamilton, Macca, on and on...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
"I agree with all of this 1000%."

Can't you do better? I hate how non-committal you are.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 03:33:43 PM »
I agree with all of this 1000%.

As for that whole anti-pick thing - It's both annoying and comical, usually spewed by people who don't know WTF they're talking about. Uwe's run of videos is just part of a list of legendary, respected bass players who use a pick some or all of the time. Add Entwistle, JPJ, Steve Swallow (a jazzer!), Tom Hamilton, Macca, on and on...

99% of the anti-pick crowd are just third rate losers. Occasionally an accomplished bassist will say something ignorant (Chuck Rainey comes to mind) but for the most part, it's just jealous wannabes.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 07:36:45 PM »
Carol Kaye is 100% pick...
Tony Levin switches ...
So many excellent players use picks.
It's just snobbery to be anti-pick. 
Don't like them? Don't use them.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2019, 12:31:55 AM »
Here is a good article (in two parts) by one of the best known pick players--Bobby Vega.  Note these points he makes--

When somebody says real bass players don’t use a pick, my first thoughts are: (1) I guess they can’t play bass with a pick, and (2) they’re cheating themselves out of a lot of music.

https://www.bassplayer.com/artists/bobby-vega-to-pick-or-not-to-pick-part-i

https://www.bassplayer.com/lessons/bobby-vega-to-pick-or-not-to-pick-part-2
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal