Author Topic: This is nice ...  (Read 5317 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: This is nice ...
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 11:04:05 AM »

Nothing better than playing a '76 Bird loud with a pick - Big clanky MF'er.  :-*
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 01:38:33 PM »
Real bassists play arco!

(ducking for cover)  :mrgreen:

Been there, done that ...

The  bow-wielding electric bassist you hear in the above audio later on ditched his arco aspirations in the Australian wilderness looking for American thighs to knock him out. The rest is history.

We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 10:51:50 PM »
;D ;D ;D I'm getting T-shirts made with that slogan!

Market them to the right audience and you could make some real money.  ;)

Hushnel

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2019, 01:51:14 PM »
Interesting thread, I wasn’t aware that anyone cared either way. I use a pick rarely, but I always have one with me. I make them out of rawhide, sometimes ebony, even vintage tortoise shell.

I knew of a guy in Gainesville back in the 70s that was missing his right hand just above the wrist, he was a good bassist, he had a leather prosthetic with a pick installed. He had to play from the elbow.

I paralyzed my right arm by 50% when I broke my neck in an automotive accident, previously I had crushed the radial head in my right arm elbow the doc fused it. Three times in my life I had to re-learn how to play. The good news is it’s been 27 years since I’ve used alcohol or other intoxicants “o) and better than I ever was on bass or guitar.

Any tool it takes to service the song is appropriate. I ain’t you, you ain’t me and there is nothing wrong with that.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2019, 05:00:40 PM »
Interesting thread, I wasn’t aware that anyone cared either way. I use a pick rarely, but I always have one with me. I make them out of rawhide, sometimes ebony, even vintage tortoise shell.

I knew of a guy in Gainesville back in the 70s that was missing his right hand just above the wrist, he was a good bassist, he had a leather prosthetic with a pick installed. He had to play from the elbow.

I paralyzed my right arm by 50% when I broke my neck in an automotive accident, previously I had crushed the radial head in my right arm elbow the doc fused it. Three times in my life I had to re-learn how to play. The good news is it’s been 27 years since I’ve used alcohol or other intoxicants “o) and better than I ever was on bass or guitar.

Any tool it takes to service the song is appropriate. I ain’t you, you ain’t me and there is nothing wrong with that.

It shouldn't matter, but it does to some people.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2019, 01:53:35 AM »
The  bow-wielding electric bassist you hear in the above audio later on ditched his arco aspirations in the Australian wilderness looking for American thighs to knock him out. The rest is history.

Don't remember him using the upright live...  :P (supporting Slade, 73 or 74 ish)

That bass Jim Lea was playing, Ma'am... iirc Scott's too...

Gustafson was incredible to watch live... just the once with Gillan... fretless and fretted Wal's...

As for tools of the trade... use both, but mostly fingers these days, and my nails for a bit of clank from time to time too...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2019, 03:36:39 AM »
I believe Cliff Williams used the bow on his electric bass on this particular Home track - not on an upright.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...