Author Topic: This is nice ...  (Read 5319 times)

4stringer77

• View Profile
Re: This is nice ...
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »
Playing with a pick is fine but playing a T bird with a clip on tuner at a performance I can't abide. C'mon Martin Turner.
I think some of the anti pick attitude is just an inferiority complex from bass players who don't want to seem like they're wishing they were guitar players.
Good stuff Uwe btw.
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »
I think some anti-pick bias is also thinly disguised genre bias. Specifically against hard rock, metal, punk, and the thousands of offshoots from them, where pick playing dominates.

This takes a couple forms. One is dismissing music that is simple, as if simplicity is a failing and "real" musicians are only found in more difficult styles.  Snobbery again.

And that doesn't fly as a bias against a lot of metal groups of course, which can get into extremely difficult music..Just to pick one ...  I'm not a Megadeth fan per se, but I do find them worth an occasional listen and it takes a really intense level of dedicated musicianship to play like Elefson, and it would be absurd to say that his playing would be improved by losing the pick when he's built his whole sound and approach around it. I've read comments of people on YouTube saying he's not really playing bass, he's playing rhythm guitar. To which I say, this is a problem how exactly? His parts fit the music, and if that's what you want to call it, then I'd say he's a better rhythm guitarist than most guitarists.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 07:18:47 PM »
I think some anti-pick bias is also thinly disguised genre bias. Specifically against hard rock, metal, punk, and the thousands of offshoots from them, where pick playing dominates.

This takes a couple forms. One is dismissing music that is simple, as if simplicity is a failing and "real" musicians are only found in more difficult styles.  Snobbery again.

And that doesn't fly as a bias against a lot of metal groups of course, which can get into extremely difficult music..Just to pick one ...  I'm not a Megadeth fan per se, but I do find them worth an occasional listen and it takes a really intense level of dedicated musicianship to play like Elefson, and it would be absurd to say that his playing would be improved by losing the pick when he's built his whole sound and approach around it. I've read comments of people on YouTube saying he's not really playing bass, he's playing rhythm guitar. To which I say, this is a problem how exactly? His parts fit the music, and if that's what you want to call it, then I'd say he's a better rhythm guitarist than most guitarists.

In other words, some of the best genres are ones that tend to call for bass playing with a pick--the way I look at it at least.  Hard rock to me is the most interesting kind of rock and some metal is also good. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:04:27 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 10:02:07 AM »
I believe that some of the bias came from upright bassists who refused to recognize electric bass guitar as legitimate. They looked down on guitarists who started playing electric bass, and resented losing gigs when it caught on.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 11:07:09 AM »
I believe that some of the bias came from upright bassists who refused to recognize electric bass guitar as legitimate. They looked down on guitarists who started playing electric bass, and resented losing gigs when it caught on.

I agree!  Anthony Jackson said "it's whatever it takes to make the song sound right".

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2019, 10:15:13 AM »

I don't ever bother getting into any debates about it, but I often ask the question - "Would you tell an upright player they can't use a bow?".  ;D And what about guitarists playing finger-style?  :-X

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 10:18:18 AM »

That's a good point. Is it possible that younger generations who never even touched or listened to upright have inherited this without even knowing why?
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 11:54:38 AM »
All pick players are crap, sound the same and are generally an unmusical bunch.

Isn't that Scott's bass that Jimmy Lea is playing?
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 04:42:06 PM »
At least of the same make.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 04:48:14 PM »
Playing with a pick is fine but playing a T bird with a clip on tuner at a performance I can't abide.

I'll tell him to take it off when I'm in Cologne to see him end of this month!  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 05:00:12 PM »

Does it actually? I agree that pick playing is more popular in those genres, but does it really constitute the majority? Geezer Butler, Gary Thain, Cliff Burton, Trevor Bolder, Steve Dawson, Neil Murray, Rudy Sarzo, Steve Harris, Geddy Lee, Robert Trujillo, Dusty Hill, Marco Mendoza, Rob Grange - there are plenty of finger playing rockers.

I sometimes think that pick playing is probably most popular in prog music - lots of notes played fast with a bright sound and a quick attack. Chris Squire, John Wetton, Roger Waters, Greg Lake, Dougie Thomson (Supertramp), Ray Shulman (Gentle Giant), Michael Rutherford, almost all Jethro Tull bassists (and there have been a few) ...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 05:20:19 PM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2019, 06:20:43 PM »
At least of the same make.

I'm thinking that's Scott's, IIRC Lea signed it.
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2019, 10:18:51 PM »
I don't ever bother getting into any debates about it, but I often ask the question - "Would you tell an upright player they can't use a bow?".  ;D And what about guitarists playing finger-style?  :-X

Real bassists play arco!

(ducking for cover)  :mrgreen:

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 02:25:14 AM »
I'm thinking that's Scott's, IIRC Lea signed it.

Yes he signed it, but I'm pretty sure Scott got a new replica of that bass.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 08:33:50 AM »
Real bassists play arco!

(ducking for cover)  :mrgreen:

;D ;D ;D I'm getting T-shirts made with that slogan!