Author Topic: SB-400 heads up  (Read 5214 times)

amptech

• View Profile
SB-400 heads up
« on: September 16, 2018, 12:30:34 AM »
On ebay.

I still follow SB-300 on ebay, I look for a project at a good price. Unfortunately, this one here
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-SB300-gibson-bass-guitar/132780262718
looked like a candidate, but I suppose it's a SB-400 as it looks like it has a long neck, and bridge all the way down.

I guess many of you guys here like the 400?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: SB-400 heads up
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 10:24:48 PM »
That does look like an SB-400. Even if it turns out to be working, that's a lot more than I'd pay for a stripped bass with no logo.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 10:34:56 AM »
Dave is a great fan of the SB family - he has often opined on their remarkable sound!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 10:47:40 AM »
Dave is a great fan of the SB family - he has often opined on their remarkable sound!

Remarkable isn't the word for it.

To be fair, I've only played one, an SB-300. That was enough for me. Tone like hitting a wet cardboard box.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 08:32:12 AM »
Dave must have had a duff one with possibly dead strings. Actually, the 300/400 series especially (with the meek-looking guitar pups), has a very sweet and clear single coil sound, airy, but not whimpy, clear, but not sterile. Jazz Bass lovers that want a bit more ooomph wouldn't be appalled.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 05:16:38 PM »
It's been close to 20 years, too long ago to remember the strings or much of anything other than the lifeless tone.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 12:45:15 AM »
Tone like hitting a wet cardboard box.
That exactly was my first impression of an EB0, in a Denmark Street shop some 30+ years ago. I've learned since that it was accurate.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »
That exactly was my first impression of an EB0, in a Denmark Street shop some 30+ years ago. I've learned since that it was accurate.

In that case, we're using the same term to describe basses that are almost exact opposites.

The SB-300 I played was clear in tone but low in output and had almost no sustain. Lifeless. An EB-0 is muddy, high output, unfocused unless you use some radical EQing, and has tons of sustain since it will drive any amp into overdrive at all but the lowest setting.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 09:36:12 AM »
In that case, we're using the same term to describe basses that are almost exact opposites.

The SB-300 I played was clear in tone but low in output and had almost no sustain. Lifeless. An EB-0 is muddy, high output, unfocused unless you use some radical EQing, and has tons of sustain since it will drive any amp into overdrive at all but the lowest setting.

A totally accurate description of an EB-0.  When playing one, pets, small children and fragile objects need to be kept at a safe distance.  Depending on the volume and, of course, what it's being played though, it has the capability of shaking the foundations of the earth. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 11:24:57 AM »
The SB-300 I played was clear in tone but low in output and had almost no sustain.

That's pretty much what my EB-4L was like when I first got it.  It now sports a mudbucker.

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 02:50:01 PM »
I have a Mudbucker in my eb4l too ,also a thunderbucker as well.Small sounding it is not.Love to try an sb400 but unlikely here in NZ.
Louder bass!.

ajkula66

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2018, 03:46:57 PM »
A totally accurate description of an EB-0.  When playing one, pets, small children and fragile objects need to be kept at a safe distance.  Depending on the volume and, of course, what it's being played though, it has the capability of shaking the foundations of the earth. 

You should experience my EB-0L which is strung BEAD. I always warn those about to try it out that they may end up being on on dialisys for the rest of their lives... :mrgreen:
"...knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules..." (King Crimson)

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2018, 04:59:37 PM »
You should experience my EB-0L which is strung BEAD. I always warn those about to try it out that they may end up being on on dialisys for the rest of their lives... :mrgreen:

It sounds like it can double as both a musical instrument and a weapon.   ;D
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2018, 11:05:05 PM »

I may have mentioned this before. About 1996-97, fooling around with my old slothead EB-0L after a gig, a neighbor made a noise complaint. Cops came and thought there was a party with a loud boombox b/c the awnings over my front door and windows were literally moving up and down. Nope, just me, the bass and my Mesa rig.  :)

I can imagine!

I had my EB-0F for part of the same time as my EB-0L, the longer scale was noticeably clearer but had just as much boom.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2018, 02:44:01 AM »
I may have mentioned this before. About 1996-97, fooling around with my old slothead EB-0L after a gig, a neighbor made a noise complaint. Cops came and thought there was a party with a loud boombox b/c the awnings over my front door and windows were literally moving up and down. Nope, just me, the bass and my Mesa rig.  :)

I can imagine!

I had my EB-0F for part of the same time as my EB-0L, the longer scale was noticeably clearer but had just as much boom.

I've had the police come many times during band practices, but never when I'm just playing alone.  When it's just me, I usually don't turn up much.  That's a funny story, though, and it isn't hard for me at all to imagine how that happened.   

--Blaise Pascal