Author Topic: Gibson 2019 lineup is out -- yes, there are basses  (Read 6368 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson 2019 lineup is out -- yes, there are basses
« on: August 31, 2018, 08:43:17 PM »
Reverb article

Nice selection of lower priced items, including a $799 doublecut Junior Tribute and some surprisingly low priced acoustic models.

CME bass listings on Reverb

$100 increase in MAP street price on the basses, and the TBird description is all wrong (obviously from one of the guitar models), but assuming the photos are accurate, the TBird has the old TB+ pickups and both the TBird and SG Bass have the old three-point bridges. Neither bass is on Gibson's website yet but CME shows both as In Stock.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson 2019 lineup is out -- yes, there are basses
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 11:29:19 AM »
Another article from MF. Scroll to the very end and you'll see that the EB 4 and 5 are back too and still have the Babicz bridge and Jim DeCola pickups. $50 price increase on these.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 03:00:39 AM »
Been seeing stuff come through for 2019 Gibson over the last day or two.  I'm not on the market for another bass, so from that perspective it's lovely to see they're continuing to hold faith in the new EB models and have decided to look backward and reintroduce the three point bridge on Thunderbirds and whatever the SG-style basses are called nowadays.

Disappointingly (as I am on the market for a six string), if you want Les Pauls and SGs, your demand will be satiated and no doubt you'll be over them like a tramp on chips (USA; a hobo on fries), but sadly (for a company so rooted in the reissuing or reinvention of heritage models), there's still no faithful Les Paul Junior DC or Firebird with a single mini-humbucker.  Nothing like not giving the masses what they want so as to ramp up demand.  And don't look at the prices unless you have somewhere soft to land when you fall off your chair.

Sadly it's a meh from this side of the point.  I'd rather stretch and buy a MusicMan St Vincent HH in stealthy black.  Now that is a fantastic guitar.
The future I come from no longer exists.

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 04:08:15 AM »
Lovely wine red finish on the EB and the cherry burst on the T bird looks tastefully done. I hope they do well with the new lineup. Got to figure the more proceeds they get, the more they can pay off their creditors and thus be a little more choosey about who takes the reigns in the future, right?
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 12:59:03 PM »
The SG standard looks pretty good, and fortunately it's short scale, which IMO works best in that body style.  Nice to see they haven't forgotten it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »
Been seeing stuff come through for 2019 Gibson over the last day or two.  I'm not on the market for another bass, so from that perspective it's lovely to see they're continuing to hold faith in the new EB models and have decided to look backward and reintroduce the three point bridge on Thunderbirds and whatever the SG-style basses are called nowadays.

Disappointingly (as I am on the market for a six string), if you want Les Pauls and SGs, your demand will be satiated and no doubt you'll be over them like a tramp on chips (USA; a hobo on fries), but sadly (for a company so rooted in the reissuing or reinvention of heritage models), there's still no faithful Les Paul Junior DC or Firebird with a single mini-humbucker.  Nothing like not giving the masses what they want so as to ramp up demand.  And don't look at the prices unless you have somewhere soft to land when you fall off your chair.

Sadly it's a meh from this side of the point.  I'd rather stretch and buy a MusicMan St Vincent HH in stealthy black.  Now that is a fantastic guitar.

Keep in mid that this is a transitional lineup. No doubt it was in the works before the bankruptcy filing. When the Chapter 11 is complete and new management is in charge, there will be more changes. More faithful reissues? Hard to say. I hope so.

Lovely wine red finish on the EB and the cherry burst on the T bird looks tastefully done. I hope they do well with the new lineup. Got to figure the more proceeds they get, the more they can pay off their creditors and thus be a little more choosey about who takes the reigns in the future, right?

The payoff for the secured creditors will be ownership of the company. The guitar side of Gibson Brands has been profitable but there would never have been enough proceeds from the guitar business in time to pay off the debt Henry took on buying the electronics businesses.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 12:04:10 AM »
This is the first time I see a Cherry Sunburst Thunderbird made by Gibson.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 08:46:35 AM »
The Reverb page seem to be offline

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 08:49:32 AM »
This is the first time I see a Cherry Sunburst Thunderbird made by Gibson.

...and the last hopefully.
 ;D
The future I come from no longer exists.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2018, 10:26:01 AM »
The Reverb page seem to be offline

Both Reverb links are working for me.

Christine

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2018, 10:34:20 AM »
Both Reverb links are working for me.
I have nothing either

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 10:55:34 AM »
I have nothing either

Maybe it's because CME doesn't ship Gibsons outside the US. If you're logged in, they know your location.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 11:25:27 AM »
Really a swamp ash body on the TBird? That would be something new. Not that its automatically a bad idea. I could see it working, the swamp ash sounds nice on the EB-4 and EB-5.

Gibson Thunderbird Bass 2019

If you’re looking for something a little different, you may want to consider the offset 2019 Gibson Thunderbird Bass. The Thunderbird Bass has a 34” scale. It features a Swamp Ash body, black chrome-plated hardware and a 3-point adjustable bridge. The neck pickup is a Rhythm T-Bird while the bridge pickup is a Lead T-Bird. Black top hat knobs (with silver inserts) offer you access to two volume controls and one master tone control.

Going back to the old three point (I have no issues with, but many people do) and the old pups (ditto) is retrogressive though. Are you sure you saw the 2019 (and not the 2018) TB offered in cardinal red, Doomie?

Scandinavians have this thing with cardinals.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 11:35:58 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 12:15:12 PM »
I could find basses on other sites, but just black and red SG's, sunburst Birds and a lefty and the EB's.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2018, 05:01:42 PM »
And you didn't just look on the Wärwick site?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...