Author Topic: Gibson 2019 lineup is out -- yes, there are basses  (Read 6369 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson 2019 lineup is out -- yes, there are basses
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »
No, the TBird isn't swamp ash, and it doesn't have a figured maple top (which the CME listing showed). You can tell from the pics that it's the usual mahogany.

Sweetwater's listing has the right description. Heritage cherry sunburst TBird

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2018, 03:35:49 AM »

[/i]
 Are you sure you saw the 2019 (and not the 2018) TB offered in cardinal red, Doomie?

Yes, I saw the 2019 Cherry Sunburst Thunderbird.  ;)

This is the first time I see a Cherry Sunburst Thunderbird made by Gibson.

And to Chris, I did'nt see the proper Reverb page until I chose shipping to United States instead of Sweden on the left side menu (kind of like Dave said).

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2018, 07:05:37 AM »
You mean Warwick as in the supplier of the best Gibson bridge? That Warwick?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2018, 10:26:58 AM »
That Jr Tribute is nice, especially in brown, but I am not a fan of the new pickguard shape.  I get that it's cheaper due to 1 large front route vs routes front and back, but they could have kept it closer.

... looks like Ttribute' is the new 'Studio' judging by the new Firebird Tribute.  Only bass I see is the TBird.  ..ah there they are; so the EB-4/5 are basically updated Victories / Q series with an extended upper horn.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2018, 11:41:59 AM »
That Jr Tribute is nice, especially in brown, but I am not a fan of the new pickguard shape.  I get that it's cheaper due to 1 large front route vs routes front and back, but they could have kept it closer.

... looks like Ttribute' is the new 'Studio' judging by the new Firebird Tribute.  Only bass I see is the TBird.  ..ah there they are; so the EB-4/5 are basically updated Victories / Q series with an extended upper horn.

This is the third year for the current EB-4/5, haven't you noticed them before?

Agreed, cost must be the reason for the Jr. Tribute pickguard shape. At least the way it ends below the jack should reduce pickguard cracking there. They should sell a ton of them.

The Les Paul Tribute line started in 2013, the whole idea was to have stripped down versions to keep costs down, especially finishing cost. Prices on Studios have really gone up, and I'm sure the full gloss finishes are a major reason. For 2019, the "regular" LP Tribute is $1199 and the Studio is $1699.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 11:59:34 AM »
You mean Warwick as in the supplier of the best Gibson bridge? That Warwick?

These Dutch jesters ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 12:29:43 PM »
This is the third year for the current EB-4/5, haven't you noticed them before?

Busted  :-[  I just assumed they were like the EBs just before that (the ones everyone liked).  I try not to look much to avoid the GAS pains... also long scale so ... mostly the GAS pains.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2018, 03:33:04 AM »

This is nasty. 

How difficult, honestly now, would it have been to program a CNC machine to cut a damn hole for a P90, a few holes for the bridge, pots and output jack, then flip it over and rout out a control cavity?  While it shouldn't upset me, it just does.  With the vintage market going crazy, the wait for an affordable Junior DC goes on.  Sigh.

The future I come from no longer exists.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2018, 08:03:48 AM »
This is nasty. 

How difficult, honestly now, would it have been to program a CNC machine to cut a damn hole for a P90, a few holes for the bridge, pots and output jack, then flip it over and rout out a control cavity?  While it shouldn't upset me, it just does.  With the vintage market going crazy, the wait for an affordable Junior DC goes on.  Sigh.

Yeah, I don't get it. I run a high end flight case company and we have a CNC router, and more recently a laser (mostly for cutting foam). Our competitor across town also has a CNC or two. According to MANY people I've talked to, those guys won't make certain changes to a design, and basically tell customers "no, you want it THIS way". It's NOT that hard to change a CAD file! I get that Gibson guitars are more of a mass-produced product than what we do, and flipping the wood can become time consuming over a large run, but still...

FrankieTbird

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2018, 12:23:05 PM »

To be frank, it looks like crap to me.  What is it exactly a tribute to?  There has been no LP Jr. in Gibson's history like this one.  It reminds me a lot of some of their short-lived models of the late '70s/early '80s.  We all know how successful those were, some of the only vintage Gibson guitars you can still easily buy for under a grand.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »
I know it's not a Gibson, but Allen Eden are doing a nice looking DC...even the offset headstock looks OK really.  $460 incl. a hard case.

The future I come from no longer exists.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2018, 01:33:41 PM »

To be frank, it looks like crap to me.  What is it exactly a tribute to?  There has been no LP Jr. in Gibson's history like this one.  It reminds me a lot of some of their short-lived models of the late '70s/early '80s.  We all know how successful those were, some of the only vintage Gibson guitars you can still easily buy for under a grand.

Looks like most guitarists don't agree with the opinions here. So far, it's a hit. Sweetwater is sold out already and CME is sown to one worn black finish model in stock. Opinions at MLP are positive so far, except for one.

The Tribute series aren't reissues. They're tributes to the styles, at lower cost. This one also has a maple neck with a 60s slim taper profile, that's not historic either. It's an entry level American made guitar. You don't have to like it, but I think it will be very popular with its intended market.

I know it's not a Gibson, but Allen Eden are doing a nice looking DC...even the offset headstock looks OK really.  $460 incl. a hard case.

That looks nice. Hope they don't get sued over the body shape. Still, it's a Chinese guitar. Not Gibson's market. Might be a big seller if it were an Epi.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »
It's interesting to me that Fender takes criticism for re-doing the P and the J to death, but if Gibson changes the shape of a pickguard the faithful begin lamenting how nasty the new look is and how Gibson has wandered from the path of righteousness.

Rather amusing, don'cha know?   ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2018, 03:39:24 PM »
You've got people who criticize Gibson from the inside, then others who criticize from the outside.  To me there is a difference.  I guess that's just another way of saying there is constructive criticism and criticism which is anything but that. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2018, 06:08:43 PM »
I know that anything said here is said with lotsa Gibson love.  This group is the kind of people who love and buy their instruments, so they should be listening.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."