Author Topic: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.  (Read 10949 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2015, 05:32:38 AM »
Well, I opened up the control cavity and it's a thing of wiring beauty.  Never been touched as far as I can tell.  After some soul searching, I've decided to replace the crappy barrel jack with a standard Switchcraft model.  I'll have to enlarge the jack hole to 3/4" and put a LP plate on, but hey, I am not messing with a barrel jack again.  This is one mod I think is a genuine upgrade.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2015, 05:38:46 AM »
Well, I opened up the control cavity and it's a thing of wiring beauty.  Never been touched as far as I can tell.  After some soul searching, I've decided to replace the crappy barrel jack with a standard Switchcraft model.  I'll have to enlarge the jack hole to 3/4" and put a LP plate on, but hey, I am not messing with a barrel jack again.  This is one mod I think is a genuine upgrade.

Switchcraft makes a barrel jack.  Nothing wrong with it IMO. Try squirting some pot cleaner in yours or try a different cord first.  You may just have some corrosion on the contact points.

http://www.allparts.com/EP-0151-000-Switchcraft-Mono-Long-Threaded-Jack_p_1275.html

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2015, 06:15:21 AM »
Switchcraft makes a barrel jack.  Nothing wrong with it IMO. Try squirting some pot cleaner in yours or try a different cord first.  You may just have some corrosion on the contact points.

http://www.allparts.com/EP-0151-000-Switchcraft-Mono-Long-Threaded-Jack_p_1275.html

Well, you do have a point.  The problem with the jack, just like the one on my Kubicki, is the clip inside gets stretched over time and the 1/4 plug loses contact with it when it moves.  If you could get inside and bend the clip back in place, that would be great!  I guess I can wait a few days for the barrel jacks to get here.  I really wanted to take it to practice tomorrow, but it can wait till next week.  I have a couple but they are stereo and made in japan.  I want US made for this bass.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2015, 06:39:19 AM »
Well, you do have a point.  The problem with the jack, just like the one on my Kubicki, is the clip inside gets stretched over time and the 1/4 plug loses contact with it when it moves.  If you could get inside and bend the clip back in place, that would be great!  I guess I can wait a few days for the barrel jacks to get here.  I really wanted to take it to practice tomorrow, but it can wait till next week.  I have a couple but they are stereo and made in japan.  I want US made for this bass.

I think that makes sense with a bass that hasn't been modded.  No problem with the jack on mine, there's a nice click when the plug engages.  I'll use another barrel jack if it goes bad.  I like the way Guild soldered the thing directly to a pot.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2015, 07:32:34 AM »
I think that makes sense with a bass that hasn't been modded.  No problem with the jack on mine, there's a nice click when the plug engages.  I'll use another barrel jack if it goes bad.  I like the way Guild soldered the thing directly to a pot.

Yeah, interesting way of doing it.  Say, could I hook up one of the stereo jacks temporarily?  Which of the center poles would I use to do so?

Bill

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2015, 08:20:17 AM »
Yeah, interesting way of doing it.  Say, could I hook up one of the stereo jacks temporarily?  Which of the center poles would I use to do so?

Bill

Not sure.  On the one I just checked it's the short lug.

My way of checking is to put a mono plug in the jack and  use a meter to check continuity from the plug tip contact to the center lugs of the stereo jack.  One will read with the tip, the other with the shaft.  You can do the same thing with a guitar cord, plug it in and check using the meter on the other plug.

If you solder the without checking it will work one way and not the other.  Easy enough to resolder to the correct lug.  Go for it!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2015, 08:51:23 AM »
Thanks Carlo, will do!

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2015, 10:00:28 AM »
If you solder the without checking it will work one way and not the other.

In my experience, if you solder without checking it, it is absolutely guaranteed to be the wrong way!   ;)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2015, 10:38:45 AM »
IME half the time it doesn't work either way. :-[

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »
In my experience, if you solder without checking it, it is absolutely guaranteed to be the wrong way!   ;)

Amen!  Even with a 50/50 chance of getting it right, I always seem to miss the mark!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
IME half the time it doesn't work either way. :-[

Ouch, I hope not!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2015, 06:57:03 AM »
Carlo, you are so right!  Neither lug worked although the meter said the shortest one should.  Guess I'll just wait for the mono jack to get here.  Damn....

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2015, 12:07:55 PM »
Well, it's not so bad after all.  The barrel jack is due tomorrow!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2015, 12:15:21 PM »
Well, it's not so bad after all.  The barrel jack is due tomorrow!

Woo Hoo...check your cord(s).

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2015, 01:02:21 PM »
My cord worked fine in my other basses just yesterday.  Shouldn't be an issue.  Could be the crappy jack I tried.  Probably made in China.  The other one I have is from Japan.  Oh well, I'll give it a go tomorrow when the new one arrives and double check my cord too.