Author Topic: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.  (Read 10879 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2015, 08:09:10 AM »
There's one in marginally better shape than mine with a BIN of $1K more so I think I paid a reasonable price.

The weight is good, no neck dive, and there's a lot of tonal variation.  Even the bari switch is usable with the neck pup at 1/2 volume and bridge full on.
Look forward to your thoghts on yours.  There's a nice natural one on Reverb but the price is silly.

https://reverb.com/item/453128-guild-m-85-ii-bluesbird-bass-1976-natural?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CNmKz5D1pcUCFdQ9gQodwgEA9w

Yeah, I decided that I wouldn't pay more then $1500 for one in good- very good condition.  Didn't think that could happen, but one popped up right after yours!  I only paid that for my LP Triumph years ago and that was a good deal IMHO. It's due in tomorrow.

I also didn't want a restoration project as I want to focus on my own bass building, not rehab work.  I'm constantly running out of time to get things done!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 07:51:31 AM »
Yeah, I decided that I wouldn't pay more then $1500 for one in good- very good condition.  Didn't think that could happen, but one popped up right after yours!

The one you bought was the first one I saw, Bill.  My fallback plan was to BIN it if I didn't snipe the one I got.  Hope you like yours.  Once I figured out all the knobs and switches I'm getting some great tones out of it.

For me it's neck pup V @ 5 with the bass boost on, T dimed and bridge pup dimed V&T.  Then the toggle gives 3 usable tones.  21 frets are nice.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 09:00:48 AM »
Glad to hear you can get some good tone out of it!  Mine just showed up and I am very happy with it thus far.  It's really only muddy when you play just the neck pup.  Not as muddy as a Gibson by any means.  And the baritone switch doesn't bleed off too much of the lows as far as I can tell.  I think the pups have plenty of power and tonal variety.  The one electronic flaw is the barrel jack shorts out some if you wiggle the cord.  Probably have to replace it.  Action is amazing, set up really nice right out of the case.  I didn't expect that.

The body is in great shape.  All mahogany.  Thumb wear on the front and a minor buckle mark on the back.  No repairs or damage.  The neck is just how I like them. It's really perfect for my short fingers.   It's also straight with no issues.  The strings are older than dirt, they gotta go.  It's lighter than my LP Triumph and I like the tone a little better.  Overall, this is a great bass for a great price IMHO.

Going to practice on Thursday night!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2015, 09:39:13 AM »
Dueling M-85s...COOL!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2015, 10:07:58 AM »
Dueling M-85s...COOL!

+1

A word about the original Bisonics.  I had two Starfires over the years and they were not as full or strong as these.  So while the Bisonics may look pretty cool, these Guild pups just plain sound better.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 12:35:36 PM by drbassman »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
I'm pleased that I'm not the only one sticking up for the Guild humbuckers.

Bill, if you ever get the urge, it would be interesting if you did a temporary swap of the M-85 bridge with the 90s Guild bridge that's on the Fender Rascal.  If it's anything like my experience with the Schaller 2000 (mentioned above), the difference should be really obvious. Not sure if they have the exact same hole pattern though.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:00 PM »
I'm pleased that I'm not the only one sticking up for the Guild humbuckers.

Bill, if you ever get the urge, it would be interesting if you did a temporary swap of the M-85 bridge with the 90s Guild bridge that's on the Fender Rascal.  If it's anything like my experience with the Schaller 2000 (mentioned above), the difference should be really obvious. Not sure if they have the exact same hole pattern though.

When I got the M-85 the bridge plate screws weren't screwed all the way into the body (there are rubber washers between the plate and the body.  I screwed them down tight compressing them as much as possible.  That helped, I may go to metal washers.  Next is some aluminum saddles, just ordered  some .375 x .5 bar stock.  They shouldn't be too difficult to fabricate.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »
Hey Dave, I am really pleased with the Guild pups.  Strong, heavy on the low end, and only slightly muddy if using the neck alone.  I'm also surprised that the Bari switch doesn't cut a lot of volume when engaged. 

I did have one of those DeArmond bridges for years NOS sitting in a drawer.  I sold it last year figuring I didn't need it!  They are easy to adjust and don't have the fragile rosewood saddles.  The saddles on mine are pretty decent so I think it will be ok.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2015, 12:48:50 PM »
Didn't expect to say this, but she's quite a looker... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2015, 04:19:35 PM »
Didn't expect to say this, but she's quite a looker... ;)

Thanks Kenny.  The mahogany top is a nice touch.  Some if these had spruce or maple.

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2015, 05:12:28 PM »
Haven't been here in a while but I have a soft spot for the M-85. Plus, if you're going to come back might as well come back with a bang! It's not a bari-switch, it's the DEEP-HARD TONE SWITCH!

This pic came from a JS-2 that was on sale at some point a few years ago.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2015, 05:37:45 PM »

A mint 1970 M-85 deep hollowbody with Hagstroms:

http://www.nationwideguitars.com/1970guildm85ii.html

Only $4195!

Haven't been here in a while but I have a soft spot for the M-85. Plus, if you're going to come back might as well come back with a bang! It's not a bari-switch, it's the DEEP-HARD TONE SWITCH!

This pic came from a JS-2 that was on sale at some point a few years ago.

Thanks!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2015, 05:40:10 PM »
LOL at the Deep-Hard. Might be accurate if there were an active bass boost.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2015, 07:35:36 PM »
+1

A word about the original Bisonics.  I had two Starfires over the years and they were not as full or strong as these.  So while the Bisonics may look pretty cool, these Guild pups just plain sound better.

I'm astonished by that. I have a M-85 with Bisonics and never noticed any drop off in volume from my Ricky. Rather the opposite. Now it is said that the Bisonics vary greatly, especially after close to 50 years, so maybe that's no surprise. Mine sound awesome so I guess I am lucky.

And my JS-II with Darkstars is so hot I have to plug it into the active input on any amp I use.

But each to one's own. I'd wager it depends on what you grew up playing and what sorta amp you run your bass through.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2015, 05:29:56 AM »
The difference might be that the two Starfires I had were single Bisonic models.  Maybe the 2 pup models have more oomph to them.  I wouldn't be surprised if that makes a noticeable difference.  Overall, it is what it is.  This bass sounds much better than the Starfires I had.  Maybe the Bionics really weren't made to be run as singles.

As for the Deep-Hard switch, they must have had a good laugh at Guild when they dreamed that moniker up!   :toast:  Hey man, let's call it the Deep-Hard switch.....pass me that doobie, will ya????