Author Topic: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.  (Read 10880 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2015, 05:49:53 AM »
 Beautiful bass Carlo! Dammit got me gassing for a Guild, I'm Guildess at the moment. Always wanted a carved JS II
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2015, 07:48:07 AM »
The necks are so nice and skinny on these things. Really fun to play with flats and a pick. I was totally happy with the stock pickups, though the neck pretty much drowned out the bridge. And the mini switch - I thought it engaged a bass-cut cap or something? Never used it.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »
And the mini switch - I thought it engaged a bass-cut cap or something? Never used it.

Ditto that. 
It was sorta their version of the baritone "suck switch", and if I recall it applied only to the neck pickup.  Sounded pretty awful when engaged  :)

One position enabled the full range output, and the other passed the neck pickup thru a cap - creating a high pass filter (choking out the lows). 
Similar to what Ric did on the bridge pickup of the 4001... but at least you could turn it off.

steveonbass

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2015, 05:31:17 AM »
I am one of the detractors of those pickups.  My Starfire has Darkstars and it was a VAST improvement in range.  The Bi-Sonic or Darkstars have much more dynamic response to touch - you can get very musical clean tones or you can dig in and actually overdrive the pickup with your right hand attack.  Nothing else like it. 

The Guild pickups are definitely muddy. Passable until you get them in a live mix. If someone wants to buy my Guild pickups, I would sell them. 

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »
I am one of the detractors of those pickups.  My Starfire has Darkstars and it was a VAST improvement in range.  The Bi-Sonic or Darkstars have much more dynamic response to touch - you can get very musical clean tones or you can dig in and actually overdrive the pickup with your right hand attack.  Nothing else like it. 

The Guild pickups are definitely muddy. Passable until you get them in a live mix. If someone wants to buy my Guild pickups, I would sell them.

To each his own, but I never bought into Fred's marketing-speak. Range means nothing if you don't care for the tone, and I don't. EMGs are even wider range than Darkstars; that certainly doesn't mean they're even better. The only thing that matters to me is whether or not I like the tone.

I had a JS-II. When I replaced that thin metal rosewood saddle bridge with a Schaller 2000, it's amazing how un-muddy those pickups sounded -- quite clear for bass humbuckers. I'd still have it but I got tired of the neck dive.

The Bisonic is no model of clarity with the original bridge either. IMHO that's the real problem.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2015, 12:32:33 AM »
The sound of the M-85 `II with the Guild humbuckers was definitely too tame for my liking. Just didn't sound commanding enough for me. I couldn't rock with that bass. I can imagine if you want to play pop songs, or any mellower style music it'd be perfect. It is a beautiful bass though.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2015, 06:59:30 AM »
And that's why we have different basses.  :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2015, 08:03:55 AM »
And that's why we have different basses.  :)

The more the merrier! ;D

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »
If someone wants to buy my Guild pickups, I would sell them.

PM me with a price, please.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2015, 02:07:51 PM »
Arrived just before noon for its incoming mug shot

Excellent job on the reset done in the nineties.  Receipt was in the case, cost $75.  Plugged it in, noticed pickups were too far from strings, action high, slight neck bow, saddles have been filed (badly, slots very deep) and the bridge plate is bent slightly on the E side.  Weight is 8lbs, 3 oz.  Case is in nice shape but the whole package reeks of tobacco.

Had some lunch and took it into the shop.  Tweaked the trussrod, lowered the bridge, raised the bridge pickup a lot, neck slightly.  I'm not having a problem  getting tone or volume out of it, using fingers or pick.  Typical Alnico humbuckers, they have to be very close to the strings.  The mini switch is sort of a bari switch, .033k cap, fairly unnecessary.  There's also a resistor on the treble pickup, maybe as a pop suppressor for the pup switch.  I might try bypassing it but the bridge pup is very loud and aggressive the way it is.  I'll either make some some saddles for the bridge or buy some repro rosewoods.

Haven't decided what if anything to do with it cosmetically besides fixing the headstock inlay.  At the moment I'm digging it.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2015, 06:02:29 PM »
It doesn't look so worn that you would have to refin. Wouldn't blame you if you did, though, especially since you have the facilities and knowledge.

IIRC the baritone switch was only connected to the neck pickup. I might be remembering wrong.

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2015, 07:44:45 PM »
"saddles have been filed (badly, slots very deep)"

I've been gradually lowering the saddles on my JS-II. The whole tail rig can be a little high, even with the bridge plate all the way down.

Thankfully I don't have that issue on my older M-85.    So I guess it's instrument specific.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2015, 05:38:11 AM »
It doesn't look so worn that you would have to refin. Wouldn't blame you if you did, though, especially since you have the facilities and knowledge.

IIRC the baritone switch was only connected to the neck pickup. I might be remembering wrong.

It's worn enough between the pickups that I'm concerned about having to remove too much wood to smooth it out.

Yes, the bari switch is just on the neck pickup.  Haven't found the choke that goes with it but from the bass boost it has to be in there somewhere.

"saddles have been filed (badly, slots very deep)"

I've been gradually lowering the saddles on my JS-II. The whole tail rig can be a little high, even with the bridge plate all the way down.

Thankfully I don't have that issue on my older M-85.    So I guess it's instrument specific.

I'm close.  Zero neck relief and 1.2mm, string height @ 12th fret E string.  Need to straighten the plate first and go from there.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2015, 08:12:35 AM »
You got a good deal on that one Carlo.  Just needs a little professional TLC.  I wouldn't be afraid to refin it, just careful sanding as you said.

I've been wanting one for years but the prices are silly because of Sheryl Crow.  I like my Guild RI model.  Nice neck, nice sound,  just a little neck dive, but it's nice and light to wear though. We'll see what the 76 looks like when it arrives Tuesday.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2015, 08:49:02 AM »
You got a good deal on that one Carlo.  Just needs a little professional TLC.  I wouldn't be afraid to refin it, just careful sanding as you said.

I've been wanting one for years but the prices are silly because of Sheryl Crow.  I like my Guild RI model.  Nice neck, nice sound,  just a little neck dive, but it's nice and light to wear though. We'll see what the 76 looks like when it arrives Tuesday.

There's one in marginally better shape than mine with a BIN of $1K more so I think I paid a reasonable price.

The weight is good, no neck dive, and there's a lot of tonal variation.  Even the bari switch is usable with the neck pup at 1/2 volume and bridge full on.
Look forward to your thoghts on yours.  There's a nice natural one on Reverb but the price is silly.

https://reverb.com/item/453128-guild-m-85-ii-bluesbird-bass-1976-natural?_aid=pla&pla=1&gclid=CNmKz5D1pcUCFdQ9gQodwgEA9w