Author Topic: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.  (Read 10882 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:39:25 AM »
I'm really digging my B-301, it has given me an appreciation for the brand.  So when this came up I bit:

It's a '73.  Click the pics if you want to see more.  Seems to be around 95% complete, the chesterfield inlay seems to have fallen out.  There's some honest wear but I might do a total restoration.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
Re: Incoming M-85, gaga for Guild.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:50:28 AM »
Love that model, never played it tough.......... congrats !
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
Leave it as-is Carlo... mojo's good at times... refin if you intend to move her on at some time...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:06:54 PM »
Leave it as-is Carlo... mojo's good at times... refin if you intend to move her on at some time...

I agree, Ken, mojo's good at times.  I'll give it serious thought before attempting a restoration though I'm generally inclined that way.  ROI is not a factor, I feel like I'm playing with house money.

Everything will eventually be sold or discarded.  If it works out as planned I won't be the one selling.  Apres moi... ;D

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 07:43:09 PM »
I really like that bass, looks really cool. It shows the marks of experience, including a neck re-set.  And I'd love to try playing it!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 08:38:35 PM »
Whatever you decide, at least it's honest wear and not a relic job.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 11:32:34 PM »
+1

... If it works out as planned I won't be the one selling.  Apres moi... ;D

... and quite a few decades hence, Mon Ami... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 06:54:54 AM »
You and me both Carlo.  It's on my short list as well!  Let us know how it feels and sounds.  As for refinning it, I've seen a couple that were done in a natural and they were beautiful!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 08:31:52 AM »
OH! You got that one, huh? I was watching that. Price really shot up at the end there. You're killin me man! I would love an M85, just can't justify the expenditure. I foolishly sold my '73 JS II (virtually the same bass, different body) a couple of years ago and really miss it. What's the fifth knob - master volume?

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2015, 09:03:33 AM »
Nice catch!

I also had a JSII.  Great bass, but I liked it best when it had those 70s pickups in it.  I had converted it to Darkstars at one point, sold the originals, and installed a big brass-mass sustain block bridge (made by Marko Urisn.. outwardly, it looked like a stock harp bridge with brass saddles).  I loved the bridge, but the DSs just weren't my thing so I ended up moving it to fund other GAS.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2015, 09:12:08 AM »
OH! You got that one, huh? I was watching that. Price really shot up at the end there. You're killin me man! I would love an M85, just can't justify the expenditure. I foolishly sold my '73 JS II (virtually the same bass, different body) a couple of years ago and really miss it. What's the fifth knob - master volume?

I sniped three other snipers.  Figured it would be worth at least taking a look since it can be returned if it disappoints.   5th pot is master volume, the mini switch changes phase.

You're a working man with obligations, Tom.   I'm a juvenile delinquent with money to burn.

Nice catch!

I also had a JSII.  Great bass, but I liked it best when it had those 70s pickups in it.  I had converted it to Darkstars at one point, sold the originals, and installed a big brass-mass sustain block bridge (made by Marko Urisn.. outwardly, it looked like a stock harp bridge with brass saddles).  I loved the bridge, but the DSs just weren't my thing so I ended up moving it to fund other GAS.

Thanks! Came out of Phoenix, should be here Saturday.  I dig the sound of the original pup in my buddy's '65 Starfire I so I'm really looking forward  to how it sounds.   I have a DS I got from Gary but it won't be going in this bass.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2015, 09:19:08 AM »
Beautiful bass. I had one just like yours Carlo.
But I couldn't really connect with the thing. So we parted ways  :-\

Hope you have more luck with the Guild M-85II  :)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »
You and me both Carlo.  It's on my short list as well!  Let us know how it feels and sounds.  As for refinning it, I've seen a couple that were done in a natural and they were beautiful!

There's a natural one on EBay that's in a little better condition, it led me to this one.  It has a BIN that's a few hundred more than I paid.  But it 's a 78 and has propeller tuners.  I prefer the earlier ones.  I'll definitely post pix and feelings when I get it.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 09:59:02 PM »
A couple of guys here started calling those 70s Guild pickups "sludgebuckers" but I never could understand that. I like them better than the Bisonics and way better than the Darkstars. YMMV.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 05:06:29 AM »
Way to Carlo!  I just snagged one off eBay too!  Been watching for over a year and this one was too low to pass up.  I sold the one I made and have been wanting a replacement.  I'll post pics when I get home.  This is going to be fun!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!