Author Topic: Slade Time  (Read 32422 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: Slade Time
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2010, 11:11:20 AM »
Not one of Dave's better looks.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2010, 11:15:22 AM »
Didn't he play that Romulan guy in the new ST movie...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2010, 09:31:07 AM »
Dave Hill had by far worse haircuts than this baldie look. Before and after. Generally, both his haircut- and dress-sense were unfortunate. As he once quipped to a sighing Jim Lea  :rolleyes: who felt that Dave's sartorial appearance might be to the detriment of Slade's credibility as musicians: "You writ'em (the songs) and I sell'em!".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2010, 09:35:06 AM »
Dave Hill had by far worse haircuts than this baldie look. Before and after. Generally, both his haircut- and dress-sense were unfortunate. As he once quipped to a sighing Jim Lea  :rolleyes: who felt that Dave's sartorial appearance might be to the detriment of Slade's credibility as musicians: "You writ'em (the songs) and I sell'em!".

In a much later i'view I have, according to Jim; that conversation was actually part of an argument in the Top Of The Pops studio. The sentence immediately before that one from Dave was "F**k off Jim".
Jim had been trying to show H the intro to their next single, but H was too involved in getting his pictures taken by the press, so when Jim told him to spend a bit of time on what they actually did for a living he got that reply.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2010, 10:30:51 AM »
The truth is: It probably did hurt them. If they had just worn denims and knuckled down to it in working man's fashion a là Quo they might have had a few less Top of the Pops appearances and hence hit singles, but more appealed to the serious rock crowd and album buying public plus fetched some better opening slots on large scale tours in markets they did not yet rule with their singles output. And I think it would have benefitted their US career too, never a country to embrace glam except in that mutated larger-than-life version of Alice Cooper/Kiss. You could look unremarkable and still crack the US market as Foghat have amply proven.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 07:41:10 AM »
Way to ressurrect an old thread; this old footage of Slade on American Bandstand in '84 may interest some of you guys. It's just been "refound".

When they did come back to tour later that year Jim was struck down with hepatitis, they had to pull the rest of the gigs & they never toured ever again.  :sad:

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2011, 07:54:50 AM »
Stu, thanks for posting that! Jimmy with a rented Fender ugh! I remember waiting in great anticipation for that tour and was crushed when it was canceled. Old look who's talking Dick !
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 12:14:33 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2011, 02:13:03 PM »
how do know it's rented. he might have owned many fenders, like you... :)
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 04:54:53 AM »
how do know it's rented. he might have owned many fenders, like you... :)
He may have but Slade rented gear for lots of TV performances. Jim had two main basses during Slades time that I know of. First was his '65 EB3, originally cherry it was eventually painted white by John Birch and fitted with John Birch pickups and a onboard distortion circuit. The EB3 was Stolen from John Birches work shop and Birch supplied Jim with a new JB bass based on his stolen EB3. Here is a pic of Jimmy with his JB and my JD (built by John Diggens of Jaydee guitars, JD built Jim's original JB while employed at Birch in the 70's). I bet Stu can give use more detail into Jim's arsenal.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 05:42:42 AM »
I bet Stu can give use more detail into Jim's arsenal.

Funny you should say that Scott.  ;D I had an i'view from the early 80's, couple of years prior to that AB film. He said he didn't like Fenders at all, one of his reasons being that the E & A are too fat in sound & the D & G were too thin, another being that the body shape was too big & too common (widespread - popular??)
He's said that he used a Gibson V bass in the studio, but live from the late 70's right thru to the last gig it was the JB/JD's like Scotts' that he used exclusively live. There are pics of a couple of gigs in the late 70's where he used a John Birch J2 bass, with the same sunburst colour-scheme, I'm guessing that was because his main bass was in for work.
THIS being a J2 bass
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JOHN-BIRCH-GUITAR-/270791371883?pt=UK_Music_SheetMusic_RL&hash=item3f0c6c6c6b

(no relation to the seller whatsoever)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2011, 11:43:35 AM »
"Gibson V bass" as in "five string Clark Kent look bass with TBird pups and sound" or as in Flying V?  :o :o :o

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »
Flying V, he was in his heavy-metal phase at the time.

Another film of Jim with a rented Fender......... I used to have a poster of this session on my wall when I was a kid ................ (last week  ;D )

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2011, 02:15:42 AM »
Probably his Ibanez Flying V then, certainly a preferable tool to the Gibson "V" Bass though still hardly a great bass by Ibanez standards, bit mushy.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2011, 04:00:13 AM »
If the interview was from the early 80s, it probably was the Gibson - that thing seems to have fooled everybody into thinking it was a good idea, myself included. It didn't take long for the awful truth to become apparent though...
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2011, 09:26:14 AM »
Beauty's only fin-deep ...

Yet I heard both from Scott and at Messe Frankfurt that they want to resurrect it sometime this year. Some radical re-engineering appreciated guys!!!