Author Topic: Slade Time  (Read 32343 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Slade Time
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 10:31:15 PM »
 I had "Slayed" by the time I saw them on "In Concert"  '74, a buddy in high school put me onto them, I just couldn't play that record enough......Drove my parents nuts with it! every afternoon I'd get home from school and put that on my cheesy record player. My first bass was a Japanese EB copy, I wanted because it was like Jim Lea's Gibson, lets just say I *tried* to play like him  :-[. I still own that copy of "Slayed" , it damn near turned it white its been played so much. They're just so cool.........Scott I'll never get tired of seeing pics of that bass, positively incredible!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:14:39 AM by TBird1958 »
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Parents & Slade
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2008, 08:28:31 AM »
Sensibly, Herr Geiger, your parents must have been worried that the, errrm, "dress sense" of Messrs Holder and Hill (Lea and the drummer always looked alright) might rub off in the wrong way on you.

And how prophetic your old folks were!   ;)

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2008, 08:39:45 AM »

I remember my very sensible mom's comment upon seeing the album cover, "Oh they're so ugly! especially him!" (pointing at Dave Hill)  At that point in time I was constantly fighting a battle with her to just let me have long hair like my rock star idols, the "Slayed" album cover didn't help my cause much  :'(  Funny thing was they didn't find out about my girly side until about 10years ago......Too late by then!  ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 08:42:11 PM »
 Mark,  Happy you like the pics of the bass! Hell it makes me happy to ! Way back when Jim had a red silk suit,more like polyester. I had my mom take me "downtown " to find such a suit, we did but there was no way she would spring for the cost !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

rockinrayduke

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »
I've wanted an EB-3 forever because of JL and Jack Bruce. Well, and Andy Fraser.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:25 PM »
It's been a long time since I was on this board, so I've been having a nosey around ........... hope you don't mind.

Scott I'll never get tired of seeing pics of that bass, positively incredible!

There is one other with the onboard overdrive; Jim's got two, Scott's got one, and ...........  :mrgreen:

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 10:18:08 PM »
Guilty as charged yer honor. Slade fan from way back. have managed to convert (buy new) my original 4 Slade LP's to CD and pick up a couple more in the meantime over the last couple of years. Never get sick of listening to Jims songwriting and bass playing.
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2010, 05:17:43 AM »
It's been a long time since I was on this board, so I've been having a nosey around ........... hope you don't mind.

There is one other with the onboard overdrive; Jim's got two, Scott's got one, and ...........  :mrgreen:

Stu, Why don't you go ahead and show us a few pictures ? Stu is the one who directed me to John Diggens of Jaydee to get mine built. Stu is a wealth of Slade info !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 06:38:24 AM »
Stu, Why don't you go ahead and show us a few pictures ? Stu is the one who directed me to John Diggens of Jaydee to get mine built. Stu is a wealth of Slade info !

;D One of the best times was while getting hold of Scott's Hiwatt 201 (which used to belong to Dave H Hill of Slade) I was able to have a long chat with H about how Slade used their amps, he also signed a personalised provenance for Scott's Hiwatt. I'll get to that if anyone is interested? In the meantime; my bass with Noddy old Hiwatt 201 & Jimmy Lea's psare Hiwatt cab for when they did bigger gigs ..... (They usually stand on a Marshall 2 x15 with Eminence Deltas, but that's not Slade related.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 06:46:35 AM »
Slade playing Reading Festival 1980, late stand-ins for Ozzy Osbourne.

Jim is using his extra cab  :mrgreen:
Just count those Hiwatts man, I'm guessing it's more than The Who used to use? Many was the time I helped their crew load all this stuff into the smallest of venues, their sound guy "Charlie" would get quite upset if hew couldn't use all of the amps if space was tight.
Jim's also still using one of his old Accoustic 360's with the active cab thing over the bass bin. There's another cab underneath the stack of Hiwatts he has.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2010, 06:48:14 AM »
I bought Lea's Therapy album a couple pf years back, but it has now been rereleased with a bonus disc of his solitary 2002 live gig where he sang and played lead guitar (sic!) in a three piece doing his own material, Slade chestnuts, Hendrix tunes, Sex Pistols, James Brown etc. Which sounds like a mixed bag and it is, but they manage to put their stamp on everything and Jim's voice is tuneful, his lead guitar playing edgy.

Scott, I know you have (or need!) Therapy, but do you have the recording of that gig as well?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2010, 06:51:48 AM »
Ah Jim Jam at the Robin ! Stu was there ! No I do not have that.  Yes I do need Therapy and yes I have it ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2010, 07:49:12 AM »
In that case I think I will ignore Jim's copyright for once (with over a dozen Slade CDs, he's made enough money off me) and send you a CDR of Jim Jam. Entertaining listening.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:52 AM »
Ah Jim Jam at the Robin ! Stu was there !

If you listen to his long spoken intro before his altered version of Merry Christmas, he threatens to "break the neck" of one of the crowd, that was me he was threatening, though I wasn't aware of it at the time.  :o

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
Was that when you were trying to nick the set list ? ;D