Author Topic: Slade Time  (Read 32347 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Slade Time
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2011, 08:44:21 AM »
Nibble, nibble.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 23, 2011, 09:13:39 AM »
I wish they would do a one-off reunion, Mott the Hoople style, I'd even come to London for that. Lea and Holder live off royalties, the other two have to tour until they drop dead, a common fate among rock bands where the writing credits are not split equal.
A current & oft repeated hot topic among Slade fans. H had a stroke last year, Don has been ill in recent years too, it can't be fun anymore.
The reunion will never happen, there's little interest among the original four of them, & IMHO and that of others the real reason Nod quit was because his voice was shot, though it's hardly surprising.

Dave in his stocking feet,  he's how tall?
Looks like he'd come up to my navel  ;D
Five foot two, which explains his 1970's six inch platform boots.......... which he fell off in 1972 & broke his ankle!  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:33 AM »
I'd forgive them some downtuning. He couldn't sound any worse or more shot than David Coverdale sounds today.

But of course that style of singing - be it Tom Keifer, Dan McCafferty, Axel Rose, Vince Neil or Noddy Holder - takes its toll on your vocal chords if you tour heavily. Brian Johnson is pretty much the only pure "screecher" I can think of who manages to sustain a type of singing credibly that to all intents and purposes mistreats your voice.

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:13 PM »
Hmmm, I've been front & centre at a few Nazareth gigs in recent years & how the heck he still does that years later & still sound (to my ears) the same as when I saw them in '76 is beyond me. The band? maybe not, but Dan is the maaaan.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NazarethTV?blend=7&ob=5#p/u/3/pP5CyD2I31o

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 23, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
I'd forgive them some downtuning. He couldn't sound any worse or more shot than David Coverdale sounds today.

But of course that style of singing - be it Tom Keifer, Dan McCafferty, Axel Rose, Vince Neil or Noddy Holder - takes its toll on your vocal chords if you tour heavily. Brian Johnson is pretty much the only pure "screecher" I can think of who manages to sustain a type of singing credibly that to all intents and purposes mistreats your voice.

Jimmy Barnes is another to add to the list of aging screechers who can still do it.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2011, 05:26:27 PM »
I saw McCafferty solo ("Classic meets Rock") early this year. He played the Naz chestnuts with orchestral backing, so his voice was vulnerably naked. He was straining (though nothing near as bad as Coverdale), but it might have been an off-night for him. I like the guy and the band though Manny Charlton's terse playing and penchant for little lead melodies is sorely missed. McCafferty sings on the new Roger Glover album too, but I haven't heard it yet. To this day I love his version of the Zim's Boots of Spanish Leather on his midseventies solo debut (featuring Roger Glover on bass).
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:45:57 AM by uwe »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2011, 05:50:45 PM »

I still remember seeing Nazareth, I deliberatly sat on Pete Agnew's side of the stage - IIRC he used 3 Marshall stacks and an EB. Gibson bass heaven.

A buddy sent me this shot of the Paramount in Seattle the day we went, a local band, Child opened for them, their bassist used a T Bird.......

Not my Pinto out front!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2011, 09:46:37 PM »
I saw Nazareth at the Town and Country in North London back in the early 90's. A chance that this Aussie never thought he'd get. Great show. I had Hair of the dog on remastered CD and last week I picked up Razamanaz. Unfortunately I've been waiting nearly 4 weeks for Fool Circle to arrive from the UK. I think this might be a fail. I have all of these on LP plus Malice In Wonderland and Loud 'N' Proud but have been wanting to replace them to CD for ages.
Digresion our specialty!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2011, 02:47:24 AM »
Found it!

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2011, 05:07:34 AM »
Brilliant album cover

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2011, 05:12:34 AM »
Indeed, it might account for the relatively unspectacular sales of this album at the time ... As regards visuals, Nazareth's nous was often a little shaky.