Author Topic: Slade Time  (Read 32345 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Re: Slade Time
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 08:14:13 AM »

:o

Holy Crap! Look at that backline!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 08:57:58 AM »
Was that when you were trying to nick the set list ? ;D

Yeah  :mrgreen: Well, that's what Jimmy said, but I was really helping his tech hold down a lyrics sheet on the stage at his feet while he tried to untangle his hands from Gaffer tape.
Though I did rob the sheet after the gig had finished. It was the same night that they had the auction for Nod's Hiwatts. Nomis got a cab for £70!!!!  :o

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »

And they were serious about it too. My first experience of Slade live was a late seventies gig in a small hall - well after their first commercial prime and not yet in their second, but well-honed from all that incessant US touring they did in the late seventies in a vain attempt to crack the former colony - and they were so unbelievably loud that after the PA lit up when Noddy sang "hear me calling loud" (the TYA tune) a guy in front of the pa speakers had instant nose bleed. Happy days!

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »

See where I get it from ?
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 01:45:56 PM »
And they were serious about it too. My first experience of Slade live was a late seventies gig in a small hall - well after their first commercial prime and not yet in their second.
Uwe

It was the same set that they played at Reading, they were such last minute replacements that they hadn't time to rehearse anything else, and they were widely seen by the media as the best act of that year. There were many Slade fans in the UK handing out a whole lot of "I told you so" that year!  ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 01:51:53 PM »

Yup!

Impeccable taste sir!
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 03:06:31 PM »
Scott, did I do you a bootleg CD of the Lochem gig, "Lochem Up Your Daughters"? It's very similar set but better quality than the Reading bootleg.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 05:03:32 AM »

That picture is now my wall paper  ;D My madness is clear, A picture of my rig with the recently aquired Hiwatt 2050 2x15 cab, photo shopped by Kenny into my rig with a extra DR201.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:47:27 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 07:51:38 AM »

:sad:

I'm suffering "rig envy"

Obviously size does matter  ;)

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 03:07:41 AM »
Just found this old-ish pic from JayDee of Jim with his JD built for the 1983 tour but never used on stage. Though he did let me have a brief go on it after the Glasgow gig on that tour.
He asked "Bet you've never seen a bass with a wang-bar before?", to which I disappointed him by answering "Actually there was one in last week's Melody Maker".

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 05:06:13 AM »
What the hell are those pups?
Digresion our specialty!

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 06:04:19 AM »
What the hell are those pups?

Wood shell pups, adjusted from the back.
http://www.jaydeeguitars.com/classic.php

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2010, 03:27:04 PM »
Jimmy Lea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thanks Jules.  Bass look familiar ?    If all goes well I''ll have a Hiwatt DR201 frome SLADE's backline at the end of the month Keeping my fingers crossed !

Is that yours???!
Fleet Guitars

Big_Stu

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2010, 10:37:36 AM »
Just found this pic on an old hard drive which is Slade back in 1977 after getting equipped all round by John Birch. Jim has the original version of his bass which went back into Birch's a year later for a lighter refin & to get rid of the switched pot next to the overdrive. The Magnum pups were switched to Superflux's to get more high end out of it when soloing.

It came back looking identical to Scott's.

Dave "J1" had fart oo many knobs for sanity, one of them was an onboard treble booster, I think the other one was a sustain.
Nod has a 1961 SG Junior with a John Birch Magnum & JB bridge. It was stolen off him 3 years later after a gig.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2010, 10:59:45 AM »

Dave Hill really knew how to "class up" a photo   ;D