Author Topic: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had  (Read 18009 times)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »
My favorite T-birds of all time are the 61-63 models that look like rockets from the side.  LOVED that look!!

Not mine - wish it were....

I was working in Des Plaines, IL during the '80s, near an iron works company on Lee St.  The back lot of the building had probably 30 or more of those cars in various stages of decay/repair.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
Me too George!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Bargeon

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 06:05:07 AM »

Anyone remember the Studebaker Avanti?  They had a limied run but way ahead of their time.
I've wanted one since 1963

First American car with front disk breaks!

Dyslexics untie!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2012, 06:10:29 AM »
Hey gearhead, I love my 08 GT.  it's stock, but I might add a few things over time.  Yours look really sweet.

The Avanti, I was in love with those when they came out.  I was also very fond of Austin Healey 3000s, but I was too tall and large to fit in one behind the wheel!

Anyone remember the AMC Javelin?  It was their answer to the Mustang pony cars.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »
the javelin with the 390 motor was a hot little car. unfortunately it could never overcome the 'rambler' connection.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2012, 06:47:10 AM »
Anyone remember the Studebaker Avanti?  They had a limied run but way ahead of their time.
I've wanted one since 1963

First American car with front disk breaks!

I love the Avanti II!  The original Avanti, if I recall, had issues with the fiberglass body panels warping.  The Avanti II was built on a cart, and then each one test driven to work out any rattles. I remember one review stating that they were a better car than a Mercedes for the money.  You can still find nice ones for under $10K.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
I love the Avanti II!  The original Avanti, if I recall, had issues with the fiberglass body panels warping.  The Avanti II was built on a cart, and then each one test driven to work out any rattles. I remember one review stating that they were a better car than a Mercedes for the money.  You can still find nice ones for under $10K.

The biggest problem with the original Avanti was that it was too little, too late to save Studebaker. The corporation did better after discontinuing auto production. Sad but true.

The Avanti II was built by a company started by a South Bend Studebaker dealer. It used some of the original components and GM engines. The company existed in South Bend until sometime in the 80s, then there were several changes in ownership and things got murky.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:44 AM »
Hey gearhead, I love my 08 GT.  it's stock, but I might add a few things over time.  Yours look really sweet.

The Avanti, I was in love with those when they came out.  I was also very fond of Austin Healey 3000s, but I was too tall and large to fit in one behind the wheel!

Anyone remember the AMC Javelin?  It was their answer to the Mustang pony cars.

If you do anything, I recommend lowering. It just looks so much better, besides the handling advantages. It's a subtle, but definitely noticeable change. Guys in stock Stangs look at it like "WHAT is different about that one???"

My friends older bro had a green AMX - the shortened version of the Javelin. Very cool! I loved growing up in the 70s...

(my friends brother was WAY cooler looking than THAT guy...)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 08:58:11 AM »

The Avanti...................

It was originally designed by Raymond Lowey, very famous for his work with the Pennysylvania Railroad. One of my all time fave Locomotives is the T-1, as concieved by the the PRR it was a hulking ugly monstrosity he made it into this.........

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 09:29:38 AM »
That train looks sleek!

The Avanti dash reminded me of the upholstery days again... I briefly worked a summer job at an upholstery shop, and they had a Kaiser Frazer DeLuxe that we redid *completely* in black vinyl tuck&roll.  Seats.. dash.. visors... everything.  Quite a sight!  An old Kustom rig would have been right at home in the trunk of that thing!

On the topic of AMC, another one that I liked (besides the Javelin/AMX) was the Marlin:

My only AMC was an '80 Spirit (the stubby Gremlin-shaped one)  ;D.  It was a real beater.  I've had my share of barely-roadworthy vehicles over the years- powder blue Ford Fairmont wagon, bright orange Mercury Lynx, Peugeot 505 (white, but didn't help much..), Nova (the fugly Corolla-based one)... lots to contribute if there is ever a "most embarrassing vehicle you've owned" thread!

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 10:15:36 AM »
If you do anything, I recommend lowering. It just looks so much better, besides the handling advantages. It's a subtle, but definitely noticeable change. Guys in stock Stangs look at it like "WHAT is different about that one???"

How did you lower yours?  Oops, I went back an reread your post.  I see.  Where did you get your springs?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:12:51 AM by drbassman »

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2012, 10:48:59 AM »
It was originally designed by Raymond Lowey, very famous for his work with the Pennysylvania Railroad. One of my all time fave Locomotives is the T-1, as concieved by the the PRR it was a hulking ugly monstrosity he made it into this.........

My bio dad worked for Loewy after graduating Art Center and designed the sleeping quarters for Skylab. Before that he worked for Caroll Shelby. One of the things that we bonded over when we met was a love of cars.

When I was a kid I had a friend whose dad was a hot rod and drag racing guy. Those Avanti's were always well represented at the various car shows and rod runs we went to in SoCal. Actually, most of the older cars in this thread were! Good times...  ;)

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2012, 10:56:23 AM »
The biggest problem with the original Avanti was that it was too little, too late to save Studebaker. The corporation did better after discontinuing auto production. Sad but true.

The Avanti II was built by a company started by a South Bend Studebaker dealer. It used some of the original components and GM engines. The company existed in South Bend until sometime in the 80s, then there were several changes in ownership and things got murky.

I recall that the chassis was very similar to a Vette with a 327(?) engine? 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avanti_cars_(non-Studebaker)

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 12:08:49 PM »
Is that Paul Revere & the Raiders?!
Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.