Author Topic: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had  (Read 17977 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 04:57:29 AM »
I'm a bit depressed because the ZX is turning into a long-term project.  The turbo will have to come out to get the manifolds out, and today I was able to finally reach the broken exhaust stud - it appears to be broken off flush with or slightly inside the head. Chances that I can drill and EZ-Out that stud are minimal, and I will have to get the manifolds off to fully evaluate it.  I definitely don't want to mess up the threads in the head where that stud screws in.

There's a good chance I'm going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop, which considerably ups the ante on the work to be done.  I guess I'll take the opportunity to have the valves done and get new seals on the valve stems.  I suspect I'm not going to be driving it for a few months...I don't have much time to work on it.

A vintage car is a lot of fun, but the maintenance never ends!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 06:20:01 AM »
Is that the cars, or a euphemism for us lot...? ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 07:40:32 AM »
A vintage car is a lot of fun, but the maintenance never ends!

Tell me about it!  I had my Merc over 20 years ago.  Just think of the difficulty in trying to find a replacement carburetor for a one-year engine.  The good news then was that Holly would rebuild parts kits to order every once in a while.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 07:57:18 AM »

that's ian wallace from king crimson on drums.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 08:05:41 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
Is that the cars, or a euphemism for us lot...? ;)

Yep, we vintage bass players need a lot of care and feeding!  Not to mention leaks....... :o

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 11:30:33 AM »

Me in a past life, with a past love............

This really was a great car to drive on the highway, almost like bringing me living room with me. My ex-wife and our Scottie dog could all ride in the front seat together at 75-80mph it felt really good...........You just didn't want to come up on a corner that fast!
Alas, I'm not a car guy and it wanting work and occasionally had to come home with the help of a tow truck, I don't regret letting it go.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 11:42:34 AM »

Me in a past life, with a past love............

This really was a great car to drive on the highway, almost like bringing me living room with me. My ex-wife and our Scottie dog could all ride in the front seat together at 75-80mph it felt really good...........You just didn't want to come up on a corner that fast!
Alas, I'm not a car guy and it wanting work and occasionally had to come home with the help of a tow truck, I don't regret letting it go.

We used to call those big boats "the Queen Mary."   ;D

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:51:00 AM »

From the outside it was a pretty fine '69  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 11:56:06 AM »
Those were really comfy cruisers - biggest problem was they had as many pipes and connections as today's cars with less reliability.

I have called them both "land yachts" and "many-doored motin'gators".

I knew there was a cool car in your past, Mark.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 11:57:43 AM »
69 Coupe is a whole lotta car, Mark!

I've had a few land yachts in my time.  Favorites were an XR7 identical to John's except white, and I think my largest vehicle might have been a 72 Riviera.  Had that when I was about 20-21, living in a not-so-great part of town, and was doing custom auto upholstery out of my home garage.  Used to wire up the hydraulic systems for the locals too.  

I guess this is what you call a hot-rod in South Tucson  ;D

I gutted the interior and built a bat-wing-shaped dash, swivel seats, and wrap around love seat in the back.  Had a Kahula bottle lamp built into the center console (cops loved that!) and a chandelier in the roof - "Duke of New York" style  ;D

It had a titanium skid plate welded under the front crossmember.  I'd dump the front end at about 20mph and light up the whole boulevard!

Thinking back on these days, I'm amazed I'm still here

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 12:06:04 PM »

Awesome Riv Joe!

I LOVE IT!

I almost can't comprehend owning such a car these days, that sure must have cool  ;D

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
that sure must have cool  ;D

It did garner a lot of attention!  Some good, and some very bad.  I did enjoy doing the customization work, though, and at one time wanted to formally start a business doing that.. but there was so much else that went along with that whole scene that I decided I should move on.

Found a crappy old pic of the Citroen.  This was my second attempt at auto-body, about eight years after the Riv.

Speaking of Buicks, I still have this one.. a 1938 Series 41 Business Coupe.  This has been in my family since 1963.  It came out of Tombstone, AZ, where my Grandfather had traded a Corvair Greenbriar van for it.  This, and a 36 Ford Cabrio started his business ..and he's still going strong- in his 80s now.  He very generously titled this one to me when I turned 16.  Finally had space for it when we got our current place in 2003, and we trailered it up:

It has just under 30K original miles, only one recent repaint, and original broadcloth and mohair interior.  I had been  taking it out a bit for a while there, but then went back to school for a few years and didn't have much time for it.  Its been sitting since.  Need to get out there and flush all the fluids, gas tank, etc... and get it going again.  Honestly, I just haven't been real motivated to keep up with it given the time and cost, but I'll get to it one of these days.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 01:23:16 PM »
Wow, love the Bat Buick!  The old 39 is very cool, too.  Forgot to mention that love Herbie's "Hippie" van.  Very cool for sure!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 02:28:57 PM by drbassman »

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

I'd love to have my pic taken with that Buick!

The '73 was my Mom's car for many years, Jackie our singer owns it now.......

She also owns this 1940 GMC 6x6 which she drives occasionally - It went overseas to Norway and returned home postwar

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 01:38:58 PM »
Guess I gotta fire up the scanner...