Author Topic: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had  (Read 17980 times)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had
« on: July 28, 2012, 08:44:13 AM »
OK, some of us highjacked the Mustang thread over in the Fender sub forum.  So, I thought it would be fun to do a thread on cars since we haven't talked cars recently.

Here's my two current "loves."  I love the GT to death (4.6 l of rip roaring fun) and the 912 is a kick to drive, but very temper-mental.  Constantly fighting oil leaks.

What I wish I had in my garage..........

Corvette C2 Stingray Fastback

1957 Thunderbird Convertible!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Re: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
I love cars, but have never been a big gear head.  I did own this for a couple years.  It was a fun car, but I had to sell it to help buy a house when my second child was coming.  The '54 Mercury was a one year car - the first year of the overhead V8, and was completely re-engineered for '55.  I learned a little about my car, which had leather interior that was in remarkable shape.  The color is wrong.  It's a correct color, Lakeland Blue, but the '54 was always a two-tone. This color was probably more for a '53.  The hubcaps are from a '55.  The '54 hubcaps had a red center.

I drove one of the newer Mustangs, and I actually hated the feel.  Maybe it's my years of driving nice, suburban cars and wrecks.  A friend of mine has a '58 Vette, one of the only three Purple People Eaters in existence.  You can find info on two of them online.  The third is my friend's.  It's been in his family since day one.

Fantasy cars?  I always loved this one.  It's not your granddaddy's Buick.

Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
Although it's in the garage with the intake and exhaust manifolds off, here's my 1983 280ZX Turbo, bought in 1990 with 49K miles, now with about 126K miles.  it's the fourth Datsun Z-car I have owned; I've had a 1970 240Z, 1976 280Z, a 1982 280ZX and this 83 ZX Turbo.  I love the way these cars are balanced, and on a twisty road, I can "dance" with this car just by using the gears and throttle.  It's stock with the exception of Tokico shocks and a replacement radio, because the original radio had no AM reception to speak of.  This was the last year for Datsun badging in the US - the 1984 300ZX said "Datsun by Nissan" on the hatch.

The radio as currently installed:

Last year I sold my 1958 Fiat Spyder, which I received as my high school graduation present in in 1968 - it needed the restoration finished and I didn't have time to do it.  Here's a shot of what it looked like in its original form (not the same car, but you get an idea of how pretty it was...)

Here's mine in primer in the garage...just before I sold it.

Here's a '66 GTO identical to the one I used to own...and would LOVE to have another!!

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »
cool merc, gary. if i had a dream car it would be a 1950 mercury with full 50's custom treatment. kinda' like these here.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1950+merc+custom&qpvt=1950+merc+custom&FORM=IGRE
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 09:50:56 AM »
cool merc, gary. if i had a dream car it would be a 1950 mercury with full 50's custom treatment. kinda' like these here.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=1950+merc+custom&qpvt=1950+merc+custom&FORM=IGRE

My favorite look for a car!

@Pilgrim - my old singer/guitarist is a HUGE 280Z fan.  He's had a few of them, and I think he might still have one.  He sold a Vette and kept a 280Z.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
George, my GT is an 08 and I liked it better than the 2011's I drove.  It is tight and corners so well, I'm very happy with it.  It has an older feel ride to me.  BTW, I like that Merc.  I would love to have a 49 ford coupe.  The year I was born!

Love that Z Al!  That Fiat was too funky for words.  I won't restore a foreign car again.  The parts hassle is a real pain.  If I do another, it wil be US made.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:20:35 AM by drbassman »

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:28:35 AM »

Wow, some of those were unreal!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:38:13 AM »
Cars I've owned that have been the biggest head turners:

'68 Corvette.  NOT A STINGRAY.  By 'popular demand' from '69 on GM stuck Stingray badges back on them.

'94 300ZX, 190k, still going strong

'06 350Z JWT twin turbo.  Making a west coast run this fall.

ack1961

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:03:43 AM »
My dream ride is now in my garage:

Have Fun.  Be Nice.  Mean People Suck.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
Great thread, and beautiful cars (and bike)!!  I love that GT and 912, Doc.  I had a chance to go to a driving school here years ago, and the GTs and Cobras they had there were a blast!  Also got to drive the formula Fords on the final day. 8)  This was me in the "skid car":

Weirdest car I've ever restored was one of the big Citroen DS sedans.  Did a lot of mechanical restoration, resurfaced the fiberglass top, and prepped/painted the entire car.  Would have liked to keep it, but its one of those vehicles you really have to stay on top of.  Little problems become big problems fast.  I had to gut and rebuild most of the hydraulic system, which ran on fluid similar to DOT3 brake fluid (absorbs moisture and corrodes everything it contacts if neglected).  It had an early take on the active suspension, and would self-correct when the car banks or nose-dives during braking (...and it was fun freaking out passengers when flying over a speedbump without slowing - you feel nothing!).  I really wanted the Maserati-powered SM from the early 70s - but I'm not that much of a masochist!

Last year I replaced my daily-driver with a 76 Datsun Z car!  I work from my home office a lot and don't have to sit in the gridlock much these days, and so I thought I'd get something fun.  I really wanted a 240, but ya still have to run them through emissions here in Arizona, and I didn't want to have to be dorking around with the carbs all the time.  The 280Z has the 2.8L straight six with Bosch L-Jetronic fuel injection.  A previous owner had swapped the tranny to a Borg T5, installed Tokico springs, and added a nice free-flow exhaust (6-1 header, 3" pipe, performance resonator, and a Supertrapp on the end).  Has a nice menacing rumble, and not too drone-y or obnoxious higher rpms.  

It supposedly has 76K miles on it.  Can't verify that, but it certainly looks it..  So far, I've only had to replace the howling fuel pump (found a NOS unit on Ebay) and hoses, fix an air/fuel mix problem (just a bad connection on cold start valve), and replace the evap coil and expansion vavle to get the a/c working again.  That was a big ordeal- had our mechanic tackle that one!  At some point here soon, I'm going to order a new weatherstripping kit and replace all of the seals.  When I got it, it REEKED of (what I thought was) exhaust in the interior, but turned out to be gas  :o.  Some knucklehead had used the wrong diameter hose on the high pressure fuel line coming out of the pump and simply clamped it down to try and compensate.  It was weeping gas, but not enough to create a puddle under the car.  Fixed all that right, and threw a fire extinguisher inside for good measure.

Haven't had this much fun driving into the office in a looooooog time!  ;D

...and here's my fav pic- gigmobile!   Everything actually fits!  ;D

Dream car?  If I were to treat myself to something, I think I'd try a Lotus Elise - the "Federal" version with the supercharged Toyota ZZ mill.  Best of both worlds - handbuilt English sportscar with a Japanese drivetrain.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:28:53 AM by chromium »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 11:32:29 AM »

I got nothing............

You guys have some great cars.

I just have my Subie, still running nice at 200k now. Not fast, boxy, and probably not so pretty to most folks.

Here, at Lk. Crescent.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 01:31:07 PM »
I'm always impressed just how dent-free it is given that a chick rides it all the time!  :mrgreen:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
I'm a bit depressed because the ZX is turning into a long-term project.  The turbo will have to come out to get the manifolds out, and today I was able to finally reach the broken exhaust stud - it appears to be broken off flush with or slightly inside the head. Chances that I can drill and EZ-Out that stud are minimal, and I will have to get the manifolds off to fully evaluate it.  I definitely don't want to mess up the threads in the head where that stud screws in.

There's a good chance I'm going to have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop, which considerably ups the ante on the work to be done.  I guess I'll take the opportunity to have the valves done and get new seals on the valve stems.  I suspect I'm not going to be driving it for a few months...I don't have much time to work on it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 03:53:41 AM »
I must have some issues... :mrgreen:

Present (home) vehicle is a very functional Zafira...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 03:55:40 AM »
I have owned a lot of Favorites

82 Alfa Spider was one of the most reliable cars I owned and a blast to drive, lots of rowing through the gears-

I had a car like this in high school, 73 Cougar XR7, but in bright Ford Blue with a 351 Cleveland V-8. Great car, but became a rust bucket .

I don't Know if I have a Dream Car, but probably a resto modded Vintage muscle car, Like a Plymouth 71 Satellite, early 50's 2 door Cadillac or a 72 Mustang, like Chip Foose does.