Author Topic: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had  (Read 17979 times)

lowend1

• View Profile
Re: Current cars we love and "dream cars" we wish we had
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 03:03:49 PM »
Had this since '86 - every year I do a little something on it... but it will never be done.

I bought it as a daily driver so I could tweak this:

Got a bunch of trophies with it, and had tons of fun, but ultimately I had to save money for a house and needed to lose one of them. The Chrysler 300 had the bigger motor, handled better and had A/C, so the 'runner got sold.
Dream Car? So many Mopars, so little time (money, space) - but here's a couple...
1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »
I don't have any photos of it, but my favorite car may have been a '67 Plymouth Belvedere I had in the mid '80s.  Mine was the silver/black model, similar to the picture, with standard rims.

I had a lot of junk cars, with a few good ones in there.  When I got laid up in my accident in '81, my car was a '65 Coupe De Ville.  I paid $250 for it from football square card winnings.  I've always had a soft spot for the Olds 98 models.  I've had 3 of them.  Even the beaters rode like a dream at 80 mph.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »
i had a black 68 roadrunner. looked like a cop car. my first car was a 55 chevy rat rod. gray primer, modified small block chevy, rolled and pleated interior, sw gauges, hurst shifter, no front bumper, mag wheels blah blah blah...
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 08:06:39 PM »
Great pic with the 73 Camaro, Mark!  That's another fav of mine, and cool backdrop with that mural.  Always been a big sucker for the fastbacks  8).

Love those Mopars too!

Here's my boys with their Great-Grandad's 62 300H

This is how we usually find him when we go visit:

Always some great rides at his place.  I dug out some pr0n pics that I've shot during past visits.  Thought you all might like 'em - dream cars galore!  If there's one thing I've learned from him, it's keep doing what you love... and retirement means: do even more of it!

1971 Moskvich  ;D

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
Oh....MY!!!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 08:11:08 PM »
Wow!  :o

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »

That is really something!

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 03:55:31 AM »
Holy crap, what a collection.  I'd kill for the red 55 T-Bird!  I love the Chrysler products too,  that's all my grandpa every drove.  My Dad was a Ford man and VW man.  Go figure!!!

My first car:  1959 VW Bug in battleship gray.  Learn to drive a stick in it!  And use a reserve gas tank!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 06:36:55 AM »
Holy crap, what a collection.  I'd kill for the red 55 T-Bird!  I love the Chrysler products too,  that's all my grandpa every drove.  My Dad was a Ford man and VW man.  Go figure!!!

My first car:  1959 VW Bug in battleship gray.  Learn to drive a stick in it!  And use a reserve gas tank!

I should mention that my ex-FIL had a few T-birds.  His father was the president of the Thunderbird Club of Chicago.  My ex-FIL inherited a PAIR of '57 convertibles, which he sold.  In the '80s, he got into car collecting for a hobby.  He started with:
'55 Thunderbird (yes, it was RED)
'56 Olds Rocket 88
'61 Cadillac Eldorado
'61 Chevy Impala SS (my favorite)
'62 Chevy Impala SS (which I stored and watched it leak tranny fluid all over my garage)

There were a few others in there, too.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 08:00:14 AM »
Had this since '86 - every year I do a little something on it... but it will never be done.

1970 Plymouth Sport Fury GT

I like that 300 though I don't think I've seen one like it. The Cordoba body style with the crosshair grill like on the later Miradas looks great. The police wheels help too!
And yeah, I'd love to have a Sport Fury GT. Some guy over on a C body board I used to be on had one with a 440 6-pack. Stupid rare!
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:26 AM »

A revolving collection of sorts!  All of those have come and gone, with exception of that 36 Ford (...and the Moskvich- not even sure that has paperwork  ;D)

One of my favorites that came through there was a black 62 Thunderbird with the retractable top.  That thing just looked evil, and I got a kick out of the over-ambitious engineering- the whole hydraulic contraption for the top/trunk, and the steering wheel that would slide over to the center of the car when you want to exit.

(a pic of the top mechanism from a '65)

My first car was also a Beetle- a 72.  I still have a weak spot for the air cooled VWs.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 08:38:03 AM »
wow, i didn't know about the sport fury 6 pack. apparently only 64 were made. rare, indeed.

http://www.streetlegaltv.com/features/muscle-cars-you-should-know-70-plymouth-sport-fury-gt-440-6/

wonder what gears the rear end had. my 68 roadrunner was the standard 3.23. next up was a 3.90 and the 4.10 posi unit that the six pack roadrunner and super bee used. i raced a friends 69 six pack road runner and lost by a couple of car lengths. i was happy because i had expected a slaughter. :) a lower gear would have helped me alot.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:49:57 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »
My favorite T-birds of all time are the 61-63 models that look like rockets from the side.  LOVED that look!!

Not mine - wish it were....

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
Well, I have to say - 4 1/2 years into it, and I'm still not bored with my '08 Mustang GT. I would love to have the new 5.0 motor and newer interior, but I think these looked best before they updated the body in '10.

Considering their weight, these cars are known to handle well right out of the box. I've lowered mine - 1-1/4'' front, 1-3/4'' rear - with shorter, stiffer springs, and also replaced the rear lower control arms with tubular ones. C&L cold air intake, FRPP 3.73 gears, FRPP "Stinger" mufflers (actually Borla), SCT X3 custom tuned by Bama...

Used to have this gear haulin rod. '73 Ford Ranchero

And this was my '67 Mustang GTA.

The under-hood simplicity couldn't be beat!

Dream car??? I guess it will always be a Shelby Mustang of some sort. Preferably a '67 GT350.  :mrgreen:

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 10:32:56 AM »
^^ Nice!  At one point I was looking at the old Mustangs as a possible driver, but acv policy insurance is too restrictive to use it as a semi-daily given the cost of those cars now.  The Z is still cheap enough to where I can take the hit (pun intended).

My favorites were the fastbacks!  67-68.

Love the Torino GTs as well: