Author Topic: Summer Movies  (Read 8768 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Movies
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 03:15:31 PM »
The Cage, of course, Al...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 08:46:00 PM »
Yes.  As soon as they named him, I remembered the disabled captain in the rolling device...and that he was their first captain.  They paid attention to detail. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 12:23:33 AM »
Should've titled this thread 2009 movies. Guess we can discuss the upcoming Fall & winter ones here too.

Surrogates starring Bruce Willis looks WILD!

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 03:04:55 AM »
That Surrogates flic looks interesting. That said, I wouldn't want my robot to replace me in all activities.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 04:41:54 AM »
I really liked the latest Harry Potter and the new Star Trek film.

The Harry Potter movie is appropriately dark, given the way the books become progressively more serious.  The Star Trek movie was just a kick in the butt, and I got a big grin out of how they managed the obligatory business of working the necessary characters into the plot.

Did all of you remember where Christopher Pike (the Captain in the new Star Trek) appeared in the original Star Trek series?  I thought his part was exceptionally well managed.

The role of Pike was the only acting job Jeffrey Hunter ever did after King of Kings
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 10:24:28 AM »
I found the current Harry Potter labored and not fluid at all. It apes the books (for fear of wrath of the HP trainspotter community) to a degree it has become a three hour drawing by numbers (or book chapters)  :bored:, sacrifing movie indentity and cinematic language in the process. In a a way those movies are verbose, yet fail to tell the core story engagingly.

And I definitely do not wish to see another quidditch game either (that time could have been spent more efficiently on a bit more focus on Snape's ordeal and plight in following Dumbledor's wish). They serve no purpose in the story line and just demonstate how much computer animation progresses from film to film/sequel to sequel. I also notice there is less and less focus on characters outside of the three kids/adolescents which is a pity because the first HP was probably the best as regards painting ther other characters.   

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 10:37:35 AM »

I have to say I really enjoyed Star Trek, I thought it quite entertaining and felt that it dovetailed with the exsisting premise pretty well  :thumbsup:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Darrol

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 10:54:05 AM »
I agree with Uwe about Harry Potter. I get the feeling that they rely on the fact that they have 2 more movies to make in order to clear up what they thought they had to do going from book to movie. By the end of the 6th book, Harry knew all but 2 of the items he was looking for and how to destroy them. For those 2 items he did not know about, he had a good idea of what they would be. In the movie he just know that the locket was fake and that there are more horcruxes out there. I have a feeling that the flashback thing they did when he touched the ring causing it to spin will play a bit of a role when they try and clean this up.
There are many in this world that call me Darrol, feel free to be apart of that group.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 12:48:18 PM »
Saw Ingloriuos Basterds. A fun movie but could have beenb shortened and or done more with the characters & back grounds. Great Characters, the Britsh ones not so much.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 02:45:19 PM »
"Surrogates" looks like a cross of Bob Sheckley and Phil K Dick...  right up my genre... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 02:17:34 AM »
District 9 is SICK!  :o  I loved it.

Just go see it!!!  That's all I'm gonna say.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 02:45:18 AM »
I thought it's supposed to be more thoughtful than sick? It got rave reviews in Germany and not for being a Sci Fi movie.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 04:13:43 AM »
Sick means cool or awesome now.

No one wants to talk about Inglorious Basterds?

My take on it-
This movie comes off as a fun loving Nazi killing movie on the surface, but in my opinion, sensationalizes the persecution of a group of people (insert any group) southern lynch mob style. It makes the viewer come away enjoying the experience, which in fact makes me question what I saw & felt. Much like Dirty Harry where one administers their own "brand" of justice.

The problem here, at least with me is, they administer it to regular German soldiers, not just SS, then they have no problem letting the nemesis & Jew Hunter walk away. To me this was the irony in the movie.

I'm not sure what the intention is with Tarintino, but certainly made me question my morals after watching it, much like I did after seeing Pulp Fiction.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:32:39 AM by Barklessdog »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 04:36:16 AM »
"Sick means cool or awesome now."

You mean US slang has changed since the seventies?  ??? Danke!  :mrgreen: I come from an age when "sick" meant "gross".

Tarantino doesn't really advocate ethics i.e. keeps you on the edge in your assumptions who or what is good or evil.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 05:34:30 AM »
I remember going to see Pulp Fiction and the scene where they accidentally shoot Marvin in the face, everyone in the theatre busted out in laughter. I was horrified and they were laughing. I found it kind of grisly & Romanesque.