Author Topic: I think I'm officially old...  (Read 4530 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: I think I'm officially old...
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 07:41:25 PM »
I just noticed the "Return" key says "Enter" WTF?!!!  :o

Hah!  Called it a "Return" key. Anyone under 30 is wondering what you meant.  ;)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 07:59:09 PM »
I earned my A+ in my junior high typing class and I don't know what happened, but now it's all hunt and peck, though I have noticed the skill improving of late (I still suck). I also was able to play guitar for two years and then just kind of forgot how; I just remembered I had a left hand finger cut off and reattached- so I guess I solved that mystery!

I used to LOVE playing with my great grandfather's old manual typewriter from when he was sheriff during the Depression. The ink reels were too much fun. I have to say that I abandoned the double-spaced period but have noted that most fonts include sentence justification automatically. Forum grammar is still a bit free-form; indents end up looking like missing ellipses, so it's double space returns rather than four spaces indents denoting new paragraphs for me most times.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2015, 07:53:52 AM »
I still have a little boxed Royal typewriter from my mom and dad. I remember in about 1971 I was taking a broadcast journalism class that involved a lot of typing in class. I was still hunt-and-pecking and needed to get better.

I took a few days at spring break that semester, went up to our (pretty rustic) cabin on lake Coeur d'Alene, and spent three or four days with that Royal typewriter, an old 50's vintage "how to learn typing" book, and a lot of white paper. I spent hours on the deck looking over the lake and practicing typing. Took breaks for beer and burgers. When I came back I knew how to type, minus the proper technique for the numbers. I just got faster since then.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2015, 12:56:15 PM »

I'm so old I fart dust  :-[
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2015, 04:48:08 PM »
I'm so old I remember Absorbine Senior.

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
Vindication!!!
"Why two spaces after a period isn't wrong (lies typographers tell about history)"
http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=324
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 09:06:17 AM »
Two spaces after a period was a standard practice in academe until recently. Of course, academe is far from the most progressive and flexible  culture.

I'm wondering if standard practice is two beers per burger.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 10:33:12 AM »
At least two per burger.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 02:51:14 PM »
Let's feel old....

The first Black Sabbath album came out 46 years ago.

Muse is now playing on the piped music in the grocery store.

I just heard Iggy Pop piped over the speakers in Macy's yesterday.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2015, 07:54:15 AM »
The first record I remember buying is a 1954 recording of Hernando's Hideaway by Archie Bleyer, bought in a second-hand store on .45 around 1960. I think it's still a pretty cool number.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2015, 08:02:39 AM »
that song was a big hit back in the fifties. i heard it all the time because my mom would play top 40 ? radio all day.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Actually, with a drummer who likes to play solos, that would be a fun tune to re-do with a light rock sound. Just substitute the drummer for the castanets.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2015, 03:56:03 PM »
Archie Bleyer was an interesting guy, founded Cadence Records, then married one of the Chordettes, who were Cadence artists. His stepdaughter married another Cadence artist, Phil Everly. All in the family.

Link Wray had some unflattering things to say about him, but I never believed it, since most of Link's claims were utter BS.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2015, 10:20:03 AM »
Old?

I have a Heathkit tube tester in the basement, and a monocular (half a binocular set) from Herter's.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2015, 09:16:29 PM »
We tested our tubes at 7-11.