Author Topic: Eastwood RD Bass  (Read 11647 times)

leftybass

• View Profile
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Alanko

• View Profile
Re: Eastwood RD Bass
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 07:00:54 AM »
Audacious use of Gibson's own photography there. I understand the Krist Novoselik model has Jazz bass pickups because Krist's original bass had these, as per some bootleg Nirvana videos I happen to own. I would prefer to see Eastwood use something a little more original but, if nothing else, it will make an interesting modding platform without having to hack up an original.

All of this hinges on pesky crowdfunding though!

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »
Weird they base this bass on the Krist Novoselic Sig bass and not on the real RD Artist.  :sad:
I've always found those JB single coils an ill fit on the Gibson RD...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 09:46:59 AM »
Their whole justification for calling this an RD Artist vs Standard is that they will include an active treble boost  (a la the RD Artists bright mode).  I find this hilarious as the bright mode was the most useless feature of the RD Artist electronics.  The active (boost and cut) bass and treble tone controls were the best part of that.... and some of us liked the FX mode quite a bit too.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
Alright, well, obviously a bad idea to post about this. Thought someone might dig it. Carry on.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
Not at all. I just think it's a bit silly they chose the wrong bass to copy.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 11:02:44 AM »
Alright, well, obviously a bad idea to post about this. Thought someone might dig it. Carry on.

Not at all.  We obviously dig RDs, but that doesn't mean the perpetual bellyache squad can't/won't make criticisms and opinionated observations.  Gibson has us very used to such disappointments.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2015, 12:49:05 PM »
"...the perpetual bellyache squad..."

Well said! 

Cool offering as far as I'm concerned.  I'm not an RD fan, but it's an interesting addition for Eastwood.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 05:16:39 PM »
Would something like this need to be licensed by Gibson? Just curious how something like this works. 
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 05:21:02 PM »
Would something like this need to be licensed by Gibson? Just curious how something like this works.

I doubt it. You can't claim trademark on something you no longer produce. That might not stop Gibson from trying to bully them though.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 05:33:18 PM »

They only need a license if Gibson has a trademark on the body shape.

If the 'RD Artist' name is trademarked Eastwood couldn't use that either no matter what the body shape.

I doubt it. You can't claim trademark on something you no longer produce.

Actually, you can if no one else has trademarked it.  Phantom Guitar Works owns the trademark on Vox's original Phantom and teardrop shapes because Vox supposedly abandoned it.  That's why the Vox Phantom reissue  (32" scale) is not available in the US. 

Gibson could have applied for a trademark on the RD shape/name when they did the recent reissue if they didn't already have one.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 03:01:45 AM »
I doubt Eastwood could ask such a low price if they were considering reproducing the original Moog electronics. It will come down to what they can source already. Artec make a QP clone, for example, with the bigger pole pieces.

I see this as a blessing in disguise. The pickups are the smallest, spatially, that they could use. Therefore there is plenty of room to route for different pickups. Fancy an RD bass with Darkstars? Bartolini soapbars? MM-style humbuckers? It could all be done. There is room in the electronics cavity for all sorts of mischief as well. Fancy spooning an ACG preamp in there?

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »
I doubt Eastwood could ask such a low price if they were considering reproducing the original Moog electronics.

Yeah.  I didn't see the price before.  Surprisingly affordable.  My point wasn't that they should have repro'd the Moog circuit at that pricepoint (or at all; probably not worth it), but rather that they should have referred to this as an RD Standard (or just RD).   For fans, the 'Artist' designation means something and this bass isn't it.   I certainly wouldn't want their silly treble boost circuit (in the bass version; might be cool in the geetar).

That pic is of an actual Gibson RD Bass reissue so we don't know what the Eastwood version would look like (details; e.g finish colour as per their speil) or what the pups would be.  Chances are they'd use some sort of J style pup (because that's easy, and their drawings seem to imply that, thugh I'm not sure where those came from), but probably not the same Seymour Duncans Gibson did on the reissue.... Use of the J style is, I think, a mistake in the Gibson reissue/sig, despite Novoselic's vintage bass purportedly sporting them at some point (though if it's his sig, and he wanted it that way, fine, but still think it was a bad decision). They also make no mention of the wood choice.

Not realistic for production, but as a mod I think some G3 Bill Lawrence pups (bridge position not quite so at the bridge) or some lipsticks would be cool in this thing. 

They also need better copy writers.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
I'm speechless that they have the nerve to use a Gibson model and then say "ours will be just like it but different enough so they can't sue us". If nothing else, Gibson has rights to that pic. Using it commercially and then even messing around with it to depict how the "own" model will eventually look screams for a cease and desist order IMHO.   >:(  I'm generally not very sensitive on these matters, but this is beyond cheeky.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 09:00:12 AM »
That occurred to me too, but we had a similar argument recently (about knock off Les Pauls) and I figured we'd not want to go there again.  ... though this is a little different/miore brazen (though if you recall, that luthier also said something similar, like this is just enough difference from a Gibson so they won't sue... he was wrong).