Author Topic: Gibson contest backfires  (Read 4545 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Gibson contest backfires
« on: June 07, 2015, 08:45:46 PM »
Possibly Gibson's dumbest PR move ever: in honor of Les Paul's 100th birthday (Tuesday June 9th), Gibson has announced a contest where entrants can "win" (their words) a 2015 Les Paul guitar, and not only that, you have a one-in-ten chance of winning.

The catch? In order to enter, you have to buy a new 2015 Les Paul on June 9th  (any model with the Les Paul 100 signature on the headstock, the one almost everyone seems to hate. And you have to submit an essay which they will judge). So you can't "win" a guitar, you just have a one-in-ten chance of getting reimbursed. Pretty steep entry fee! Sounds like one of those lottery scams.

Reaction on Gibson's Facebook page has been brutal. A lot of the really blunt replies have been removed but it's still bad. I almost feel sorry for their spokesman who keeps insisting that it really is winning.

Anybody want to buy me a qualifying guitar on Tuesday?  :mrgreen: 2015 sales have tanked and they must be hoping for big sales, so we don't want to disappoint them do we? Sure, you could go for a Junior, but why not a $3500 Standard? If I "win" I promise to pay you back. If I don't, you'll be SOL.

ilan

• View Profile
Re: Gibson contest backfires
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 10:39:16 PM »
Sounds almost like a scam.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 06:17:47 AM »
What a scheiße idea. Shoot everyone in the promotion department - now.  8)
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:20:07 AM »
I just read through many of the comments.  I didn't even see ONE positive comment. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 12:12:21 PM »

See, having a Thunderbird playing Drag Queen as an endorsing artist doesn't seem even remotely a bad idea in comparison  :-* 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 12:22:06 PM »
Any make of bass is anointed by your DNA, Mark!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
Any make of bass is anointed by your DNA, Mark!

I do try and wipe the instruments down that I send to you - that whole germs crossing international borders thingy..........  :o 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:47:26 PM »
What a scheiße idea. Shoot everyone in the promotion department - now.  8)

Do you doubt even for a minute that Henry was personally involved? I don't.

A meeting with Henry probably goes like this.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 12:55:39 PM »
Forgot to mention, the rules (.pdf) state that the "winners" will receive an IRS Form 1099-Misc. So your "winnings" will be taxed as ordinary income. Some prize!

The rules also give details of how the 300 words-or-less "narrative" the entrant must write will be judged: 33% originality, 33% humor, and 34% how Les Paul would have replied to such a question (of  why you like the guitar). Seriously.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 01:33:36 PM »
I don't want to compare this too much to Peavey because I realize Gibson and Peavey are two totally different things.  But several months ago there was a show "Undercover Boss" which showed how out of touch Peavey was with reality.  I think Gibson may need to do its own reality check.  Some of these ideas are getting downright bizarre.  It really doesn't hurt to actually see what the general public is thinking and feeling.  Of course, Peavey's problem was how radically out of touch it was with its workers.  A really ugly scenario, IMO. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 02:01:18 PM »
Did you know that me and Les Paul had exactly...

Well knock me down with a large slab of mahogany and ebony... I never knew what we shared... anyone care to surprise me with a treat in the morning...!?! :P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

fur85

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 08:10:16 PM »
I agree that bad corporate culture contributed to this. Somebody had to know this was a bad idea but kept their mouth shut. Pieces of this promotion make sense. Ask people to write an essay why it's a great guitar, check. Have lots of winners, check. Celebrate Les Paul's 100th birthday, check. Make thousands of your potential customers angry and make 9 out of 10 of your actual customers who buy a Les Paul feel like losers, oops. This could wind up in a marketing text book someday.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 08:38:28 PM »
I agree that bad corporate culture contributed to this. Somebody had to know this was a bad idea but kept their mouth shut. Pieces of this promotion make sense. Ask people to write an essay why it's a great guitar, check. Have lots of winners, check. Celebrate Les Paul's 100th birthday, check. Make thousands of your potential customers angry and make 9 out of 10 of your actual customers who buy a Les Paul feel like losers, oops. This could wind up in a marketing text book someday.

This, and their whole 2015 guitar marketing effort could wind up as a case study: the 29% price increase, the mandatory G Force tuners, the goofy headstock signature (being mocked as "leo paul 100") instead of the usual Les Paul Model, the zero fret nut, and the wider neck. I expect all will either be walked back or completely gone next model year, if not before.

Well knock me down with a large slab of mahogany and ebony... I never knew what we shared... anyone care to surprise me with a treat in the morning...!?! :P

You're turning 100 tomorrow? You don't look a day over 90!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
This, and their whole 2015 guitar marketing effort could wind up as a case study: the 29% price increase, the mandatory G Force tuners, the goofy headstock signature (being mocked as "leo paul 100") instead of the usual Les Paul Model, the zero fret nut, and the wider neck. I expect all will either be walked back or completely gone next model year, if not before.

Which, if they were Fenders, would make them highly collectible in 20 years.  Does it work the same for Gibsons?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 09:50:07 AM »
I have never seen a company so hell bent on self destruction.  What a bunch of morons.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!