Author Topic: Gibson contest backfires  (Read 4544 times)

Rob

• View Profile
Re: Gibson contest backfires
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2015, 10:30:19 AM »
Which, if they were Fenders, would make them highly collectible in 20 years.  Does it work the same for Gibsons?

]Naw. . .I think it leaves them shunned in the pawn shops.  :rolleyes:

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2015, 11:58:59 AM »
You're turning 100 tomorrow? You don't look a day over 90!

:P :mrgreen:

I wonder how many mugs morons just plain idiots adventurers will enter the competition...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2015, 12:34:40 PM »
I have never seen a company so hell bent on self destruction.  What a bunch of morons.

I've never seen anything like it, either.  What else can they do that goes beyond this? 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 01:23:58 PM »
Buy Fender and re-brand... :vader:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 02:11:42 PM »
While looking over some news items, I ran across this:  another article on Gibson.  I must say a number of these comments at the bottom are not really very impressive.  Gibson may be making some serious marketing mistakes, but most of the "solutions" I'm seeing from readers' comments at the bottom of the "Gawker" article are pretty ill-informed.  A waste of time to read, actually. 

http://gawker.com/what-the-hell-is-happening-at-gibson-guitar-1710099770

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 02:26:40 PM »
Gibson's mistakes have never been more collectible than their best sellers. And from all reports, this year has been a sales disaster.

What Henry J. obviously wants to do is to innovate. His earlier attempts haven't worked (Firebird X, Robot etc.) because Gibson buyers just don't want them. Trying to force it with the whole guitar line was exactly the wrong thing to do. Something tells me he won't repeat this year's mistake, especially after the reaction to this promotion.

I did see American Musical's blurb on FB about today's promo. At least they called it a one-in-ten chance of reimbursement instead of winning.

Gibson will probably sell more guitars today, since there must be at least a few people ready to buy soon who will go ahead and buy today. But that won't increase overall sales, and the blowback might even cause sales to fall further.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 05:20:09 PM »
Seriously, the EB fiver was the only Gibson bass that might have been able to do the gig that I do. Stupid to discontinue.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 01:59:13 PM »
I heard that from my German shop today too, Gibson is currently in total disarray about missed budgets and failed model lines. And whether the 2015 V will ever see the light of day is up in the cards. It looks like the Continental V (shelved by Henry for being "too Tobias") and the Tobias Growler by Gibson Guitar of Month (shelved by Henry because of the Nashville flood and ptoduction of other models taking precedence once the water receded) fate all over again.  8) Ah, yes, Gibson and boutique basses, not a match made in or for heaven ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2015, 05:05:06 PM »
I have an idea.  How's about going back to basics, examine the entire process from the ground up and implement a genuine quality process like, as much as it pains me to say, Lean Six Sigma?  Spend a little more money on material and little more time in production but turn out a lots less sloppy crap that saves a lot of money on the back side.  Whoever the hell Gibson hired for marketing and R&D should be shown the door yesterday - I mean, really, what research could had justified the Fireturd?  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:07:08 PM by Lightyear »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2015, 05:10:47 PM »

I think Henry could hire a troop of Baboons to replace both himself and all the upper management - They could hardly do worse, he could pay them less - plus Henry could take another vacation...
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2015, 06:05:30 PM »

I think Henry could hire a troop of Baboons to replace both himself and all the upper management - They could hardly do worse, he could pay them less - plus Henry could take another vacation...

:mrgreen:

The baboons wouldn't smuggle exotic woods either.  ;D

I wonder if this year's sales fiasco and the reaction to this contest will get through to Henry that he can't force changes on a market that doesn't want it. Maybe he'll learn his lesson. One can hope, but don't hold your breath.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2015, 07:14:44 PM »
Maybe he's holding out hope for a federal bailout from his favorite president.  Tanking your own business on purpose worked for the Wall Street banks. :mrgreen:

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2015, 12:06:46 AM »
I posted about the contest on a Dutch guitarist forum. And I also put the link to all the Facebook reactions.

Geetards don't seem to think it is as stupid as we are all convinced it is.
Not many negative comments.
Goes to prove most guitarists are baboons too  :mrgreen:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2015, 02:47:27 AM »
I have yet to spot a difference. Perhaps baboons aren't as self-centered?
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2015, 04:27:11 AM »
Perhaps baboons aren't as self-centered?

Really? Weren´t they the first mammals to masturbate?