Author Topic: Rest In Peace, Mr. Spock.  (Read 5382 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: Rest In Peace, Mr. Spock.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2015, 11:32:44 PM »
One of my favorites.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2015, 11:33:49 PM »
This one bummed me out.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2015, 06:37:30 AM »
Old Vulcanians never die, they are just beamed to somewhere else.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 09:24:54 AM »
I'm astonished at the public criticism of Shatner for not attending the funeral. The man is in his 80s, was in Florida appearing at a Red Cross charity event the night before -- he had committed to it months before -- and he's supposed to cancel it, leave the charity in the lurch, drop everything and immediately fly to California? All because he worked with the man years ago? Honest to God, get a grip, people. They weren't really Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2015, 09:40:34 AM »
I'm astonished at the public criticism of Shatner for not attending the funeral. The man is in his 80s, was in Florida appearing at a Red Cross charity event the night before -- he had committed to it months before -- and he's supposed to cancel it, leave the charity in the lurch, drop everything and immediately fly to California? All because he worked with the man years ago? Honest to God, get a grip, people. They weren't really Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock.

It's just a perfect illustration of how judgmental people have become.  Instant communication on a very widespread basis just makes this very easy to do, too.  I can almost assure you that many of them know very little of Shatner's and Nimoy's background.  Like how close they really were.  I am getting genuinely alarmed at the "rush to judgment" mentality of the public in general.  I tend to go in the opposite direction, deliberate too much sometimes.  That's a fault, too, definitely.  But I'd rather be that way than to go off half-cocked making instant judgments based on incomplete info. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2015, 10:16:24 AM »
Too many people are A**holes that live out their lives in some fantasy land. They criticize others for doing things that don't fit their fantasy.  They don't like their own lives so they impose their agendas on others.

Shatner had a commitment, and it was a worthwhile one to a charity that Nimoy would most likely have endorsed as well.

I'm a Shatner fan, but this is simply the way life happens.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
I don't think that Herr Nimoy is currently in any rush for people to see him, he has all the time in the world.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 01:10:29 PM »
Not only that, but what do you think Shatner would be faced with at the funeral? A bunch of ninnies pestering him for a comment, which he sort of made a few days prior. I'm sure they knew this was coming. No need to turn it into a circus.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »
True, if I was Shatner, I'd probably visit Spock's new home on some rainy early Sunday morning when there is no one around. It will be besieged by Trekkies forever.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 05:25:02 PM »
He can pay his respects at a time of his own choosing... in private...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2015, 05:29:21 PM »
Social media is an abomination.  Everyone's opinion is now the most important thing on earth and we are experiencing the new era of "mob rule."  Everything is playing out in social media these days and we are all now susceptible to the whims of mobs from across the globe.  Man are we screwed.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2015, 05:45:41 PM »
E Pluribus Screw-em...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2015, 06:56:59 PM »
Social media is an abomination.  Everyone's opinion is now the most important thing on earth and we are experiencing the new era of "mob rule."  Everything is playing out in social media these days and we are all now susceptible to the whims of mobs from across the globe.  Man are we screwed.

And I never dreamed I would despise anything so much as the mob rule which you are so accurately describing here.  It is a gigantic blow to fact-checking, research, critical thinking skills, accuracy, and God only knows what else. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2015, 08:45:13 PM »

And I never dreamed I would despise anything so much as the mob rule which you are so accurately describing here.  It is a gigantic blow to fact-checking, research, critical thinking skills, accuracy, and God only knows what else. 

Mob rule is always bad, but the speed at which info can travel through social media isn't necessarily bad. It can call out foolish or dangerous behavior. Are you familiar with the term Streisand effect? Social media helps make it possible.

OTOH bandwagon-jumping by people who aren't capable of thinking things through makes me shake my head.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 08:26:59 AM »

I agree.