Author Topic: Rest In Peace, Mr. Spock.  (Read 5396 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Rest In Peace, Mr. Spock.
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 08:47:41 AM »
I hadn't heard about the Streisand effect.  It does seem to be very real sometimes, though.  As for communication, sometimes that can be positive or negative, just like the Internet itself.  It really does go both ways. 

It's Dr. Bassman's point about everyone thinking his opinion is the most important thing on earth which probably bothers me the most.  Somehow we really do seem to be getting to this point.   That's just not good on so many levels.  George Bernard Shaw anticipated our own time when he said--"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." 

I'll just add that there seems to be a lot of both false knowledge and ignorance going around, too.  Needless to say, this often ends up with people pushing their own subjective views as truth. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 09:23:57 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2015, 06:16:31 AM »
Social media is an abomination.  Everyone's opinion is now the most important thing on earth and we are experiencing the new era of "mob rule."  Everything is playing out in social media these days and we are all now susceptible to the whims of mobs from across the globe.  Man are we screwed.

It's not just social media, its the internet in general. I'm all for an exchange of information, knowledge and yeah, even opinion - but as with most things, these too get corrupted by those with an agenda or ax too grind. Facts are manipulated, juxtaposed or omitted, and many people never bother to question the veracity or the source - they just repost. Opinion and speculation become fact - de facto - and we all know that perception is reality these days.
One thing is for certain - human beings can invariably be counted on to screw up a good thing.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
There is need for a new communications skill - actually not completely new, but very important: assessing the source of any information. People are doing a bad job of this, even though much of the misinformation and outright lies on the interwebs comes with warning flags all over it.

It also shows that people tend to read stuff that reinforces their existing belief set, not that which challenges it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2015, 12:50:07 PM »
There is need for a new communications skill - actually not completely new, but very important: assessing the source of any information. People are doing a bad job of this, even though much of the misinformation and outright lies on the interwebs comes with warning flags all over it.

I saw this in action just yesterday when someone shared a story about a pet death, a beagle in Maryland (IIRC) who died after eating a treat sold at Walmart or Sam's. No autopsy, no evidence that the treat had anything to do with the dog's death, but the dog's owner feels that the treat caused the death. It's possible, of course, but nothing to back it up but her feelings. So now a squad of morons is sharing posts all over FB based on nothing, and probably destroying the treat manufacturer's business.

It also shows that people tend to read stuff that reinforces their existing belief set, not that which challenges it.

For sure. Too many people enjoy being in an echo chamber.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2015, 01:28:32 PM »
Years ago I remember reading an enjoyable book which helped people try to understand what type of person they were.  For example, idealist, realist, pragmatist, etc.  It was a lightweight book mostly written for fun.  But it did have some valid points.  If you scored as a realist, it offered you the following advice:

You are a realist.  You tell the truth.  But people don't want to hear the truth; they just want to hear something that's going to make them feel good.

Back in George Washington's time when I went to school, we actually had to write a lot of research papers, theses, etc.  We had to do research, question secondary sources, search for and then read and analyze primary sources, and draw our own conclusions.  In the process, I began to discover what it was like to think for myself rather than blindly following what others might have said.  I don't know how much this kind of thing is still going on in the educational system, but judging from what I see a lot--especially on the Internet--I have to wonder.  But a herd mentality seems to be alive and well with no signs of letting up. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Drug laced dog treats have hit major headlines in Europe with a dog death post the UK's top dog championships...

Re Streisand Effect... somewhat akin to reverse psychology...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2015, 02:50:44 PM »
Drug laced dog treats have hit major headlines in Europe with a dog death post the UK's top dog championships...

I read about the incident at Crufts, but what I was referring to wasn't about poison at all. The owner was claiming that the treat wasn't digested properly and broke apart in her dog's stomach. That may be true, but even if it is, it may not have anything to do with her dog dying. My problem with the whole matter is that it's a rush to judgment, never mind the lack of evidence.

The Streisand Effect isn't about reverse psychology, it's about an unintended boomerang effect. You try to silence someone to hide a problem (e.g. corruption) and you wind up calling more attention to it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »

I look at the Streisand Effect as being akin to the Law of Unintended Consequences. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »
I read about the incident at Crufts, but what I was referring to wasn't about poison at all. The owner was claiming that the treat wasn't digested properly and broke apart in her dog's stomach. That may be true, but even if it is, it may not have anything to do with her dog dying. My problem with the whole matter is that it's a rush to judgment, never mind the lack of evidence.

The Streisand Effect isn't about reverse psychology, it's about an unintended boomerang effect. You try to silence someone to hide a problem (e.g. corruption) and you wind up calling more attention to it.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but this increasing tendency the public seems to have to rush to judgment despite lack of evidence honestly troubles me a lot.  I notice it all the time now.  My only real observation on the matter is that people don't seem to have the patience they used to have.  They want things done quickly, period. 

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2015, 10:08:13 PM »
Got on both cheers Dave... agree about rush to as (obviously) the owners (in Belgium) and press here are reporting "facts" before they exist - toxicology reports have not been produced and probably won't be for weeks yet, when the story will have drifted away...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »
Here's an example of the Streisand Effect in action with a little dose of Godwin's Law

Apartment Complex Claims Copyright Of Tenants' Reviews And Photos, Charges $10k Fee For Criticism

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2015, 12:19:22 AM »
Yep... nice... ta... :o