Author Topic: Lowe Shop Notes  (Read 98622 times)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: Lowe Shop Notes
« Reply #525 on: July 09, 2021, 08:16:19 PM »
The 32" medium scale conversion necks have been my most successful venture. I'm going to try to build on that over the next few months.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #526 on: August 15, 2021, 11:02:32 AM »
The workbenches and shelves I built back in 2011 served their purpose for a decade. The tall shelves are at my brother's place along with the largest remaining woodworking tools and all milling, shaping, and finishing is done off-site. My current home workshop/office is where I accomplish all assembly and minor fabrication tasks. Understanding that, I broke down one of the work tables to serve as a bench for the ROSS and the plastic tables serve as general workbenches for sawing and routing when as the need arises. In many ways, I'm back where I started, but a whole lot wiser for the experience.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #527 on: August 16, 2021, 09:46:40 AM »
Lindy Fralin builds two 5-string pickups for me under a P90 cover with no holes. The first is his Big Single, a sidewinder design that uses a magnet in top of a mild steel blade. The magnet used in the pickup is a bit of a trade secret and it's not what is shown in the photo.

In order to accommodate a 5-string bass, I had to have wider blades cut from mild steel. I also need to cut and glue together guitar bobbins. I made up a cutting jig and use a blade wrapped in packing tape as a gluing jig. These are ready for winding and Lindy's shop will take it from here.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 09:58:32 AM by BeeTL »

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #528 on: August 16, 2021, 07:45:50 PM »
My second Fralin 5-string option is a Split-J 3+2 under a P90 cover with no holes. I cut down, shape and narrow standard bobbins and use a scrap dogear P90 plate for fitment. I'm a sucker for noise canceling so I have both of these Fralin sets wired up with braided leads. I also offer a Lollar Thunderbird V and I haven't seen anybody else offer them yet.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #529 on: August 18, 2021, 04:09:39 AM »
   Impressive work Brad!
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #530 on: August 18, 2021, 10:36:01 AM »
Thank you so much!

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #531 on: December 21, 2021, 03:58:07 PM »
Between the pandemic, building a house in 2020, building a pool in 2021, and supply chain challenges, my builds have been at a standstill for a while. That's all about to change. I'm off work between now and January 3 and I have a pretty good backlog of inventory...the wheels are in motion! Here's the first update, installing machines and fitting the neck on a Chromasonic V that's been in the pipeline for longer than I care to admit.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #532 on: December 21, 2021, 08:03:45 PM »
Due to backlogs and capacity challenges in their core business, my current OEM is no longer able to supply me with custom hardware. Also, I'm seeing a LOT of builders on Instagram using hexagonal pickup rings, so...it's time for a new OEM and an updated perimeter shape. The new outline is backwards compatible with my current rings & rout and refines the design in a way that covers the rout in a simpler, less obtrusive, and (I think) more appealing manner.

The new designs are laser cut from mild steel by Send Cut Send, the mounting holes are countersunk on my drill press, then they're shipped off to Advanced Plating in Nashville to be plated in shiny chrome. The updated control plate is configured so a Switchcraft toggle can be mounted on one end or in the middle. A #7 O-ring will perfectly center a CTS pot in the oversized hole for V/V/T applications. 

« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 09:46:57 PM by BeeTL »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: December 22, 2021, 06:46:17 AM »
I like those better than the hexagonal ones.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #534 on: December 22, 2021, 12:21:08 PM »
Thank you! The hexagonal rings and bridges were originally intended to be "trade dress", but I learned they could never have been trademarked. Now that I can't get them made, I decided to reconsider the design concept. 

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #535 on: December 23, 2021, 09:00:27 PM »
I like to think of these as GT40 colors, but I think they're actually Porsche Gulf Livery. Tis enough, twill serve.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #536 on: December 24, 2021, 10:00:04 AM »
Nice choice!  I have always liked that color on the Gulf Porsches...and it's certainly a classic in that world.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #537 on: December 24, 2021, 11:34:22 AM »
On the back of my FenderBird.  ;D

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: December 25, 2021, 06:12:44 PM »