Author Topic: Lowe Shop Notes  (Read 98448 times)

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
Re: Lowe Shop Notes
« Reply #375 on: June 09, 2019, 05:55:41 PM »
Today was the day to install threaded inserts.

First I locate the insert on the neck with an awl, mark the location with a sharpie, and drill on the drill press.

The Irwin clamp keeps the neck from rocking on the frets during the process.

Next I tap the hole, and using dedicated sacrificial inserts I locate and drill center holes that allow the mounting bolts to penetrate past the insert and into the neck.

I modified a cheap screwdriver to use as a driver for the inserts.

Finally, I install the insert, lock it in place with thin CA, chase the threads, and tap the wood below.

Once it's time to attach the neck, the locating pins assist with any fine-tuning of the mounting holes in the body that may be required.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #376 on: June 10, 2019, 07:29:18 AM »
Very helpful, Brad. I assume that in "locating" the neck, you make an attempt to assure that the strings will align well as a result of the final neck position. Any clues on how to do that before stringing the neck?

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #377 on: June 10, 2019, 01:09:38 PM »
Great idea.
I have always wondered why bolt-on neck don't come standard with those threaded inserts.
And each time I see a vintage 7ender that is for sale and some idiot has taken of the neck to show a stamp in the neck pocket (or whatever) I think, how many times can you do this until the screws won't hold the neck any longer?

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #378 on: June 10, 2019, 09:45:12 PM »
Very helpful, Brad. I assume that in "locating" the neck, you make an attempt to assure that the strings will align well as a result of the final neck position. Any clues on how to do that before stringing the neck?

In this context it's mostly about fine-tuning the line of the neck bolts through the heel.

On string alignment, I usually use the equivalent of kite string to confirm pickup placement before I drill the holes for the rings.

Great idea.
I have always wondered why bolt-on neck don't come standard with those threaded inserts.
And each time I see a vintage 7ender that is for sale and some idiot has taken of the neck to show a stamp in the neck pocket (or whatever) I think, how many times can you do this until the screws won't hold the neck any longer?

Thank you!

It's surprising to me how some folks push back against this idea as either over-engineering or outright bad design.

Once I learned the process, it became a no-brainer for me.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 10, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
Great idea.

Quite a few. I think I have taken the neck off my '74 P about 350 times since I started hacking it up at age 15 or something :)
No, seriously - they are made that way and you are supposed to take it off when adjusting it (unless it can be adjusted from the head).

Ok, I'm not a luthier and know you guys make beautiful instruments - but I have guitars through my workshop almost daily and have yet to see a neck that needed new threads. I have plugged many holes for redrilling - mostly in the pickguard area around jacks - but that's not something I would call a customer idiot for, nor would I say that about the manufacturer of the instrument. And even if it needs new threads, it's a fairly doable procedure.

I'm not saying threaded inserts is a bad idea, but the normal way of attaching a bolt on neck is not a bad idea either. Almost everything that can break on a Fender breaks before the neck falls off; electronics, hardware, finish, pickguard...

Dare I say I prefer set/glued necks?  :)

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #380 on: June 10, 2019, 10:46:02 PM »
Quite a few. I think I have taken the neck off my '74 P about 350 times since I started hacking it up at age 15 or something :)

Really? Wow. And never a problem?
Is that neck made of magical wood?  :o ;)

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 11, 2019, 02:11:57 AM »
Really? Wow. And never a problem?
Is that neck made of magical wood?  :o ;)

Maybe, that bass weighs a ton!

Please, I'm not saying that threaded inserts is a bad idea, but if Fenders with falling off necks is a common problem,
I just have not noticed that - no need to be sarcastic here :)

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2019, 08:07:19 AM »
Maybe, that bass weighs a ton!

Please, I'm not saying that threaded inserts is a bad idea, but if Fenders with falling off necks is a common problem,
I just have not noticed that - no need to be sarcastic here :)

I agree.  I suspect a bit of the problems are from abuse or players that don't ever check their gear.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 11, 2019, 06:34:46 PM »
The Fender screw-on neck attachment method works. So do string trees on a non-angled headstock, single-action truss rods, truss rod adjustment that requires neck removal, one-piece mahogany necks with steep headstock angles, an enormous cavity for a bridge pickup where a horseshoe magnet used to be. etc. Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker and a few others are expected to use what's always worked, mostly b/c their customer bases expects it. I don't blame them for it, not a bit.

Unless you're deliberately trying to create a slavish copy, you do what you can to try to improve the design. That's what Brad is doing.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: June 11, 2019, 10:12:22 PM »

Unless you're deliberately trying to create a slavish copy, you do what you can to try to improve the design. That's what Brad is doing.

I agree, Dave. And I understand 100% why Brad would want to improve design elements.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #385 on: June 12, 2019, 07:28:12 AM »
Something I've learned from forums like this is a trick to re-install Fender style necks.  Drop the screw into place through the neck, then rotate it back and forward in your fingertips until you feel it it drop into the existing thread marks in the body. Then you can screw it down without cutting new threads in the body wood.  Over time, this makes a difference and keeps the screw holes from wearing out to the point where the screws won't bite.

I like inserts and have done them in an Epi EB-0, although I later traded that bass away.  I very seldom have to remove necks anyway.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #386 on: June 12, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »
Thanks, guys...I really appreciate it!

I use building techniques and design choices that make sense to me and I share my processes with the community for informational purposes.

I have learned so much about the guitar building from online forums, and my build logs are my way of contributing to the knowledge base.

I don't believe that what I do is best for all, but it's what I've decided is best for me.

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #387 on: June 12, 2019, 06:40:22 PM »
The pace of progress is accelerating as Summer NAMM approaches.

All necks now have nuts installed, and most have inserts.

My buddy Dan's CAD>CNC>mill>prep>finish work is well represented as he CAD>prepped both Ridler VI bodies and CAD>finished the Primaluxe IV body.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:37:58 PM by BeeTL »

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2019, 03:05:47 PM »
We're officially on the map: Booth 2014

BTL

• View Profile
    • Lowe Custom Guitars
« Reply #389 on: June 22, 2019, 11:28:44 AM »
I love new hardware day more than my birthday.