Author Topic: "Why Bass Players Choose Gibson ..." (Warning: inane content)  (Read 3217 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
"Why Bass Players Choose Gibson ..." (Warning: inane content)
« on: November 11, 2014, 01:28:54 PM »
Whoever Anne Erickson is, she doesn't know much about Gibson basses or why people would play them.  :rolleyes: You can play as hard on a Les Paul Recording Bass as on a double bass (of course, their string tension is exactly the same!), Rippers and RDs have the hugest scales imaginable (not like these puny Fenders!) and Gene Simmons' most notable Gibson bass was an SG Guitar.   :mrgreen:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Why-Bass-Players-Choose-Gibson.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Gibson%20Brands,%20Inc.&utm_content=Editorial+eBlast+-+Nov.+11%2C+2014

She must be a 19 year old intern who got an assignment to "write something overnight and find some quotes". Little Anne really checked things out. The Washington Post should take notice of this young journalistic talent.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 01:40:46 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: "Why Bass Players Choose Gibson ..." (Warning: inane content)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:09:29 PM »
The Washington Post should take notice of this young journalistic talent.
Better yet, make her part of the Gisbon (that's what we call it around here) QC department.  She'll fit right in!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »
I can't take any article about Gibson basses and players seriously that doesn't give Jack Bruce more space than that.  He isn't much more than a footnote there.
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:19:41 PM »
I must have missed the part of the article where she tells us why bass players choose Gibson.

My monitor must be defective..

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 09:46:36 PM »
I can't take any article about Gibson basses and players seriously that doesn't give Jack Bruce more space than that.  He isn't much more than a footnote there.
She doesn't even realize that Jack Bruce died and that it was huge news in the bass world!  :o

Maybe having a Triumph in the pic will result in a reissue?  :mrgreen:

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:10:28 AM »
She doesn't even realize that Jack Bruce died and that it was huge news in the bass world!  :o

Maybe having a Triumph in the pic will result in a reissue?  :mrgreen:

I have to assume all of this was done before the news of Jack's death.  That interview really isn't the best thing to be looking at if your topic is Gibson basses, since it's really about "Silver Rails."  Jack did have some interesting things to say about Gibsons in some old interviews.  But I have to be honest, I wouldn't know where those interviews are, either. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

neepheid

• View Profile
    • The Inevitable Teaspoons
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 04:41:22 AM »
Banal and superfluous article aside - why indeed?  A question I have recently been finding myself asking, the more bloody production bloopers I find.

Answer: I was playing my NR Thunderbird at band rehearsal last night and it sounded absolutely majestic, filling the room with bass.  That's why I guess.  A wonky cavity cover can't change that.
Basses: Epi JC Sig 20th Anniversary - Epi Les Paul Standard - Epi Korina Explorer - G&L CLF L-1000 - G&L Tribute LB-100 - Sire D5 - Reverend Triad - Harley Benton HB-50
Band: The Inevitable Teaspoons

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 08:11:31 AM »

I was ranting about that too before I realized that her article is from early October 2014, so I deleted that part of my rant.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2014, 02:55:11 PM »
Gibson presents Anne Erickson: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/bios/45/

Here's more from her. From tree to guitar (Gibson). Step nr 6 is interesting. http://globaltexanchronicles.com/tree-guitar/

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2014, 03:02:30 PM »
I was ranting about that too before I realized that her article is from early October 2014, so I deleted that part of my rant.
Here in the US we do month/date/year, so I think that 11.10.2014 means Nov. 10, so please reinsert your rant!  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »
If that is the case, then Anne needs a hard (like you can play those LP Recording Basses) large scale (like those Rippers and RDs are) spanking. With a Warwick. A Vampyre would be quite fitting for the dungeon scene I have in mind.

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 05:28:07 PM »
Here in the US we do month/date/year, so I think that 11.10.2014 means Nov. 10, so please reinsert your rant!  ;D

Even then they had a copy call a month or two earlier. . . I would think  :o

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 09:43:41 PM »
Gibson presents Anne Erickson: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/lifestyle/bios/45/

Here's more from her. From tree to guitar (Gibson). Step nr 6 is interesting. http://globaltexanchronicles.com/tree-guitar/

She's experienced and she's written for music magazines. There's no excuse for her ignorance.

Not only was Step 6 interesting, she left out a step between 1 and 2 -- the step where Gibson illegally imports the wood.  ;D

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 10:07:58 AM »
Banal and superfluous article aside - why indeed?  A question I have recently been finding myself asking, the more bloody production bloopers I find.

Answer: I was playing my NR Thunderbird at band rehearsal last night and it sounded absolutely majestic, filling the room with bass.  That's why I guess.  A wonky cavity cover can't change that.

So I am saving myself the ire and not even reading the article.... but why DO we play Gibsons. 

1) What u said; dat ass
2) Everyone else (mostly) is playing Fenders (or clones).  I don't wanna sound like everybody else.  Luckily we're in no danger of Gibson basses catching on any more than they have already.
3) They look cool (from a distance, i.e. stage to crowd); dat ass again (I like reusing metaphors)
4) Variety; Fender does P and J (and hybrids/variations thereof).  Gibson has so many distinct  flavours to choose from. ...OK F has The Stang and other things now too, but that's recent and still pretty samey.
5) The neck profiles (doi)
6) I didn't get one just so I could, but since I do have a Triumph I can recreate this at will, and that just feels good:

Uwe, Im'a need to borrow your leather pants again.

(I'm a little giddy from first day getting over a fever)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 03:11:29 PM by Granny Gremlin »
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 01:40:21 PM »

I love Canadians!

I love The Cult too.  ;)

Glad you're feeling better Jake.

I play Gibson:

I really like Thunderbird necks, I really, really like Thunderbird necks.
I love how all the different ones I have sound, big, f*%king clanky, angry pianos, with widely varying degrees of f%7king angry clankyness.
God help me I love how they look - Nothing else even comes close to *right* for me -  Ughhhhh, no 7ender will ever *do* for this Gurl  ;D

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...