Author Topic: "Why Bass Players Choose Gibson ..." (Warning: inane content)  (Read 3216 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: "Why Bass Players Choose Gibson ..." (Warning: inane content)
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 02:27:06 PM »

I play Gibson:

I really like Thunderbird necks, I really, really like Thunderbird necks.
I love how all the different ones I have sound, big, f*%king clanky, angry pianos, with widely varying degrees of f%7king angry clankyness.
God help me I love how they look - Nothing else even comes close to *right* for me -  Ughhhhh, no 7ender will ever *do* for this Gurl  ;D

(As far as the question of why.) /thread

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 03:10:20 PM »
OMG I forgot the necks - going back for an edit.  I blame the fever.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 05:38:06 PM »
Sound, feel, classic looks, sound... sound...I can put up with some wonky finishes I guess.  And they're the only basses that offer the majestic 3-point  ;D.   or used to at least.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 10:32:23 PM »
Yep, you have to love the looks and tone of any particular Gibson model to want it. But most of her article has nothing to do with that.

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
Most of the popular Gibson Bass models are flat slab bodies.....easy to stand your beer on when they are laying one the ground.

More seriously, from the early days of rock, it was always Gibson if you wanted a bass that wasn't a bolt-on neck....Fender if you did.  That just carried over from the 60s for those who looked at photos of the basses their favorite bassists played.

That article was garbage. Maybe she did it to trade out for her new Gibson Bass ?

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
No, she got an Epi-EBO.  Maybe if they had given her a Gibson SG, the article would have been better.  I did find out, though, from the article that there's a band named Crobot. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
I play Gibson Epis cause of the neck profile! Well, the updated TB+ pickups didnt hurt either, but I REALLY love the neck. It's the only bass I can play in the dark and wont sound out of tune cause of me hitting the wrong frets most of the time. Also because it is cool. Very cool. Beyond coolness. Ice ice baby cool.

Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2014, 01:06:24 PM »
There is a world of difference between that an an Epi EBO, however.  The neck dive alone makes an Epi EB-O unplayable for me.  There is no neck dive at all on a Gibson EB-O.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 01:12:12 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2014, 06:16:58 PM »

Not only was Step 6 interesting, she left out a step between 1 and 2 -- the step where Gibson illegally imports the wood.  ;D

You old viper!  :rimshot:
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »
Why do I play Gibson?

Constant failure bred daring creativity in design and approaches. Fender and Ric have been doing the same thing for half a decade at least. How boring to get it right from day one, human perfection is heathenish in concept, we are born to fail.

Besides, a lot of Gibsons (SG-shapes, Explorer, T-Birds, Flying V and, yes, the 20/20) look idiosyncratic and have not been copied to death by lesser brands.

And I like the sound nature of maho. Je suis a pick playƩrrre, I have no need for bright sounding woods. There is no other bass brand that has stuck to maho like Gibson has (for the most part and the wealth of their models).

Finally: Not every Joe Blow plays one. People might compliment you on the sound of your P Bass, but they will never ask "what bass is that, never seen it, sounds great!".
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...