Author Topic: Brian Ray Epi Sg (custom?) sighting  (Read 4932 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Brian Ray Epi Sg (custom?) sighting
« on: August 16, 2014, 11:02:39 AM »
Paul McCartney played in San Francisco (Candlestick Park) acouple of nights ago, and Brian Ray was sporting a Black Epiphone SG long scale bass (with a pearly white pickguard and TRC). I was told that he has a Brian Ray Signature SG guitar made by Epiphone that has these same features. The bass is not on Epiphones website. In an interview not too long go, he mentioned that he really liked the tonal aspects and feel of the Epi JC Sig and started getting used to long scale basses. ( previously using the Guild M-85, then the Gibson SG bass, both short scales). As a guitarist he likes the larger Gretch guitars so the JCSig was not too cumbersome and he could still jump around on stage. The Epi he was sporting the other night did look cool. I found the Epi SG basses a little harsh sounding and did not like the long scale neck as it was too thick and neck heavy. Per haps ultra light keys might change things a bit. I'm thinking if he had Epi make this especially for him he might have addresses those glaring features considering the clout he might have by being so visible in MacCartney's band

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Ray Epi Sg (custom?) sighting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 04:52:50 AM »
Thanks!

Here it is, close up at 6:28:

Very phat body. The secret recipe to making it balance, but always a bit of a visual sacrifice with an SG shape bass.

Macca can still deliver. Tastefully done cosmetic surgery too though I'm sure John L. would have had a slightly disparaging comment for it!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:05:26 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 01:38:58 PM »
Yeah, wondering what the story is with that bass? Mr. Ray had stated in an interview several years ago about his decision to change over from the SG Bass ( as the sound was a bit "tubby" and as he had been playing  bass almost half the time for the past 10 years long scales were not as foreign) to  the JC Sig.
So Uwe this might not merely be a fin change. There might be more over and under the hood, starting with long scale.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 05:25:59 PM »
Several months ago, I was thinking about visiting a friend and noticed there was going to be a Paul McCartney concert near by.  Evidently, it's a good idea to buy the tickets as soon as possible.  There was nothing except some horrible seats that were so far behind the stage you wouldn't even be able to see anything.  It looks like Paul isn't having any trouble at all selling out concerts.  From what I understand, everything sold out within minutes. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 09:17:14 PM »
Paul played Target Field here on August 2nd, when tickets went on sale in late April they were gone in 20 minutes.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 06:20:40 AM »
Paul played Target Field here on August 2nd, when tickets went on sale in late April they were gone in 20 minutes.

It sounds very much like the concert I missed, three hours and over 40 songs. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 12:27:21 PM »
Tastefully done cosmetic surgery too though I'm sure John L. would have had a slightly disparaging comment for it!

Yeah, well John is not around, so I'll say that he looks like a cross between Don Imus and my Oma.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 01:28:00 PM »
Yeah, well John is not around, so I'll say that he looks like a cross between Don Imus and my Oma.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2014, 04:38:39 PM »

I've never heard the term "Oma" before.  I had to look it up.  I'm pretty sure I've never heard that even once in my life.  I'm assuming it's not Ontario Medical Association and is instead an informal word for grandma.  It's kind of strange how there can be so many different words for grandmother and grandfather in the English language. 

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2014, 05:26:48 PM »
I've never heard the term "Oma" before.  I had to look it up.  I'm pretty sure I've never heard that even once in my life.  I'm assuming it's not Ontario Medical Association and is instead an informal word for grandma.  It's kind of strange how there can be so many different words for grandmother and grandfather in the English language.

I'll wait for Uwe to handle this one...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 07:33:41 PM »
I'll wait for Uwe to handle this one...

Earlier tonight I was talking to a friend who has lived half her life in the South and half in the North.  I asked her about the term.  She said she has heard it up North, but can't remember hearing it down South.  She is a Southerner who now speaks with a Northern accent from living in the Northwest for the past 20+ years.  Anyway, "oma" to my ears sounds like something from a Hindu chant, not that there is anything wrong with that of course.  My friend's guess is that the word may be from Norwegian.  I'd guess it might be from German or Dutch, but really I don't know. 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 07:44:31 PM by westen44 »

--Blaise Pascal

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 08:02:01 PM »
One of my best friends growing up had an Oma, who was the mother of his Austrian father. Opa was gone by the time I met her, but Oma lived to be 101 or so. I'd have to say I agree with the comparison.

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 02:56:03 AM »
My friend's guess is that the word may be from Norwegian.

Never heard it here before, but then again - I´m from the south of Norway :)

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2014, 05:08:18 AM »
Opa en oma is normal in Dutch for grandfather and grandmother. Haven't heard it in another language yet. Maybe it has to do with Dutch immigrants?

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
There's never a German lawyer around when you need one... :sad:
My father's family were German immigrants in the late 1920s, so in my case it originated there.